Why would anyone need more than one gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    So, again, what is an assualt rifle (besides an M16)?

The MAC 10/11 is a submachine gun...a small one but a submachine gun as it fires pistol caliber ammunition.

Other examples of true assault rifles besides the M16 are a genuine AK47, AKM, AK74, French FAMAS, British SA-80, German HK33, Israeli Tavor-21 and there's others.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If it MUST BE SELECT FIRE than no semi auto qualifies (they aren't select fire)
    If it MUST FIRE FROM LOCKED BREACH than a full auto MAC-10 doesn't qualify either (it fires from open bolt).

So, again, what is an assualt rifle (besides an M16)?

*****Decent examples would be the FN-Scar-H, Steyr AUG A3, Ak-12, Hk-416, and many others. That's just off the top of my head.

Oh, also the Bushmaster ACR3.

I think all of the above meet the criteria. Some are nicer than others. The FN, and HK being my favorites. Well made, adaptable, etc...

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    The MAC 10/11 is a submachine gun...a small one but a submachine gun as it fires pistol caliber ammunition.

Other examples of true assault rifles besides the M16 are a genuine AK47, AKM, AK74, French FAMAS, British SA-80, German HK33, Israeli Tavor-21 and there's others.

Lage makes a 5.56 upper for the Mac11. But it fires from open bolt. So I guess it's not an assault rifle.

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    Lane, I have different firearms for different purposes. I have four rifles used in hunting big game, medium game, small game. I have home defense firearms, pistol and shotgun. I have firearms that I collect for their art work, fit and finish. I also have teaching firearms, that I use for friends and family. I don't think there is a number put on guns, just like art, baskets, fine porcelain, or coins. We have the right to own as many as we wish and many of my friends and family have multiple firearms for various reasons. Firearms are like fine wines, and whiskey's each is chosen by the individuals taste.

glueru

Lead em to bleed em
    Aug 18, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Why would anyone need more than one gun?

Because I have a problem.

It's like a Lay's potato Chip, you can't have just one. And no one gun does it all so a practical reason applies as well, and for the real reason, I just like them!
    Imagine going through life and only getting one piece of ass, yea, same reason.
    Guns and women, I'm like Jesus, I love them all.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It is indeed possible to to have too many guns and too much ammunition ........ On and about your person ....... While swimming .

On a related side note ; more than two full sized steel frame pistols on and about your belt and in your pants pockets , plus spare ammo for each. ........ Can make your trousers tend to fall down .

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    It is indeed possible to to have too many guns and too much ammunition ........ On and about your person ....... While swimming .

On a related side note ; more than two full sized steel frame pistols on and about your belt and in your pants pockets , plus spare ammo for each. ........ Can make your trousers tend to fall down .

Belt and suspenders.:D

Dec 29, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Love this thread. Agree with most points and realize my thinking/stockpiling has been for good reason.

I started with a basic pistol for HD, but mostly for range play. Eventually got a plinker just for some variety and the ammo was much cheaper. Then decided I needed a shotgun to round out the group.

Next was getting into the building game... Started with a Poly80, eventually moved to the AR because the 22 seemed like a toy. Now just diversifying the pistol selection, but putting additional purchases on hold while prices remain high.

I enjoy having options, and rotate what I take to the range so I can stay proficient with each. Having guns is only useful if you're ready and able to use them properly, but now I'm glad I had bought ammo in bulk before the craziness hit. Wife thought I was spending too much on ammo, now I could double my money if I got in a pinch.

People mentioned not having one of each... I haven't even scratched the surface of having one from each manufacturer. Each one is different and has it's purpose though.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My 2 cents, I guess because of how I am, you can have too much. Too much is when you find you haven't shot some gun for a few years. But that's me. I bought my guns to shoot them, not to collect them. Some of them haven't been shot in a long time. That's as much the pandemic as anything. Not doing shotgun sports right now. Personal choice, I've got little enough time to hit the range even once a month. So my shotguns have been sitting for like 9 or 10 months. A few other guns just haven't been used in a long time. I am hoping to change that sooner rather than later as I've been getting back to the range more often. But I'll be honest, my collection is getting to the point where further acquisitions would be speculative. "Oh, well I'd buy that because some day maybe I'd have the time to shoot it". I am sure I'd get it to the range not long after buying it, but it would probably collect dust for a long time after that.

My two next guns are a 1903A3 and a lever gun in something. Probably .357 magnum.

A couple of other handguns I'd like to get, like a 1911 and a .357 revolver. Beyond those, dunno. Lots of wants, but not really any other guns I feel like I NEED.

I don't live somewhere that I can shoot on my property. Closest range is like 20 minutes away. A typical range trip for me is a couple of long guns, sometimes 3, and a couple of handguns. That means about a 6 month rotation on my guns to shoot them all if I take something different on each trip.

Kids age up and move out, I'd like to think I could get to the range a couple of times a month. Also looking to buy a property in a couple of years that I can shoot on (and hunt, fish and hike around). Even if I don't live there, its less of a lift to load up a bunch of guns and drive out to MY property to shoot all day. or ideally if I've got a cabin or small house there, go for the weekend and haul a bunch of guns.

And I am weak though. I am sure I'll stumble across some "wow I can't pass that up" deal and buy some other gun that I don't NEED, but want. Because, look at the price!

jmb122mp

Nov 2, 2016
    Deputy Clyde, who had one arm, from the movie Unforgiven said it best when another deputy said "Jesus, Clyde, you have three pistols and you only have one arm for Christ's sake!".

"Well I just don't want to be killed for lack of shootin' back."

kool361

Apr 16, 2020
    Damascus
    Gun nut

Because I am a gun nut:party29: I like trying to find C&R guns because old guns are kool. I also like modern firearms as well and building my first AR of late. The only other thing is home defense. I have built hiding spots in the home to quickly access defensive measures as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom