• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 25, 2020
    New Windsor, MD
    I shot my new AR pistol build for the first time today. Everything worked great except the trigger pin kept drifting out every dozen or so shots. This build was from a stripped lower with a parts kit. The trigger pin had 2 grooves. I’ve seen videos of pins with 3 grooves. Do I have my pins in backwards? Thanks.

dmable44

Jul 4, 2018
    The grooves should correspond with the main trigger spring legs which help keep the pin in place. Are the spring legs sitting in the grooves? There’s a possibility your lower is out of spec too. Is it an 80%?

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    This might be a dumb idea, but without seeing the pins. I have seen grooves not symmetrical on the pins before. When it starts coming out, hold everything in place with the trigger group and turn the pin around then reinsert.
    Crazy idea i know but worth a shot. You might be able to find some anti-walk pins somewhere local as well.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    The hammer spring legs should sit on top of the trigger pin and ride in the groove of the pin. It prevents the pin from working its way out. Check that the hammer spring is installed correctly

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Assuming it's the top pin(hammer pin), It should have three grooves or at least two with one being in the middle. If the hammer pin is missing the middle grove, you either have the pins reversed or the wrong pin. You need that center groove to catch the "J" pin that runs through the hammer and retains the hammer pin.

In the illustration, the hammer on the left is missing the J pin. The one on the right has a J pin properly inserted.

Attachments

• jpin.jpg
      jpin.jpg
      16.1 KB · Views: 310

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If your hammer is missing a the Jpin, it might be easier just to get another hammer. I for one have never seen Jpins sold separately. Course now that I said that, someone will post a link. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom