• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    What are the rules for building an AR , and registering the gun . Right by the book . buying parts on-line . Any help I would be grateful .

Thanks In Advance , welder516

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Post 10/1/13 lower receiver can't be built with lightweight barrel. HBAR, AR pistol or SBR only. You can buy everything online except the lower receiver, that transfers through an FFL with the MD form and 7 day wait (unless you opt for an 80% lower)

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    What are the rules for building an AR , and registering the gun . Right by the book . buying parts on-line . Any help I would be grateful .

Thanks In Advance , welder516
    If you buy the stripped or complete lower (not 80%) it is "registered" when you purchase. After that just build a pistol or hbar. No further registration needed. If you buy an 80% lower you can even skip the entire "registration" part. No FFL needed.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Post 10/1/13 lower receiver can't be built with lightweight barrel. HBAR, AR pistol or SBR only. You can buy everything online except the lower receiver, that transfers through an FFL with the MD form and 7 day wait (unless you opt for an 80% lower)

What do you mean by 80% lower ??? do you mean 80% complete

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    What do you mean by 80% lower ??? do you mean 80% complete

Yes, buy the 80% completed lower and a jig, drill bits etc, (I think about $100 investment for the tools) and you can build all the AR's you want (Just make sure you build a "Maryland Legal" AR. The 80% lowers don't require an FFL or background check or "voluntary" registration with the state.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Yes, buy the 80% completed lower and a jig, drill bits etc, (I think about $100 investment for the tools) and you can build all the AR's you want (Just make sure you build a "Maryland Legal" AR. The 80% lowers don't require an FFL or background check or "voluntary" registration with the state.

I like that !!! Thank You to everyone for the info.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    So then the gun is a wall hanger at that point , what if I would finish the other 20% ???

I do not have an evil black gun as of yet , just trying to figure things out .
    It becomes a gun when you finish it but homemade guns don't have to be "registered".

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Legally speaking, if you first build it as a rifle, you can not turn it into a pistol. You can turn it into an SBR after receiving your stamp from BATF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom