• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    My friend bought 2 10" aluminum solvent traps to make into suppressors. After a little more research, he doesn't want to drop the money on stamps to drill them.

Is there any reason he can't sell them as solvent traps to recoup his money? He hasn't drilled them, hasn't mounted them on a gun to see how it looks, nothing. I told him that he should be fine selling, he wants to make sure he won't get a visit from the ATF.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Beancounter

Jul 8, 2012
    My friend bought 2 10" aluminum solvent traps to make into suppressors. After a little more research, he doesn't want to drop the money on stamps to drill them.

Is there any reason he can't sell them as solvent traps to recoup his money? He hasn't drilled them, hasn't mounted them on a gun to see how it looks, nothing. I told him that he should be fine selling, he wants to make sure he won't get a visit from the ATF.

Isn't an "undrilled solvent trap' and oil filter???

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    IIRC the threaded adapter between a barrel and the tube is the part that would be considered a suppressor requiring a stamp and serial number IF it were screwed onto the barrel. Until that time, it's just a threaded pipe adapter. Perfectly legal to buy, sell and own as long as it isn't attached to a firearm.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    As long as nothing is drilled, they are simply parts. Threaded end cap, tube, stamped(but not drilled) baffles, end cap(not drilled). All just parts.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Unless he’s got a lot of money in them, why not just toss them.

I think the whole solvent trap thing is a problem awaiting an unknown answer.

If they’re $20 each, why invite risk to recoup $40? I’d just dump them if he’s worried.

As above, it’s technically legal to own or sell them imo as well. But again, who thinks that .gov might not find their way around to folks who bought them...especially more than one. The old charge them (Solvent trap owners) and then guilty until proven innocent. A lousy game where your time and your money are draining away.

They probably cost more than $40 together but you get my point.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I think they are 1.5" diameter 10" long. Stainless steel baffles, but aluminum tube and caps. He's got enough money in them that it would hurt to throw away.

I figured he would be fine, he bought them as parts he should be able to sell them as parts. Thanks all!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Unless he’s got a lot of money in them, why not just toss them.

I think the whole solvent trap thing is a problem awaiting an unknown answer.

If they’re $20 each, why invite risk to recoup $40? I’d just dump them if he’s worried.

As above, it’s technically legal to own or sell them imo as well. But again, who thinks that .gov might not find their way around to folks who bought them...especially more than one. The old charge them (Solvent trap owners) and then guilty until proven innocent. A lousy game where your time and your money are draining away.

They probably cost more than $40 together but you get my point.

But if you buy them to build and register them there should never be an issue

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The guy (gal) who buys it might be the ATF Agent.

Owning a solvent trap before you get the stamp is perfectly legal, except when it isn't:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/atf-says-solvent-traps-silencers-shuts-sd-tacticals-kit-business/

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/facebook-allows-dubious-ads-for-fuel-filters/

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gear-review-39-fule-filter-form-1-silencer-build/

Constructive intent is nebulous and vague but seems like its just enough to cost a lot in legal fees, far more than the parts are worth, if the guy/gal buying the parts happens to be an ATF agent trolling Armslist or whatever.

People who who say "it should never be an issue" are ignoring the many cases where it is apparently an issue. Keep in mind in our legal system you may be right, but it could cost you thousands to hire a lawyer to vindicate yourself.

There is also the fact that there are literally tons of these products on the market and I highly doubt they are worth more than the cost of a few boxes of ammo.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I heard from someone in the JD that the ATFE was intercepting those things as they come in now and dropping the hammer on the suppliers of big shipments to people selling them in the US as they come in.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Every gun show I've been to in the last 2 years had vendors that sell solvent traps because...... they're solvent traps

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom