• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    My feelings are the same as combloc's!! I carried 1 as a everyday gun for over 10 years ( P7m13). At some point in time I was talked into selling it ( biggest mistake of my life!!) later bought a kind of a odd 1 with no importation markings what so ever. I have no intentions of ever selling that 1. I have let several people shoot it, and most absolutely love the gun. I can tell you its accuracy is amazing!!!! and once you get use to the squeeze grip, you will love it even more. it is no doubt the finest pistol I have ever owned !!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in the day I had the opportunity to pick one up for a good price , but alas couldn't swing the $ at the time .

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I used to own a P7M8. It's a great piece of engineering and construction...and maybe the most accurate 9mm pistol I ever fired. It's also a solution to a non-existent problem. It's heavier than necessary as its all steel...an aluminum frame would have addressed that. It takes some getting used to how it works. For a novice who had never shot a gun before would probably have little trouble but there's much to unlearn if you're a seasoned shooter.

A P7 also requires a proper holster...no sticking it your waistband which can depress the grip lever. Years ago I read about a couple of NJ State Troopers who shot themselves unintentionally doing just that.

I ended up selling mine...not because I didn't like it but because I was offered stupid money for it...and I assume the guy who bought it is enjoying the heck out of it because he just had to have it.
    Agree with this. I paid stupid money for a mint P7M8, but it’s basically just a neat toy to me. So many guns are pretty much the same, but the P7 is it’s own type of weirdness.

As far as actually shooting it, I have to admit I hate it. I’m a Bullseye shooter, so consistent grip placement and pressure is paramount, but the damn thing fights against that.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Back in the mid 80’s I only owned revolvers and set out to change that. So I went to a local rental range and shot every semi they had, Sig, Beretta, HK, and more, in 9mm, 40, and 45.

Out of all them there was one that was just heads above all the others for me, as far as being the most comfortable and the most accurate. Even shooting it fast, the groups were nice and tight. The P7 was just that much better than the rest for me. Unfortunately the $1250 price tags was more than I was looking to spend.

The Sig P229 .40 was the next one down the line for me, and only $700, so I “settled” on that, and been very happy with it. But damn, shooting the P7 just felt right. One of these days....

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    What they told her was, those carried P7 had ONLY training and fired the P7. They did not convert people from conventional handguns to the P7, at least at that time.

The P7 was one of the three handguns available for german police in the 80s. They found that converting officers to P7s from other models brought an increased risk of accidental discharges. It was very popular with the units that had a lot of opportunity to practice on the range (SEK/MEK, the equivalent of SWAT).

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    I think I paid $800 for mine.
    i-ZHwc3rx-XL.jpg

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I remember the US Park Police getting their P7's around 1990. That was their first semi-auto transitioning from revolvers. Nice pistol, but HK wasn't offering much in the way of maintenance support in their contract. We were still evaluating pistols at the time for our transition and the Browning Hi-Power seemed like it was going to get the nod before several of the test guns suffered hairline cracks along the frame rails. Many of our evaluators turned to Glock pistols after the Hi-Powers dropped out, but management couldn't get past the trigger pull to disassemble. SIG eventually won the bid with the P229 chambered in .357 SIG, but we were issued P226 in 9mm because SIG couldn't produce enough to equip everyone. It took almost two years for everyone to get a P229. There were a few people who chose to carry an FN Five-seven for a few years when they were transiting from the MP5 to the P90, for ammunition compatibility. I don't know if any P90s are still in use as it seems like they were all replaced with the M4. Oddly enough, 30 years later, the Glock 19 will be replacing the P229, and 9mm will finally finish off the .357 SIG. Seems like the money finally won the argument, and for the number of actual shootings, I can't argue with the change.

I shot a P7 for qualification once in Glynco. It was an easy shooter, but I don't think it was so much better that it justified the expense compared to the many other less expensive, just as effective pistols. I seem to recall that in 1990, HK took pride in advertising that the P7 was the world's most expensive handgun. So if you are into that champagne and caviar mindset, I could see the P7 being something you might want to add to your collection.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I love the P7. Continental had one for a few grand about a year back.

I loved the design so much that I bought the next best thing in my eyes, the Walther CCP. Same delayed blow back design. Thing was an absolute POS. Could not get it to feed reliably with any ammo..spent more on ammo then the gun cost new trying to dial it in. Sold it and never looked back.

Ripster

Dec 16, 2014
    Westminster
    I was going to buy one at the Rod & Gun Club while stationed in Heidelberg in the late 80's/early 90's. Embarrassingly I purchased a Desert Eagle instead. I definitely regret that decision.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Old school Mercedes steel kind of thing. The other thing is that to carry, it's a full size pistol and very compact compared to any thing at the time. It was the most accurate service pistol semi, I've used (haven't shot a P210...). Mine would shoot 1"ish out to 75yds.

sundaeman

MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    I had one, it’s the wife’s favorite now. :)

Generally on the lookout for one reasonably priced.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Kick myself for not buying one of the police trade ins when they were $600. Small window of time when they were available. Very accurate little pistols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom