• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    As the title says, my son wants to go fishing for snakeheads. I saw a set one time protecting their offspring at Pennyfield Lock, I haven't seen them since. Looking to find out if there are spots btw Rileys Lock and Swains Lock that are good for snakeheads. I also watched a vid from '18 of a guy who caught one on Little Seneca.

Thx in advance.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    They like muddy dirty water with low oxygen. In the Potomac they get deep in grass and cover. Top water baits seam to catch them really well. I’ve seen them caught on almost everything you would use for large mouth fishing.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    As the title says, my son wants to go fishing for snakeheads. I saw a set one time protecting their offspring at Pennyfield Lock, I haven't seen them since. Looking to find out if there are spots btw Rileys Lock and Swains Lock that are good for snakeheads. I also watched a vid from '18 of a guy who caught one on Little Seneca.

Thx in advance.

I saw three nice size ones couple days ago cruising around that part of canal for sure.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    They like muddy dirty water with low oxygen. In the Potomac they get deep in grass and cover. Top water baits seam to catch them really well. I’ve seen them caught on almost everything you would use for large mouth fishing.

Thanks. Research has showed same. Just bought some top water frogs in diff colors.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Buy or catch minnows. Works better than top water and if you really wanna catch snakehead make a day trip to Cambridge, MD and fish any drainage pond or head over and fish Marshy Hope Creek in federalsburg

casttrunnion

Jul 18, 2020
    MoCo Potomac
    Hi, local kid here. Pennyfield Lock is very hit or miss, I personally use heavy 30-pound braid with a topwater frog to kill a few snakeheads. If I'm feeling less dead than usual, Rileys Lock is great for catfishing, just throw some corn in the water and put something nasty smelling on your hook.

Fishing is like meditating, but better.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Started at the inlet @ Riley's off the kayak pier - nothing. Drove over to Violette's Lock and walked down about a mile - also nothing. Saw a bunch of turtles. Going to try and hit Pennyfield. Tried top water frogs, crank bait, spinners, and chatterbait. Figured something would have hit but nope.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Anywhere a jon boat can get access has been wiped out for the most part by "spot lighters"
    Does take long when you have each boat taking 20-40 a night, every night. Once an area is depleted they move on to deplete the next area, like locust

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Saw a couple of folks fishing south of Pennyfield while I was patrolling on our UTV on Saturday; didn't see them with any catches.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom