• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    Hello, has anyone had good experiences with any local car dealers? (Within ~25 miles from Glen Burnie)? My girlfriend is looking for a dealership that does financing since she doesn't want to drain her savings, which is understandable. We've been to many dealers lately that flat out lie about having the car we're interested in, along with adding ridiculous fees, bringing a $5,000 car over $7,000 at times. Just looking for an honest dealer that won't lie to us or screw us over with hidden fees. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    If you get to 7000 from 5000, I'm guessing they are charging a refurbishment fee or some trash like that.

You have - title fee ($100), tax (6%), registration, (128 +/-), and a $300 dealer fee typically. Im sure im missing something from the state.

I bought a car from Rich Morton Mazda. They were far from the cheapest in advertised prices, but they ended up with the lowest price. Fitzgerald Mazda in Annapolis is expensive but no games.

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    She has an account with Navy Federal through me, but she just got her first credit card earlier this year and they already disapproved her for a small loan, but maybe we'll try again

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    we're ok with a dealer fee of like $300, but a lot of them try to charge some $900-$1500 "reconditioning fee," which is a joke because the last car looked and smelled like an ash try because they did absolutely nothing to it lol

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    To be honest, if your girlfriend hasn't owned a car beyond a year and doesn't have much credit, your best bet is a used Honda accord or civic, something known for reliability, with as low a mileage as you can find for around a grand. Make sure to take it somewhere trustworthy for a complete inspection. I would take it to what used to be Hondaman on ritchie highway south of jumpers hole rd. If it lasts beyond 6 months she got her money's worth. Then just patch it as necessary until she builds up her credit.

How old is she?

duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    She has an account with Navy Federal through me, but she just got her first credit card earlier this year and they already disapproved her for a small loan, but maybe we'll try again

was the small loan a personal loan? they might not have been keen on that since there's nothing for them to take back. i had two years credit and walked in to my credit union and walked out with a blank check for up to $30k in like 25 minutes a few years back.

might be worth asking them before they go and run a hard credit check. it's also a wildly silly that kids can hammer student loans with no thought but can't get a car to get to work...

also +1 for hondaman on ritchie. i used them when i had my old civic.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I recently bought from Carmax. The process was as easy-peasy as the commercials say, and their financing was actually better than what my bank offered. What was really neat is they gave me a chance to shop other banks. I paid my down payment, applied for their financing and drove the car home on a Saturday. They "held" the loan for three days before processing it. If my bank gave me a better deal, I could come running back to Carmax on Tuesday with a bank check for the rest of the loan, and they'd tear up my application with them. My bank came close...but not quite, so the Carmax financing automatically went into effect.

I almost never buy cars from dealers (this was my second in 26 years of driving :o), so I thought it was pretty cool.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    On the occasions when I would actually interact with a dealer ( excluding my one & only trustworthy honest dealer , who just retired and closed the business ) , my first words are to the effect of :

" I don't pay fees that don't directly go to the MVA . Whatever numbers we might discuss are for the real actual total price " .

And that works . If they sputter o r stutter at that , imeadately follow with " Goodbye " .

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    To be honest, if your girlfriend hasn't owned a car beyond a year and doesn't have much credit, your best bet is a used Honda accord or civic, something known for reliability, with as low a mileage as you can find for around a grand. Make sure to take it somewhere trustworthy for a complete inspection. I would take it to what used to be Hondaman on ritchie highway south of jumpers hole rd. If it lasts beyond 6 months she got her money's worth. Then just patch it as necessary until she builds up her credit.

How old is she?
    she's currently 20, but she's trying to avoid another old car if possible. If nothing else works out, I will certainly take your advice since the Hondas last so long

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    was the small loan a personal loan? they might not have been keen on that since there's nothing for them to take back. i had two years credit and walked in to my credit union and walked out with a blank check for up to $30k in like 25 minutes a few years back.

might be worth asking them before they go and run a hard credit check. it's also a wildly silly that kids can hammer student loans with no thought but can't get a car to get to work...

also +1 for hondaman on ritchie. i used them when i had my old civic.

She applied for a NFCU car loan and still got disapproved even though she works full-time, makes decent money for her age, and has been working at the same place and in the same line if work for years now. It just doesn't make sense lol

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Auto loans suck and are different then I remember them , you can pay double or triple in principle and the finance charges seem to be wacky ...Some trickle down economics .

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    I recently bought from Carmax. The process was as easy-peasy as the commercials say, and their financing was actually better than what my bank offered. What was really neat is they gave me a chance to shop other banks. I paid my down payment, applied for their financing and drove the car home on a Saturday. They "held" the loan for three days before processing it. If my bank gave me a better deal, I could come running back to Carmax on Tuesday with a bank check for the rest of the loan, and they'd tear up my application with them. My bank came close...but not quite, so the Carmax financing automatically went into effect.

I almost never buy cars from dealers (this was my second in 26 years of driving :o), so I thought it was pretty cool.

I've heard a lot of good things about Carmax, but they're just way out her price range for now. It's good to know you had a positive experience there. We'll keep that in mind for future cars!

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    Auto loans suck and are different then I remember them , you can pay double or triple in principle and the finance charges seem to be wacky ...Some trickle down economics .

I agree. Auto loans really do suck. I'm trying to pay mine off as quickly as possible just because they're annoying. I ended up getting a small $4,400 loan in February and now I've got it down to about $2,700. I can't wait to not have a car payment again

VT898

Jul 29, 2020
    Carmax has straight cost without the negotiating. In Laurel, Ellicott City and White Marsh.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    She doesn't want to keep running her credit check with loan applications. It will ding her credit, especially since she has very limited credit history. I would have recommended my BIL but his cheapest is between 9k and 10k. If she has 7k, see what carmax has available for under 5k. She wants to have some in the bank incase it needs repairs. Again, I suggest a low mileage Honda accord or civic. Maybe from early 2000's. Heck I've got an 07 with only 120k miles on it. No its not for sale, I'm running it until it dies.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Hello, has anyone had good experiences with any local car dealers? (Within ~25 miles from Glen Burnie)? My girlfriend is looking for a dealership that does financing since she doesn't want to drain her savings, which is understandable. We've been to many dealers lately that flat out lie about having the car we're interested in, along with adding ridiculous fees, bringing a $5,000 car over $7,000 at times. Just looking for an honest dealer that won't lie to us or screw us over with hidden fees. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

I’ve bought a bunch of cars over the years in the area, I’d say some of the larger dealerships- Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Nissan that I bought from were all fair. Stay away from the Drivetime, and similar “payday” loan types. Large dealers you can bring your own financing or use their preferred lenders, I’ve done both before.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Anything that cheap from a dealer is likely to be more trouble than it's worth.

If I were looking for cheap basic transportation and not caring what anyone thought about the car, I would be looking at a Chevy Malibu.

There is literally nothing on that car that is not a straight off the shelf GM product that has been proven over and over again.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...eCode1=CHEV&modelCode1=MALI&clickType=listing

JBA has a reputation for being pretty straight forward as far as dealerships go and that $10k car has a TON of negotiation in that price built in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom