• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Hey all, sorry I'm late to revisit this thread. Thanks for all the input, I've been looking at AGC. And to Bikebreath's comment, I fully expect to suck initially if I give this a go, though I had some top notch training (purely self-defense oriented where precision is secondary to the goal of landing shots efficiently without thinking) and I've been doing diligent dry-fire practice with every shot from holster draw at home (picked up the ITargetPro system a week ago which has been very helpful). I probably will go check out a match as a spectator soon. This is maybe a subject for another thread but I plan to continue the defensive training and may not want to keep driving 700 miles to do it. Any good instructors around here? My guy thinks highly of Scott Jedlinksi who occasionally does classes in VA, but I don't see anything relevant in this region in the near future.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Who was your 16 hour training with?

My cousin has a program in TN called Axiom Defense Solutions, had close to private instruction from Chris Norville who is not a big name as this is a very new operation, but these guys have studied with a lot of big names like Scott Jedlinksi and Clint Smith. I'm pretty green with pistol shooting so I couldn't really attest to how they compare to the big guys, but I know people out there who swear by these guys and I can say I improved SIGNIFICANTLY from two days of training. I still have a lot of work and dry-fire practice ahead of me but my next range trip after returning to MD was night and day from where I was before.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    btw if you don't mind going to middle Tennessee to do it or might find yourself passing through (It's in a truly beautiful and off the beaten path place on hundreds of acres of land) and you're into practical defensive training I would definitely recommend Axiom. I have some conflict of interest as my cousin is one of the partners and owns the land, but what you get for the price is awesome. I plan to go back for Handgun 2 in the near future.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    What type of matches are you interested in and are set up for shooting? Good advice given above on getting a practiscore account. I follow MGPA, PNTC, York IWLA and New Holland.

The idea of competitive pistol shooting is so new to me that i hardly know where to look. But as I said I like the more athletic outdoors stuff as long as the skills are still somewhat transferable to defensive training. I have all the gear - the training I've done worked on holster draw as an integral part of the whole thing, so I have a decent Bravo kydex owb, plenty of mags, a decent belt, and a couple mag holsters.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The idea of competitive pistol shooting is so new to me that i hardly know where to look. But as I said I like the more athletic outdoors stuff as long as the skills are still somewhat transferable to defensive training. I have all the gear - the training I've done worked on holster draw as an integral part of the whole thing, so I have a decent Bravo kydex owb, plenty of mags, a decent belt, and a couple mag holsters.

You've got the gear, just dive in. Go get on Practiscore so that you will be ready on Saturday when registration opens for the August Steel Challenge match at AGC.

We are definitely noob friendly and I can arrange to have you on my squad to show you the ropes.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    You've got the gear, just dive in. Go get on Practiscore so that you will be ready on Saturday when registration opens for the August Steel Challenge match at AGC.

We are definitely noob friendly and I can arrange to have you on my squad to show you the ropes.

Great, thanks - may send you a dm soon...

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Hey all, sorry I'm late to revisit this thread. Thanks for all the input, I've been looking at AGC. And to Bikebreath's comment, I fully expect to suck initially if I give this a go, though I had some top notch training (purely self-defense oriented where precision is secondary to the goal of landing shots efficiently without thinking) and I've been doing diligent dry-fire practice with every shot from holster draw at home (picked up the ITargetPro system a week ago which has been very helpful). I probably will go check out a match as a spectator soon. This is maybe a subject for another thread but I plan to continue the defensive training and may not want to keep driving 700 miles to do it. Any good instructors around here? My guy thinks highly of Scott Jedlinksi who occasionally does classes in VA, but I don't see anything relevant in this region in the near future.

Dude, you do not have to travel 700 miles. FPF Training in Culpeper, VA is top-notch, as is Green Ops. Justified Defensive Concepts is also in that area. And plenty of the top traveling instructors come regularly to VA and PA.

Plenty of competitive shooting is directly transferable to self defense.....except the parts that aren't! I'm shooting IDPA at AGC on Saturday morning. PM me, come on out and check it out.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

This!

Nobody expects you to come out of the gate and win. You don't. IMHO, you want to pay attention to safety and learning the commands from the Safety Officer/SO for the first match. I was so worried about being safe it took me several matches to even think of advancing.

Last edited:

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    This is all super helpful, I’ll probably send some PMs soon. Hogarth, I would check it out but I’m tied up this weekend. After that my schedule’s open so would be cool to spectate at the next one.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    This is all super helpful, I’ll probably send some PMs soon. Hogarth, I would check it out but I’m tied up this weekend. After that my schedule’s open so would be cool to spectate at the next one.

I'm registered for the match at AAFG on the 25th if that works.

Also, my blog has reviews of all the classes I've taken, most of which have been in VA and PA, with a smattering of some in OH, TX, etc. You'll see there's plenty to take inside of 700 miles.

https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress.com

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    This!

Nobody expects you to come out of the gate and win. You don't. IMHO, you want to pay attention to safety and learning the commands from the Safety Officer/SO for the first match. I was so worried about being safe it took me several matches to event think of advancing.

Funny for my very first match it was a High Power match at AGC. I showed up with my rifle and a moving pad as my shooting mat. I could see everyone else getting their shooting coats and gear all setup and I was totally intimidated at first and thought about bailing. I just had a tee shirt and shorts and looked totally out of place.

I spoke with the match director and said I was new at this and I would greatly appreciate if he guided me if he felt I was doing anything out of line. He said he was glad to see a new shooter with some interest and made me feel pretty comfortable. Everyone was great and helpful. Some of the people I met that day are active members here.

I remember saying my goal was to come in first place! My backup goal was to NOT come in last. I achieved my backup goal and actually scored in the lower middle/upper bottom of the pack. I think I was around 270/400. My back and elbows were sore from laying in the prone position on my moving blanket, but other than that I went home feeling pretty good about the experience.

The steel challenges were admittedly more intimidating but again the guys at AGC running these events have been really really helpful and inviting.

Stoveman thanks for being supportive when I felt like I couldn’t even hit a 12” target from 7yds. My first match I didn’t come in last but that’s only because one of the competitors was actually walking with an cane and may have been using a revolver.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    Any details on observation and safety briefing?

It's mostly a classroom safety briefing and going over some rules of the game and the range. You won't be shooting, but will get a chance to demonstrate drawing from a holster and see the match. Once you register for the class, you'll get more instructions on what to bring, where to go, etc.

It's pretty laid back and everyone is pretty cool there. Feel free to send me an IM after you register and have any questions.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Big difference between defensive/tactical shooting and competition shooting. One is designed to teach real life skills and the latter is admittedly a game. However a game can teach you skills that can be more useful in some real life scenarios than pure tactical training. But like anything its what YOU make of it that counts.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    It's mostly a classroom safety briefing and going over some rules of the game and the range. You won't be shooting, but will get a chance to demonstrate drawing from a holster and see the match. Once you register for the class, you'll get more instructions on what to bring, where to go, etc.

It's pretty laid back and everyone is pretty cool there. Feel free to send me an IM after you register and have any questions.

All I have is a IWB holster, would that work with a long t-shirt as a cover garment? And are the mag holders necessary because I am waiting on buying equipment until I get more details on what is good. I figure a mask is required are there any Covid-19 precautions taking place?

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    All I have is a IWB holster, would that work with a long t-shirt as a cover garment? And are the mag holders necessary because I am waiting on buying equipment until I get more details on what is good. I figure a mask is required are there any Covid-19 precautions taking place?

Since you're asking about the AAFG observation class, which is geared towards IDPA, let's be IDPA-specific. Yes, you can use use an IWB holster with a T-shirt as concealment. You can also keep the spare mags in a pocket. If you get the bug, you'll likely want a OWB holster and mag pouches. There are restrictions on the types of holsters, placement of that and the the mag pouches, but most of what you see outside of those fancy race rigs will likely be fine. If you show up the class with what you have, you'll be ok. The instructor will cover equipment, so you'll get more details. If not, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom