Griffin Armament Revolution 9 - thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    Are cans sold by shops listed by the Silencer Shop as affiliates sell theirs for lower prices? Is there any other advantage to buying from a Silencer Shop affiliate vs a regular FFL? Thanks!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Are cans sold by shops listed by the Silencer Shop as affiliates sell theirs for lower prices?
    I am not sure what you're asking here. The shops basically set their margins. It is possible that certain shops will have lower margins than others, and thus will be cheaper. I think affiliate status simply means they're in the SilencerShop ecosphere.

Is there any other advantage to buying from a Silencer Shop affiliate vs a regular FFL? Thanks!
    Not paying sales tax used to be a thing. Not sure if it still is.

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I am not sure what you're asking here. The shops basically set their margins. It is possible that certain shops will have lower margins than others, and thus will be cheaper. I think affiliate status simply means they're in the SilencerShop ecosphere.

Not paying sales tax used to be a thing. Not sure if it still is.

I'm just reacting to the impression I got that somehow there was a benefit to using a Silencer Shop affiliate. Not sure what the big deal is if there is no savings, or other benefit I can see, aside from a directory of class III FFLs. If I'm missing something, please let me know. Thanks!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think just being an affiliate means you're in their network of transferring dealers. Any other dealer would charge you an NFA transfer fee, which tends to be substantial.

In case you were wondering what the bronze/silver/gold/etc levels were about, I believe it's just how many items they transfer per year:
    https://www.silencershop.com/dealer-rewards

shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I think just being an affiliate means you're in their network of transferring dealers. Any other dealer would charge you an NFA transfer fee, which tends to be substantial.

In case you were wondering what the bronze/silver/gold/etc levels were about, I believe it's just how many items they transfer per year:

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification!

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Is it going to be used on on a pistol as well, or dedicated 9mm PCC? Among the griffin lineup, the optimus and bushwhacker are getting baffle updates and are great choices if you don’t care much about actual pistol use. Here’s a video Griffin did comparing their pistol can to a couple other options:

https://youtu.be/aN6eop1gczo

Griffin makes a great can, and is more innovative than they get credit for. They just previewed a mini trilug piston QD setup for handguns that is pretty slick. Times past it was easy to suggest Dead Air Wolfman for dedicated PCC use, but Dead Air is having trouble keeping any wolfman accessories in stock, so I hope you are fine with direct thread only (no keymicro or trilug adapters).

Dead Air Wolfman is in stock. Based on comments so far, really thinking about this one.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I'm just reacting to the impression I got that somehow there was a benefit to using a Silencer Shop affiliate. Not sure what the big deal is if there is no savings, or other benefit I can see, aside from a directory of class III FFLs. If I'm missing something, please let me know. Thanks!

SS has stock and you can sell that stock through your personal SS store. Basically the customer selects their preferred dealer. Powered by SS allows them to do all the paperwork. You can upload your own inventory as well if you like.

Just like anything else, most things are subject to MAP. SS has those numbers so no one can go lower.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Is it going to be used on on a pistol as well, or dedicated 9mm PCC? Among the griffin lineup, the optimus and bushwhacker are getting baffle updates and are great choices if you don’t care much about actual pistol use. Here’s a video Griffin did comparing their pistol can to a couple other options:

https://youtu.be/aN6eop1gczo

Griffin makes a great can, and is more innovative than they get credit for. They just previewed a mini trilug piston QD setup for handguns that is pretty slick. Times past it was easy to suggest Dead Air Wolfman for dedicated PCC use, but Dead Air is having trouble keeping any wolfman accessories in stock, so I hope you are fine with direct thread only (no keymicro or trilug adapters).

Have a optimus coming soon, hopefully this week. Its the updated, or gen 2.

I was actually planning to go with a rev9 but decided the optimus may be a better option. Really excited to see what these updates are. Though I havent played with the gen1 so I really wouldnt know anyway lol.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Dead Air Wolfman is in stock. Based on comments so far, really thinking about this one.
    I have one pending. They are great cans as long as you either plan to use them direct thread only, or accept that the accessories (trilug adapters, keymicro adapters, etc) are perpetually out of stock and typically sell out in 10 minutes when they are available. I’m good with direct thread, so that issue does not affect me. A lot of people are not good with it because they either want trilug or they want the keymicro adapter so they can use it for centerfire rifle chambering a.

Just be aware of the issue with getting ahold of accessories before you buy. Dead Air is a good company and has ramped up capacity with their OEMs, so hopefully it won’t be as big an issue in 4-6 months.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I have one pending. They are great cans as long as you either plan to use them direct thread only, or accept that the accessories (trilug adapters, keymicro adapters, etc) are perpetually out of stock and typically sell out in 10 minutes when they are available. I’m good with direct thread so, that issue does not affect me. Just be aware of the issue with getting ahold of accessories before you buy. Dead Air is a good company and has ramped up capacity with their OEMs, so hopefully it won’t be as big an issue in 4-6 months.

Same mount as the griffin universal trilug right? They were in stock this past week when I ordered.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Sending my Optimus baffles in for the upgrade. I was pretty happy with the performance all ready but figured why not.

Their QD pistons are up for sale for their and other manufacturers pistol silencers. https://www.griffinarmament.com/universal-qd-pistons-for-tilt-barrel-pistols/
    I feel like they could have gone one step further and offered the QD piston barrel adapters with the brake that they have on their Micro Carry Comps would have been cool. https://www.griffinarmament.com/micro-carry-comp-1-2x28/

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Sending my Optimus baffles in for the upgrade. I was pretty happy with the performance all ready but figured why not.

Their QD pistons are up for sale for their and other manufacturers pistol silencers. https://www.griffinarmament.com/universal-qd-pistons-for-tilt-barrel-pistols/
    I feel like they could have gone one step further and offered the QD piston barrel adapters with the brake that they have on their Micro Carry Comps would have been cool. https://www.griffinarmament.com/micro-carry-comp-1-2x28/

Whats the major difference in the baffles?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Same mount as the griffin universal trilug right? They were in stock this past week when I ordered.
    I am not aware of cross compatibility between Dead Air and Griffin/Rugged/Silencerco pistol cans. Just to be clear, I’m talking about the part you thread into the Wolfman and interfaces with a trilug mount, not the actual trilug that is threaded onto or part of a barrel.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I am not aware of cross compatibility between Dead Air and Griffin/Rugged/Silencerco pistol cans. Just to be clear, I’m talking about the part you thread into the Wolfman and interfaces with a trilug mount, not the actual trilug that is threaded onto or part of a barrel.

Gotcha okay. Connection to the can itself is probably different but I believe once you have the part on the barrel you can run all the above.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Per Griffin Armory 5-6 dB reduction at ear and 2-3 at muzzle.

Nice! Hows it been for you so far? What firearms do you run it on?

Kept going back and forth on which can to get, was going to do the rev9 bc i wanted a pistol can but the versatility of the optimus seemed to make more sense. Plus it was in stock, at least last week it was. Hopefully Ill be playing with it this week.

We got the attachments to run it on the wifes ar9, my slr107, 226(lh thread), glock, and a2 adapter.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    My Griffin Optimus is the gen 1, so I will let you know after I get the baffle stack upgraded.

Offhand I’ve run my optimus on a 16” AR, 18” 2gun AR, a 16” .308 AR, my friend’s Vz58, a friend’s home built AK47, a g34, a g17, a .308 bolt gun, a Keltec Sub2000, and some other random firearms that I’m sure I am forgetting.

I tend to throw it in my range bag when I know I’m going to the range with friends who might want to use it. Or if I’m trying to decide what length suppressor will work well with a build. Or if I’m shooting pistols that day. It is a great beater can to throw on whatever. I don’t really bother cleaning it. Will usually just run a magazine of 5.56 or .308 through it after it’s been used for pistols and that seems to clear out the baffles well enough.

Overall it is nice to know that I can suppress about any type of firearm with it and it will sound decent and not be too unreasonably heavy. A lot of people like to hate on universal suppressors, but I’m happy with the Optimus. Sure it didn’t stop me from buying 12 or 13 other cans to dedicate to other firearms, but it still makes it out to the range almost every trip.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    My Griffin Optimus is the gen 1, so I will let you know after I get the baffle stack upgraded.

Offhand I’ve run my optimus on a 16” AR, 18” 2gun AR, a 16” .308 AR, my friend’s Vz58, a friend’s home built AK47, a g34, a g17, a .308 bolt gun, a Keltec Sub2000, and some other random firearms that I’m sure I am forgetting.

I tend to throw it in my range bag when I know I’m going to the range with friends who might want to use it. Or if I’m trying to decide what length suppressor will work well with a build. Or if I’m shooting pistols that day. It is a great beater can to throw on whatever. I don’t really bother cleaning it. Will usually just run a magazine of 5.56 or .308 through it after it’s been used for pistols and that seems to clear out the baffles well enough.

Overall it is nice to know that I can suppress about any type of firearm with it and it will sound decent and not be too unreasonably heavy. A lot of people like to hate on universal suppressors, but I’m happy with the Optimus. Sure it didn’t stop me from buying 12 or 13 other cans to dedicate to other firearms, but it still makes it out to the range almost every trip.

Its definitely going to get beat up lol. Thats good to hear. How does it compare in volume to the dedicated cans?

I was really hoping to be playing with it today but it hasnt shipped from Griffin yet. Maybe next week Ill have to play with.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I don’t have a decibel meter, and that is really the only way you’re going to get your questions answered. I expect Griffin will post metering video of the Optimus with the gen 2 baffle stack on their youtube channel soon, so hopefully that will get your questions answered.

It is low back pressure due to the large bore. I haven’t really done any side by side comparisons with it since it just sort of goes on whatever, and that makes side by side comparisons difficult. I expect it would meter somewhat louder than a can of the same length that’s designed specifically for .308 or 5.56 or whatever. Or is heavier or longer for the same sound reduction. Either of those is the typical trade off with a universal can, though I expect it isn’t so far off from 5.56 through a .308 can. I think any large gaps will close a bit with the new Griffin baffle stack, but the 3-6 ounce weight penalty will still be there.

Overall I’m very pleased with it due to its flexibility and all the accessories that come with it. I didn’t get the GI program discount on it, but I got $200 in Trump bucks with it and rounded out the accessories with a trilug adapter and the medium length adapter. Seriously it’s a great can, I think you’ll love it.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I don’t have a decibel meter, and that is really the only way you’re going to get your questions answered. I expect Griffin will post metering video of the Optimus with the gen 2 baffle stack on their youtube channel soon, so hopefully that will get your questions answered.

It is low back pressure due to the large bore. I haven’t really done any side by side comparisons with it since it just sort of goes on whatever, and that makes side by side comparisons difficult. I expect it would meter somewhat louder than a can of the same length that’s designed specifically for .308 or 5.56 or whatever. Or is heavier or longer for the same sound reduction. Either of those is the typical trade off with a universal can, though I expect it isn’t so far off from 5.56 through a .308 can. I think any large gaps will close a bit with the new Griffin baffle stack, but the 3-6 ounce weight penalty will still be there.

Overall I’m very pleased with it due to its flexibility and all the accessories that come with it. I didn’t get the GI program discount on it, but I got $200 in Trump bucks with it and rounded out the accessories with a trilug adapter and the medium length adapter. Seriously it’s a great can, I think you’ll love it.

If it takes a decibel meter to really know the difference that says enough for me. Honestly I was kind of expecting it to be noticeably louder than a dedicated can, and for the trade off that would be understandable.

I am really excited and I hope it gets here soon. This OSS has got to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom