SK long range match vs standard+, super lot or dumb luck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Harford county
    Finally used up my last few boxes of my lapua made wolf ammo so it is time to go back to testing rimfire ammo. With the lapua/SK wolf ammo doing so well, i figured i would go straight to the SK stuff as i didnt feel like spending the extra few bucks per box on center-x if i didnt have to.

If anyone cares, the data is attached and all was shot in the same day out of my cz455. 50 fouler shots on the SK LR match were fired before recording 30 shots due me cleaning the old wolf stuff out of the bore. 20 fouler were fired before doing the standard+. As a quick summary:

SK LR match:
    Shots: 30
    AVE: 1106
    SD: 9.2

SK Standard +:
    Shots: 30
    AVE: 1089
    SD: 7.2

Both grouped well enough for the 22 precision rifle matches i do with the occasional flier out of the 10 round groups i was doing. But with these matches regularly pushing past 200 yards for some stages now, would the higher velocity/BC pay off or should i stick to the standard plus that is giving slightly better numbers at a cheaper price? Or is this just some super lot of standard+ and i shouldn't count on this being the case for the other boxes and stick with the LR match which is supposed to be the better made ammo?

Attachments

• SK DATA.xlsx
      10.7 KB · Views: 117

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    ES is the number you really want to look at with rimfire ammo. That is what is going to give you your vertical at distance. Your ES numbers for that STD + are really freaking good. I would try and buy up all of that lot that you can find. Reach out to Good Shooting Inc to see if they can find it for you.

That STD + plus is a unicorn lot though. Don't expect them all to shoot like that.

Feb 17, 2018
    Harford county
    I can argue both points as to what is more important, extreme spread or standard deviation. But in my opinion ES is more important with a small sample size, SD when you have a larger. At the end of the day, its all just a fancy way to give a probability as to what your muzzle velocity is. But obviously my goal would be to have both minimized. Its funny that this cheap, relatively speaking compared to other match rimfire ammo, is on par to where i like my handloads to be.

In that excel sheet, i did separate out shots 11-30 and then again 21-30 to see if it just needed more rounds down the tube for the velocities to stabilize as it was a clean bore starting off. It looks like they did as the last 10 rounds with an ES of 24 and SD of 6.0, but the sample size also got smaller. Usually a sample size of 20 to 30 is what i like for a higher level of confidence. SD numbers really dont mean much with a sample of 3 or 5 in my opinion.

Im about to buy 3 or 5k of this lot if i can find it so hopefully it will last me a few years like that old wolf lot did.

Last edited:

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    yeah in my haste i didn't really think about sample size, just looked at raw numbers. i have a case of sk long range that my rifle really likes and has pretty consistent numbers. i always test with an entire box of 50 each time i start a new brick just to see what the numbers look like and it can be surprising. the current brick i'm on is an SD of 5 and an ES of 25 which i'm thrilled with. the last brick was SD of 9 and ES of 40 all because of 2 outliers in the group of 50, 1 high and 1 really low.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Before buying in bulk, I would run 50 rounds through the barrel of the ammo then test the next 50 as the lube on the bullet is likely slightly different between the long range and the plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom