• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If I am feeling the OP's vibes, I think a 50 BMG bolt with antipersonnel and antimaterial rounds would be appropriate. Then find a place to shoot it.

I don't believe that there is anywhere local that I can shoot the 50. I can shoot up to the 458 WinMag at two local indoor ranges.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Go big or don't go at all....
    Ruger No.1 458 WM
    Weatherby 460
    Barrett 50 BMG
    Next up 408 Cheytac.... getting funds together....

Chow.

-Rock

I had friends who had one these.

Nobody ever fired more than one round out of it. Not per range session, but per LIFETIME.

That thing HURT.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Steyr used to make a guide gun. SSG in .458 WinMag. 4 round rotary magazine with a spare mag in the butt stock.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Nice thing about the .458 Winmag is that it can be downloaded to 45/70 levels and allow you to shoot the rifle more with less pain.

hoppes-no9

Nov 17, 2014
    So the factory ammo seems to be around 2200; does that mean you have to reload in order to reach the full potential of the round?

Reloading is the ticket. My elk load is mid-level, a 405gr JSP over enough RE-7 to reach about 1750fps, in the neighborhood of 2800 fp energy. I’ve gone hotter by 100fps but didn’t see the point of beating up the gun or my shoulder.

But there are some lever gun loads available commercially, some much hotter:
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=35

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Well God Bless you my friend if you can enjoy shooting these big ass rifles. 45-70 Gov, 444 Marlin, 450 BM, and 300 Win Mag are plenty good enough for me. ;)

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Reloading is the ticket. My elk load is mid-level, a 405gr JSP over enough RE-7 to reach about 1750fps, in the neighborhood of 2800 fp energy. I’ve gone hotter by 100fps but didn’t see the point of beating up the gun or my shoulder.

But there are some lever gun loads available commercially, some much hotter:
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=35

When I was reloading for my .50BMG I never used the maximum amount of various powder recommended. A milder recoil is sensed.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    byf43 must be a Brother from a different Mother ....as I love the Marlin Guides in .45-70 and .444!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I fell in love with the .45-70 Gummint YEARS ago, but, didn't get my first one until 2000. (The 1895G.)

Since then, I've bought three more.

My meager collection has:
    1895G (JM proof) built in 2000 and has a VERY low serial number!
    1895CB (JM proof) built in 2001.
    1895CBA (JM proof - IF memory serves me!) Bought it in 2009
    Shiloh Sharps Sporting Rifle #3.

Just LOVE the caliber.

I've got my youngest son hooked, also.

He bought the SBL and a member here offered an 1895CB for sale, and my son snatched that up, REAL fast!

I think I created a monster!
    He's supposed to go to Florida for vacation (hog hunting, fishing and SCUBA) and he's gonna take his SBL for the porkers.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    .375 H&H will do the "thump and bump" and not bankrupt you on the ammo. Not a "stopping" rifle but will still give you the feel of Africa in 1912.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    My vote goes to 45-70...more than enough power, pretty common round, good options for platforms, and has a pretty smooth recoil (in my opinion, anyway)

Edit: easy to reload as well (straight wall case). So shooting more is cheaper. Also since theres almost n overbore pressure on the round the barrel life is excellent

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom