• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    I will give you a HONEST opinion from owning or having owned Quite a few Rim Fire Bolt action rifles in my 70+ years

If your have unlimited funds to just wanting a nice accurate rifle

Remington 40 X Sporter Repeater $ 5,000.00 + Only 700 Made

Anschultz 54 Sporter (1710) $ 2,000.00 +/- Used ones $ 1000. +

Remington 541 s Sporter $ 700-1200 K-22/ Mauser 201----

Browning T-Bolt $ 550 --750 Either New production or Belgium Made

Keystone 722 Sporter $ 350.00--This is a rifle that much like the Remington 541' I have NEVER seem one that was NOT Accurate

Ruger All American $ 250. +/-

I did not included the CZ's as I have seen WAY too much inconsistency with there Q/C and accuracy and the Backwards safety

I have been using Fiberglass rifle stocks from Major manufactures since the early 70's on Centerfire rifles BUTT the cheap plastic stocks on today's rifles are mostly JUNK so that is why they were NOT included

All of the above rifles have better than average triggers

Jim

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have 3 CZ 457s, love them !!! very accurate and well made ! and on the .22 LR they make 25 rd magazines for it lol. I run mine suppressed.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I decided on a t1x. Swapped the stock to a b& c adjustable and threw a can on it. I an consistently hit a 3" target at 150 yds off a ladder. I feel there are lots of great 22 bolt options right now.

Excellent choice. The last bolt .22 I owned was a Rem 541S and I didn't think I could do much better in terms of consistency. Then I shot Fidelity's Tikka T1X last year and it changed my mind. There's really nothing about the rifle that I don't like. Trigger is perfect (for me), the bolt is like butter and you can shoot one-hole groups at 50 yards without even trying. Even at 100 yards, it's not that difficult to shoot sub-MOA with Eley Tenex or some other match grade stuff.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Excellent choice. The last bolt .22 I owned was a Rem 541S and I didn't think I could do much better in terms of consistency. Then I shot Fidelity's Tikka T1X last year and it changed my mind. There's really nothing about the rifle that I don't like. Trigger is perfect (for me), the bolt is like butter and you can shoot one-hole groups at 50 yards without even trying. Even at 100 yards, it's not that difficult to shoot sub-MOA with Eley Tenex or some other match grade stuff.

I need another .22 like I need a hole in the head. But if I was going to buy one, it would probably be that Tikka T1x.

I keep waiting for someone to find fault with that rifle. Been waiting quite a while now.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Darn right!
    I picked up a vintage Marlin Model 81 last year. Tube fed bolt action 22lr from somewhere between the 1930's- mid 1940's in good shape from a member on this forum. Although many of these came with rear peep sights, this one simply has the standard dovetail rear blade. It is still an amazing shooter. I bought it as a training rifle to teach my Grand Daughter gun safety. From a bench rest I am able to put a 5 round group just outside of a nickel at 50 yds, and remember, that's with ME shooting. A more seasoned shooter could improve on those groups, I'm sure. Still looking for a original peep sight for it, but it looks like that will cost more $$ than the rifle.
    There's nothing like vintage wood and steel. :party29:

My first gun was a Marlin 81DL with the peep sight. My Father gave it to me when I was about 9. I still have it and now I'm thinking I need to take it out and shoot it a bit now, it's been a while. I think it was made between 1945-1960.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I need another .22 like I need a hole in the head. But if I was going to buy one, it would probably be that Tikka T1x.

I keep waiting for someone to find fault with that rifle. Been waiting quite a while now.

The only fault with the Tikka is the crappy factory stock. But put it in the KRG Bravo and you can't beat it.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017

I found that if you are running the bolt hard, the T1X can jamb up. By bending the ejector wire, it corrects this.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I already have a Savage Mk II for all those that suggested one. I should have mentioned in the OP. I am happy with it; just thinking thinking about getting something different.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    For something old, my 30's Mauser 340b is amazing accurate. Its basically a sporter version of a k98 trainer. With good ammo, if I miss a blade of grass at 50 yards I'm surprised. Only rifle I own that will outshoot it is my Suhl 150 which was made for competition.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

It's not perfect but it's pretty close. I agree with gmharle about the stock. It's just kind of adequate but nothing special. It seems like most owners eventually swap it out for something better. The rifle is so good it deserves it.

I was all set on getting one and then recently encountered an un-fired Detonics USA Combat Master and well, the Tikka T1X has gone on the back burner (again) for the time being. :shrug:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Same here. ;)

I kind of want a Browning T Bolt but there are a lot of great suggestions here.

The only fault with the Tikka is the crappy factory stock. But put it in the KRG Bravo and you can't beat it.

I found that if you are running the bolt hard, the T1X can jamb up. By bending the ejector wire, it corrects this.

It's not perfect but it's pretty close. I agree with gmharle about the stock. It's just kind of adequate but nothing special. It seems like most owners eventually swap it out for something better. The rifle is so good it deserves it.

I was all set on getting one and then recently encountered an un-fired Detonics USA Combat Master and well, the Tikka T1X has gone on the back burner (again) for the time being. :shrug:

Just shows again that there is plenty of good info to be had here. Thanks for the insights fellas!

arts

Nov 14, 2014
    Thinking about a bolt action 22LR. Something akin to a Browning T-Bolt or a CZ 457 varmint. Might consider a Ruger American rimfire target; not sure. I would scope this one; no irons.
    Savage has come a long way in accuracy and have pretty decent prices. They also offer at least one model with the accutrigger adjustable from 1.5 pounds to 5 pounds.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    Savage has come a long way in accuracy and have pretty decent prices. They also offer at least one model with the accutrigger adjustable from 1.5 pounds to 5 pounds.

True. I picked up a B22 FV-SR only because it was on sale really cheap. Not really a fan of Savage but I was quite surprised by it's accuracy and trigger and it's a keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom