Griffin Armament Revolution 9 - thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Took my upgraded Optimus to an indoor range. Couldn't really tell a difference sound wise since I was wearing double ear protection. Maybe slightly less blow back on the AR but I never had a problem before with gas to the face.

Turn around time was very quick once they received it. Took it 3 weeks to get there as I sent it registered USPS mail.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Took my upgraded Optimus to an indoor range. Couldn't really tell a difference sound wise since I was wearing double ear protection. Maybe slightly less blow back on the AR but I never had a problem before with gas to the face.

Turn around time was very quick once they received it. Took it 3 weeks to get there as I sent it registered USPS mail.

good to know, I was on the fence if it was worth $150 to upgrade or not There is no change to the 30cal blast baffle, all the others are 9mm, so probably not a huge difference in backpressure with 22-30 cal rifle rounds. One of the things I really like about the can is the low backpressure, especially with all 9mm baffles using the plan-A mount on 5.56, even with the 30cal baffle in it's not bad. They claim a 9db sound reduction, which would be revolutionary, but so far the limited tests I've seen don't seem to show a difference. Figure $150 towards another can might be a better thing to spend money on, maybe that Rugged Obsidian, really want a light 9mm K/full modular

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I’ve been considering an optimus 9 myself.

Why can it run on with what it comes with from the factory? (Without buying additional mounting options)

Ive seen conflicting videos on it.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017

Why can it run on with what it comes with from the factory? (Without buying additional mounting options)

The conflicting info is because they have changed what is included once or twice. Right now, according to their website you get a 5/8x24 taper mount adapter muzzle device and taper mount insert, so it’s good to go centerfire on anything.30 cal and below threaded for 5/8x24. Would need to purchase a 1/2x28 muzzle device for most 5.56 barrels ($80-$105 each not on sale, back when market wasn’t crazy they could be had on sale for about $60). And their new cam lok pistol adapter + booster assembly. So you’d need one or more of the cam lok barrel adapters they sell for about $60.

I’d be annoyed about them not including a cam lok barrel adapter since it can’t be used on pistols without, but everyone is raving about how good it is so I guess it’s a wash. Would rather they charge an extra $60 up front and save the customer the annoyance of buying a widget to have a fully functional pistol/rifle silencer though.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Think now it comes with the minamilist(mid size) taper mount extension, their pistol booster and QD piston, 22 and 9mm end caps. So basically 22-30 cal rifles, and 9mm handguns with locking breech. Adding the Plan A to screw into the booster housing allows use up to 35/9mm rifle cal with barrel length restrictions and taper mount. the 3 lug is the way to go for 9mm PCCs. THe fixed barrel spacer and other pistons allows direct thread use on PCCs and things. Basically you need more stuff to make it useful. Mine is configured 99% of the time with the 3 lug mount for PCCs, and IMO that is what it does best. I still use the taper mount / 30cal baffle, but more as an additional can if I'm bringing a couple people and multiple hosts, otherwise my Explorr is better in every way as a rifle can. The main issue is the length, in mid-config it's 8" long with mediocre performance, and can only use up to a 1.9" muzzle device(the hammer comp is just barely too long).

It can be a good first can to at least see what you like, and try to suppress a lot of stuff. IMO the Griffin taper mount devices are the best out there, decent variety, and they work as advertised, snug them up by hand, and they never come loose until the can cools a little, and you want to take it off. The overall length can be a bit awkward in rifle config, and it takes some stuff to run on everything it can. Overall I ended up buying a SiCo Omega 36M, and it's MUCH better. The Sico can swap in a taper mount adapter to use my griffin muzzle devices, otherwise it takes all the same stuff, but includes a ALS adapter, and no booster for pistols. instead of the Optimus's 6.7" short 9mm config with crappy rifle performance, and 8-9.6" rifle config with decent performance the 36M is 5" in K config and 6.8" in full, with decent performance compared to dedicated rifle cans. If I could do it again, Would definitely opt for that instead of the Optimus. IMO the Optimus is also worthless for rimfire, it's comparitively huge, and performance isn't great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom