• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DucksRFlyin

Jul 31, 2016
    My wake-up to this same logic took a while but yeah.. I agree. It's just part of the 'common-sense gun control strategy' that has been perpetrated for decades by those who wish to ultimately enslave us..

It's easy to get 'sort-of conservative' types on the side of a law like this because it makes them "look reasonable" and not so 'extreme' so they will feel accepted ( psychological stuff here) If they (we) really thought about the long game, and understood the Leftist's plan, prohibition for felons would be widely rejected as just another step in the gun grab. Also go figure in the same period of time, the number of ways the Govt can make you into a felon has multiplied by the thousands..literally.. If you challenge that assertion I suggest you read the book "Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent:...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I do not believe that I in any way stated that I require anyone to see it the way I do. I stated my opinion in the matter.

But since you bring it up...

If you or a loved one becomes the victim of any violent or felony crimes... How are you going to feel when the violator steps out of jail on the last day of the sentence? Is your life restored in ANY way to what it was prior to the crime? Who gives a damn about any "debt to society"? What about the debt to the victim?

The folks who spout that "paid his debt to society" BS... are usually those who are advocating for criminal rights and sympathy... And those who have not been victims.

If they cannot restore your life or the life of their victim to what it was prior to their crime... NO debt has been paid. A punishment has been meted out and nothing more. "Society" is not the victim.

If that was the way things were suppose to be... someone could borrow money from you... spend a few days in timeout somewhere and claim that you have been paid in full. Nice work if you can get it.

I had to deal with victims of real crimes for decades... I saw their faces as they walked out of court knowing that they would NEVER see true justice or recompense for their loss. Who is "society" that they should get paid when others are the real victims of crimes?
    Amen

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ...last I heard, pedophiles and rapists ain't getting life, so...

Enough of this bullsh!t talk about paying one's debt...

"debt to society" is nothing more than a euphemism.

You can be forgiven, but you can never undo a wrong.

Next up...rates of recidivism...

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Felons definitely should have their gun rights restored. If they are too dangerous to own guns they shouldn't be allowed out of jail.

People will disagree with me, until it's their ass becoming a felon when the gun bans come.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Felons definitely should have their gun rights restored. If they are too dangerous to own guns they shouldn't be allowed out of jail.

People will disagree with me, until it's their ass becoming a felon when the gun bans come.

...so let me get this straight. You become a felon because you refuse to turn your guns over the the federal confiscators. Will there be legal guns waiting for you when you get out of prison?

Huh???

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I am in the guns for felons (and everyone else, for that matter) camp.

If you're free to walk the streets, you're free to own a gun.

If you're a danger, you should be in prison.

And as Art3 noted, felons with guns is quite common in Baltimore.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Unfortunately e... We do not have enough prisons for that. Nor do we have the $$$ to pay for keeping them for the rest of their natural days here on the earth.

So... since we can't lock them away permanently... the alternative is to restrict them in public. At least that minimizes the potential risks for the honest folks.

Now... if someone can find a solution to keep them all in a holding area where they are only able to contact each other... AND WE are not paying the tab... I am all for it.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Unfortunately e... We do not have enough prisons for that. Nor do we have the $$$ to pay for keeping them for the rest of their natural days here on the earth.

So... since we can't lock them away permanently... the alternative is to restrict them in public. At least that minimizes the potential risks for the honest folks.

Now... if someone can find a solution to keep them all in a holding area where they are only able to contact each other... AND WE are not paying the tab... I am all for it.

I’m okay with the death penalty for pedophiles, etc. that would help make some space, lower rates of recidivism, etc.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

And there's the rub. I agree with what you say, on it's face, but felons are running around, who cannot posses guns, but somehow still do.

I'm all for vastly increasing the death penalty.

Oh yeah, this is Maryland. :sad20:

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I am all for do the crime do the time , but for rapist , murderers and pedophiles i say the death penalty or at least life in prison without parole . But other crimes should have a expiration date on the crime , you should be able to walk back into society and work .
    Now if you are back on the street playing both sides i say lock you up and throw away the key .
    I believe in serious jail time and other punishments for repeat offenders .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I haven't expressed this for a while , so :

Yes , Convicted Felon has a significant overlap with Recidivist Dirtbag .

But Recidivist Dirtbags tend to re offend very quickly . We've seen it at HPRB, and in my own life of people who say get an assault charge from a neighborhood fight at 18 , and then go 40 or 50yrs as productive citizens . I won't swear by the exact number , but I have seen numbers that after 7 years of clean record , someone is no more likely to offend than the general population with no record .

To throw in additional margin of error , I'd say if someone goes 10yrs after their total time of punishment ( including any follow on parole ) without any non- traffic offenses , to have either automatic restoration , or presumptive restoration with simple process .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I haven't expressed this for a while , so :

Yes , Convicted Felon has a significant overlap with Recidivist Dirtbag .

But Recidivist Dirtbags tend to re offend very quickly . We've seen it at HPRB, and in my own life of people who say get an assault charge from a neighborhood fight at 18 , and then go 40 or 50yrs as productive citizens . I won't swear by the exact number , but I have seen numbers that after 7 years of clean record , someone is no more likely to offend than the general population with no record .

To throw in additional margin of error , I'd say if someone goes 10yrs after their total time of punishment ( including any follow on parole ) without any non- traffic offenses , to have either automatic restoration , or presumptive restoration with simple process .

Seems reasonable.

As for recidivism, it’s partly because US prison system and post release judicial system and society don’t do much to actually reform criminals and attempt to address why they committed a crime.

Sure, some people are just scum and can’t be fixed, but plenty of people can be and we don’t bother trying very hard at all.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

i don't believe that money should affect who we put and keep in jail. money can be found and/or re-allocated. and i also don't believe that we need to house and feed inmates at a high or even medium level of comfort. if we need to fit in more felons, they can sleep on the friggin floor or in tents in the courtyard. they should have it no better than our unfortunate homeless populations.

what i don't want is felons walking the streets because we don't want them to be uncomfortable in jail, and then guns being banned because we don't want our released felons to have access to guns and hurt us again.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County

^+1

If you've paid your debt to society (whatever that may have been), and they've set you out to walk among us once more, you should be able to defend yourself as you see fit. Unfortunately, that is not how it works today. But, that's the way I would like to see it be once again.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    ^+1

If you've paid your debt to society (whatever that may have been), and they've set you out to walk among us once more, you should be able to defend yourself as you see fit. Unfortunately, that is not how it works today. But, that's the way I would like to see it be once again.

The solution is to make all but the most heinous crimes misdemeanors. "Felony" was supposed to be reserved for crimes that warrant permanent removal of rights.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    The solution is to make all but the most heinous crimes misdemeanors. "Felony" was supposed to be reserved for crimes that warrant permanent removal of rights.

To be more clear about the way I see it, if you are free to walk among us, you should have the same rights as the rest of us. The only way a permanent removal of rights jives with me would be as a result of life incarceration or death penalty.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    To be more clear about the way I see it, if you are free to walk among us, you should have the same rights as the rest of us. The only way a permanent removal of rights jives with me would be as a result of life incarceration or death penalty.

I (and I think a lot of people) wholeheartedly agree with this in theory. Putting it into practice would require an overhaul of our world the likes of which hasn't been seen since it started raining at Noah's house. (but , who knows, it might start sooner than we think in Virginia :innocent0)

I'll add...since we're talking hypothetical...what's the point in life incarceration? If someone is deemed too dangerous to ever be let out of the cage, just get it over with. Take whatever organs they have that can benefit someone else and burn the rest. I certainly would consider it torture to be boxed up, just waiting to die, and it would waste a whole lot of resources slowly torturing me to death. Live free or die? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom