• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I'm in Charles county and would love to have the chance to build a pistol from scratch. Don't know how though.

PM inbound. I am always working on a build. I have three on my bench now. You are welcome to swing by and see what's involved.

The problem with pistol builds is that unless you buy a "pistol part kit" from some place like AK-Builder, there is quite a bit of lathe and machine work to be completed.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    PM inbound. I am always working on a build. I have three on my bench now. You are welcome to swing by and see what's involved.

The problem with pistol builds is that unless you buy a "pistol part kit" from some place like AK-Builder, there is quite a bit of lathe and machine work to be completed.

Why would you say that? 16" pistols aren't illegal. just...cumbersome. :innocent0

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Good to know! I have two receivers I bought prior to 10/13 and wanted to build one and have the other professionally done. Where would you guys recommend getting the parts kits? I was told to get a kit that has a pre head spaced barrel, is that really a big deal?

Clutch

Jan 10, 2013
    Severn
    I was hosting AK build parties but did not have one in the fall '15. Maybe once it warms up in the spring I'll host another one. I have all of the tooling and jigs to build an AK from start to finished parkerized rifle. I would be willing to help guide someone through a build but you must perform all of the work yourself since I am not a FFL gunsmith.

If I host another build party there would have to be some guidelines because I will not entertain or have any involvement with any questionable or illegal builds.

1. To build an AK rifle it must be a pre-FSA '13 receiver purchased or made before October '13, or finishing a build that you started before October '13. Do not show up and ask to fold a receiver from a flat to build a post FSA '13 AK variant rifle.

2. SBR builds with an approved Form 1 allowed. Bring the Form 1 to the build party. If you have an approved Form 1, I would allow the builder to use my jigs to fold a new receiver from a flat.

3. Pistol builds on post FSA '13 recievers allowed. I would allow pistol builds to use my jigs to fold new reciever from a flat but the receiver MUST have a riveted rear pistol trunnion installed before leaving the build party.

4. Anyone looking to modify, repair, refinish their legally owned AK variant rifle, provide help or guidance to lesser experienced builders, or just shoot the breeze, are welcome to attend.

Does this sound fair?

Certainly fair and reasonable as well as an exceptional offer:thumbsup:

regarding 2&3: With respect to formed flats, do you have heat treat capability/facilities for the formed receiver prior to trunnion installation? Or is heat treatment typically performed after trunnion installation and thus the builder could source their own method/facilities, etc?

Also, in looking at kits, receivers and hardware I have not seen any call-out for pistol specific rear trunnions. Is a pistol trunnion simply a by-product of a pistol kit or is there a specific type/make or demarcation to seek?

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Certainly fair and reasonable as well as an exceptional offer:thumbsup:

regarding 2&3: With respect to formed flats, do you have heat treat capability/facilities for the formed receiver prior to trunnion installation? Or is heat treatment typically performed after trunnion installation and thus the builder could source their own method/facilities, etc?

Also, in looking at kits, receivers and hardware I have not seen any call-out for pistol specific rear trunnions. Is a pistol trunnion simply a by-product of a pistol kit or is there a specific type/make or demarcation to seek?

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

You can heat treat the rails and the FCG pin holes in the receiver with a torch.

An AK pistol trunnion would be one that does not accept a rifle stock.

amd_pistol_trunnion_1.jpg

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Good to know! I have two receivers I bought prior to 10/13 and wanted to build one and have the other professionally done. Where would you guys recommend getting the parts kits? I was told to get a kit that has a pre head spaced barrel, is that really a big deal?

Half way down Nodak Spud's page there are a few listed. I buy most of mine from APEX but occasionally find better deals while surfing the interwebs.

A pre-head spaced kit is the easiest to build and will save you a few hours drilling barrels, rivets, head spacing, and populating the barrel but those kits will be more expensive. I have everything needed to install and head space a barrel.

http://www.nodakspud.com/AK%20Receivers.htm

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Tim, I emailed you a couple weeks back. What brand of punches to you have? IIRC, they had a round insert pressed into a hex metal handle (not machined as one pc.) Long and orange??? Anyway, I'm pissed at Starrett's recent quality and yours were pretty indestructible that day. Figured I'd get a set and give them a try.

jayjyo

Jan 1, 2013
    I was hosting AK build parties but did not have one in the fall '15. Maybe once it warms up in the spring I'll host another one. I have all of the tooling and jigs to build an AK from start to finished parkerized rifle. I would be willing to help guide someone through a build but you must perform all of the work yourself since I am not a FFL gunsmith.

If I host another build party there would have to be some guidelines because I will not entertain or have any involvement with any questionable or illegal builds.

1. To build an AK rifle it must be a pre-FSA '13 receiver purchased or made before October '13, or finishing a build that you started before October '13. Do not show up and ask to fold a receiver from a flat to build a post FSA '13 AK variant rifle.

2. SBR builds with an approved Form 1 allowed. Bring the Form 1 to the build party. If you have an approved Form 1, I would allow the builder to use my jigs to fold a new receiver from a flat.

3. Pistol builds on post FSA '13 recievers allowed. I would allow pistol builds to use my jigs to fold new reciever from a flat but the receiver MUST have a riveted rear pistol trunnion installed before leaving the build party.

4. Anyone looking to modify, repair, refinish their legally owned AK variant rifle, provide help or guidance to lesser experienced builders, or just shoot the breeze, are welcome to attend.

Does this sound fair?

Hello,

This sounds great, I do have a question about number 1 though would you allow 80% receivers that are bent and heat treated but need to be drilled and have the lower rails spot welded?

I ask because I have two and have had them for years but have never attempted to complete a build yet.

jayjyo

Jan 1, 2013
    Also I do have a Romy G build that I bought from a dealer prior to the ban that I would like to bring and have someone with more knowledge than I look it over, two or the rear rivets look like the were formed wrong when they were installed. It's solid I just don't like the way they look.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    would you allow 80% receivers that are bent and heat treated but need to be drilled and have the lower rails spot welded?

80%s that have never been drilled are still 80%s and aren't pre-FSA13. They fall under his category #2 or #3. Must build as a pistol (or SBR if you have the approved stamp).

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    80%s that have never been drilled are still 80%s and aren't pre-FSA13. They fall under his category #2 or #3. Must build as a pistol (or SBR if you have the approved stamp).

Thanks for clearing that up. I haven't watched this thread in a while. :thumbsup:

Saml

I survived the rapture
    Nov 27, 2016
    HoCo(lumbia)
    Absolutely don’t mean to necro this thread, but I have a couple questions: First , is there anywhere/ anyone who sells/ is willing to sell pre-FSA ‘13 receivers?

I’m new to building AKs - I’ve never done it before , but am extremely interested in building one! I’d appreciate anyone would could send me links to resources for the laws/guidelines for building one. I’d like to just make a basic romy as my first if at all possible. If not, I’d still like to make *something/anything!*

I saw above one of the posters had a build party in the past and it’s great the community gets together to help one another; I’m looking for some of that same guidance and help that was offered in the past.

Any replies / PMs are greatly appreciated , as again, I’m about as new to the world of building AKs or any gun for that matter and parts kits as one can be. I’m curious and interested in learning though & want to do so safely within the boundaries of the (unconstitutional) law. In fact, if anyone would want to take me under their wing and teach me the ways , I’d be willing to pay for that valuable hands on experience and assistance. I live in Columbia / Howard County , just as a point of reference , if there were any build gatherings happening anytime soon and one of you wouldn’t mind (and has the patience) to help a newb out! :)

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom