• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So I am going to try to change my BL-22 sights. I want to add Skinner peep sights. Problem is, the front sight will need to be taller (0.600" sight) to accommodate. Ordered the front and rear sights from Skinner as well as a blank cover for the old rear sight I will remove.

If anyone has done this and they have any advice, please let me know.

Presumptuous

Awesome Member
    Aug 17, 2016
    Suburbia
    I don't know the BL-22's sights, but I do want to chime in to say that I put a Skinner sight on my CZ 455 and they are fantastic.

Looking at pictures, if that's just a groove, I just grabbed a sight pusher from Midway to put the tech sights front on my wife's 10/22, with zero drama.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I don't know the BL-22's sights, but I do want to chime in to say that I put a Skinner sight on my CZ 455 and they are fantastic.

Looking at pictures, if that's just a groove, I just grabbed a sight pusher from Midway to put the tech sights front on my wife's 10/22, with zero drama.

I do have a sight pusher I used once for my Glock. Interestingly enough I did not see any forum posts of anyone trying to use one on a BL-22. All of them were using a punch.

Makes sense though; I try the sight pusher on the rifle. I think it will fit.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Sight pusher is too small; I'll need a brass punch. Guess it would have been easier to buy a $75 fixed 4X scope, I already have the rimfire rings :)

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Sight pusher is too small; I'll need a brass punch. Guess it would have been easier to buy a $75 fixed 4X scope, I already have the rimfire rings :)

Going with skinner sights will keep it looking nice

I have a BL22 and SA22. Those rifles are so pretty naked, I won't scope them.
    Amazing that SA22 design is over 100 years old, and the Lever is from 1969.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So here it is. Some observations:

1. I went with a 0.6" front sight based on forum posts; might be too high we shall see. Definitely need a higher front sight though as we are going off the barrel and onto the receiver with a thick rear sight. Front sight needs to be painted.

2. Brass punches are soft. They bend if you stare at them too long. Quite frankly I can just use a steel punch and be carefull. I set the rifle on it's side on top of a cloth and wood shims under the barrel band. Plenty stable.

3. The front sight was easy to knock out and new sight went in real easy after filing to go in half way by hand.

4. I attempted to use a blank to fill the old back sight. It was such a poor fit I could not get it in. Total waste of money. I put the old rear sight back.

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpg
      IMG_0750.jpg
      24.5 KB · Views: 209
    • IMG_0759.jpg
      IMG_0759.jpg
      88.5 KB · Views: 192
    • IMG_0757.jpg
      IMG_0757.jpg
      72 KB · Views: 192

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics