• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shogunade

Mar 21, 2020
    Thinking of buying out of state to save $200. How much are FFLs charging for the transfer?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I don't believe you can do that? I could be wrong though.

Prices may depend on where you live. Down where I am at, it's $100-$150.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I had heard from somewhere, maybe Duffys, that you had to purchase from in the state you live in. But that could definitely be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    You can buy a suppressor out of state. They are federally regulated. However, you will have to get the out of state dealer to do a form 3 transfer to a local FFL in state and then have the local FFL do the form 4 (tax stamp). It's really not worth the hassle of buying out of state on NFA items unless it's a full auto firearm that you really want to own.

Most shops seem to be $150 for NFA transfers.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Thinking of buying out of state to save $200. How much are FFLs charging for the transfer?

They vary wildly. I have bought several cans online and transferred them through South Carroll Sporting goods. I don’t remember what he charged, and even if I did, it may have changed, but he is very reasonable and easy to deal with.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    How easy or hard it is will depend solely on how easy or hard your FFL makes it. My FFL in Virginia makes it easy. Works the same as purchasing any other firearm: Buy online, tell them where to send it (most places already have their FFL on file). $40 transfer fee. Then do all the obnoxious form4 stuff for NFA items.

I think the default answer you'll get from most FFLs that deal with NFA items is $150 or so.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You may end up not seeing any of the 200 savings once you factor in any fees. I have done it as well. As long as the can is on a form 3, the ATF dealer to dealer transfer is easy and will add a few weeks or more to the process. Shop around. Transfer fees can widely range up to $250. Don't forget the dealer who is doing the form 4 will have to store it for a year or so. The transferring dealer will also have to have the can in hand to start your form 4.
    After all is said and done, you may only save a few bucks and introduce a bunch of hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom