• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    What a hit to the wallet!

I've been using a .177 Gamo Whisper break barrel for years dealing with nuisance wildlife. It has had its share of shortcomings but inside 25m, it's been a solid performer. Some of those shortcomings, I needed to address desperately:

1. Follow-up shots: The break barrel is not friendly for follow-up shots. You are going to take your eye off target and waste a great deal of time reloading and then reacquiring your target.

2. More knock-down: The .177 works well at closer distances but anything much bigger than a tree rat, needs something with more punch with bigger targets or at longer ranges.

3. Opportunity knocks: If I had something that could reach out further, with reliability, I could deal with my problems better, and more efficiently. I'd like to be able to take down a fox at 75 yards.

4. Quiet and safe: If I had a suppressor, this would seem like opportune deployment of a small caliber rifle. My neighbors would shit bricks if I was shooting a rifle (though legally allowed to) and I really need stealth in execution. A suppressed 22 would be fine in most cases but I don't have one and I don't have time to wait for the ATF.

So I decided that a PCP would be a decent fit. I bought a Benjamin Armada in .25 kitted out with the CrossPoint 4-16x56 mm scope. It doesn't ship for another 11 days or so but I am stoked. Can't wait to get it here and zero.

I bought a hand pump (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B088SZWD65/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but have a feeling it won't be long before I either buy a high pressure compressor or get a bottle and find someone to fill it.

Definatly not a cheap corner of the hobby.

Bugthor

Oct 27, 2018
    Aberdeen Area
    You will kick yourself for not getting a PCP sooner. With a hand pump once you get to initial pressure it’s not too bad to get it back to full pressure. You are going to be really happy and impressed with PCP air guns.

2ndCharter

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    So my rifle showed up on Thursday. I got the scope and bipod mounted. I just finished pumping up from 0 to 3,000 psi. It took 150 pumps to get to 2,000 and 72 more to get to 3,000. I don't really see me doing this for long. At my age, it is going to an obstacle to shooting. It takes a serious amount of strength to get from 1,500 to 3,000 psi.

Now I'll just have to save up and get a carbon fiber tank and a high pressure compressor. I'll get the tank first but as far as I know, the closest dive shop is on Kent Island and I almost never get over there.

2ndCharter

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Got out after the drizzle today and sighted in the rifle. Then I turned my 10 year old loose. Total 16 shots decreased the available pressure from 3,000 to 2,500 psi.

Attachments

• 2020-10-13 Armada.jpg
      2020-10-13 Armada.jpg
      133.2 KB · Views: 371

Bugthor

Oct 27, 2018
    Aberdeen Area
    That's raisin a kid right! I can't remember not being without my BB gun, then pellet rifle as a kid. Now my girls shoot with me, 18 & 16.

bgoodsoil

Aug 24, 2020
    That's a well-named gun! Thing looks like a tank!

I just got my first PCP a week ago. I can't stop shooting it. I sold most of my real firearms that I hadn't shot in ages to pay for it all and couldn't be happier with the decision.

The Yong Heng compressor is doing great so far. You just have to keep your eye on the temperature when you go past 3000 psi. I'm using smaller paintball tanks for trips and haven't gone past the safe temperature filling those. I have ice packs in the freezer that I toss in the water bucket when filling them. It pumps the gun itself (280cc tank) from 1500 back to 3000 in less than a minute and doesn't even get up to operating temp in that time.

Those .25s pack a punch. I've seen youtubers take hogs with them.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    How is the Armada treating you? I am contemplating this model, or maybe the Gamo Coyote Whisper Fusion.

Every video and photo that I see, the Armada is on the included bipod. Is the rifle too heavy to shoot standing? Is it too awkward?

I love the thought of a carbine, but I much prefer the accuracy of a long barrel rifle. I’m not going to hunt, only shot paper around 50 yards.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Looks like a Tacticool M-Rod. I have a 25 M-Rod and love the gun. I can shoot half inch groups at 50 yds. Neat looking rifle, congrats.
    V

TTBJ

Apr 10, 2018
    Howard County
    That's a well-named gun! Thing looks like a tank!

I just got my first PCP a week ago. I can't stop shooting it. I sold most of my real firearms that I hadn't shot in ages to pay for it all and couldn't be happier with the decision.

The Yong Heng compressor is doing great so far. You just have to keep your eye on the temperature when you go past 3000 psi. I'm using smaller paintball tanks for trips and haven't gone past the safe temperature filling those. I have ice packs in the freezer that I toss in the water bucket when filling them. It pumps the gun itself (280cc tank) from 1500 back to 3000 in less than a minute and doesn't even get up to operating temp in that time.

Those .25s pack a punch. I've seen youtubers take hogs with them.

#46 hydraulic fluid or something else for the Yong Heng?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom