• ...and so much more!
  • KGB-SPY

Sep 30, 2013
    Pikesville, MD
    BULLETIN
    LD-HQL-20-004
    December 28, 2020
    Discontinuing Printing of Handgun Qualification Licenses
    The Maryland Department of State Police, Licensing Division (MDSPLD) is constantly reviewing policy and procedures in order to enhance the experience of our customers, allied agencies, firearms instructors and dealers, all while being as fiscally responsible to the citizens of Maryland as possible. With this in mind, beginning January 1, 2021, the MDSPLD will discontinue printing the current paper Handgun Qualification License (HQL).
    All HQL applicants approved on or after January 1, 2021, will receive, via email, a notification that the application has been reviewed and approved. Attached to the email will be a pdf of the Handgun Qualification License (HQL). A printed copy of the pdf, or an electronic copy of the license, must be presented to a dealer or any other person, prior to selling, renting, or transferring a handgun, in accordance with MD Public Safety §5- 117.1 and COMAR 29.03.01.06. The discontinuation of printing of the HQL license will expedite the final process of the HQL and ultimately decrease the time it takes for the applicant to receive their HQL.
    Qualified Handgun Instructors (QHI) are also reminded that the individual student/applicant’s HQL account must be associated with the individual student/applicant’s personal email address.
    For further information on the HQL, please visit our website by clicking the following link: Handgun Qualification License. You may also contact us, via email, at: msp.hql@maryland.gov, and Regulated Firearms Dealers may contact us by utilizing the Livehelp feature within their Licensing Portal.
    Alert Bulletins are a service of the Maryland Department of State Police. The content of this document is for OFFICIAL USE ONLY. Any request for disclosure of this document, or the information contained herein, should be referred to either the originator of the Bulletin, or the Maryland Department of State Police, Licensing Division, 410.653.4500.
    UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    During my last purchase, the dealer didn't even want to see my HQL. The application number and PIN were enough.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    So, they went from plastic card with picture to plastic card no picture to papre card to no card at all.

And the $50 poll tax has stayed the same

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So, they went from plastic card with picture to plastic card no picture to papre card to no card at all.

And the $50 poll tax has stayed the same

Yeah what happened to the fiscally responsible part? If they’re saving money that should be passed on to the consumer. Lmao, like that would ever fvcking happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    During my last purchase, the dealer didn't even want to see my HQL. The application number and PIN were enough.
    The MSP slapped A1Uniform (I think?) when they did this way back when. It was really quite nice - you only had to come into the shop once. Apparently MSP wanted the store to see the HQL in person up front for reasons I don't quite understand.

That said, the need for a physical HQL is bizarre. Shouldn't MSP's web app check for it to begin with? Like, you shouldn't be able to complete a 77r app in the first place without a valid HQL.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The MSP slapped A1Uniform (I think?) when they did this way back when. It was really quite nice - you only had to come into the shop once. Apparently MSP wanted the store to see the HQL in person up front for reasons I don't quite understand.

That said, the need for a physical HQL is bizarre. Shouldn't MSP's web app check for it to begin with? Like, you shouldn't be able to complete a 77r app in the first place without a valid HQL.

You are exempt from the HQL requirement if purchasing a stripped lower receiver.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Well duh. I'm so MD whipped I'm actually glad it didn't double.

Fortunately, MSP can't double it without the legislature changing the state statute. But they can reduce it since they no longer have the machine and consumables to worry about.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    So far I have refused to get an HQL. It strikes me as something no one would want floating around for the anonymous world to see (much like not putting your DL for all the world to see).

email is more akin to postcards. Any router or server the message passes through can divert and make a copy. I would think it's not a good idea for MSP to put HQLs on the Internet by way of email.

ymmv

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    It strikes me as something no one would want floating around for the anonymous world to see (much like not putting your DL for all the world to see)..........I would think it's not a good idea for MSP to put HQLs on the Internet by way of email.

ymmv

Medical records are going online as well. I for one absolutely trust all my information being properly protected. :sad20:

OMP has shown the world how to secure information...... (just hand it to China on a silver platter)

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    ...That said, the need for a physical HQL is bizarre. Shouldn't MSP's web app check for it to begin with? Like, you shouldn't be able to complete a 77r app in the first place without a valid HQL.

You're assuming that the IT development work wasn't done by a Hogan crony/relative (i.e., the Lowest Bidder) and runs on something better than a 386 with Win95...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom