• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    So first off, I’m a revolver noob. But I decided to pick up this baby. Based on serial, it’s a 1916 Colt Police Positive in .38 special.

Since I’m learning about revolvers, especially these old ones, I was looking for some advice on what to do and not to do with regards to firing this gun. I know +Ps would be a no-no. But I have no idea what load would be acceptable to put through this gun. I’m not a reloader (yet). So I’m looking for advice on where I should top out on bullet weight/type and FPS. Also, since .38 is pretty scarce right now I grabbed whatever I could find that appeared to be on the lower end of the velocity spectrum.

I ended up with Winchester .38 special FMJ 130 grain with advertised FPS of 800 FPS and some Speer Lawman TMJ 158 grain with advertised 850 FPS. Is there any reason I should NOT put these loads in this gun? If so, what would you suggest? Sorry for the noob questions but I want to make sure I get it right before I take this beauty for a spin.

Attachments

• 4D5B3512-6C93-4DAD-9A58-7062DB2BD738.jpg
      4D5B3512-6C93-4DAD-9A58-7062DB2BD738.jpg
      61.1 KB · Views: 549

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There's no reason not to use those rounds. As you said...+P is not recommended. Not knowing the round count that revolver has seen, I would restrict shooting to rounds such as yours or 148 grain wadcutters.

Do not close the cylinder by flicking it closed tv detective style...that is not good for the gun by any means. Since it's nickel plated don't use any cleaning solution that has ammonia in it...if it gets under the plating it can make the nickel start coming off. You have a nice revolver there...keep it that way by taking care of it.

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    If you live near the Frederick area, visit Bob at Gunrunners. He is well versed in revolvers, especially Colts. Heck, his email address is two45colts, which says a lot.

I'm sure he would answer your questions and any others you had about the gun.

Doctortoxic

Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    Thanks, Bob. Your advice is super helpful. I agree it’s a really nice revolver. I don’t want to do anything stupid that would mess it up. Your advice will be helpful!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm pleasantly surprised at the condition of that gun. I avoid nickel plated firearms because they look so shabby when the plating starts to fail. I don't recall ever sein one that old looking that good. (Maybe I'm jealous. I'm not as old as that revolver, and don't look nearly as good.)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That is the same platform that evolved into the Detective Special 10 years later . Also back in the day , was the third most popular LE sidearm . ( Back then S&W had the M&P , but Colt had two revolver families - The Army Special which had a name change to Offical Police , and the Police Positive and its stretched sibling , the Police Positive Special . Made for interesting advertising wars , with S&W touting the LE usage of their specific Model , and Colt touting the overall sales of Colt Revolvers .

But more directly on the ammo inquiry - From its introduction up into the 1970's . THE Standard
    38spl loading was 158gr Round Nose Lead @ nominal 755fps . ( Yes , there were others , but they were niche outliers , and the158 RNL was overwhelmingly predominant .)

Doctortoxic

Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    I'm pleasantly surprised at the condition of that gun. I avoid nickel plated firearms because they look so shabby when the plating starts to fail. I don't recall ever sein one that old looking that good. (Maybe I'm jealous. I'm not as old as that revolver, and don't look nearly as good.)

Yeah I agree with you about the quality of the finish. However I think I may have been renickeled at one point. The Colt emblem on the other side of the gun appears to be slightly obscured by the finish, like new Nicole was put over it. Either way. It’s a beauty and I want to keep it that way.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It does look refinished. It appears a bit dished out around the screw holes and the nickel plating Colt did was awesome...but years and wear could make that look somewhat refinished. It could be the photography but the sides of the hammer looked blued...it would have been nickel plated originally if the gun was plated...same with the trigger. I'm thinking it was a blued gun that was nickeled later. Still...it looks to be a fine shooter.

Doctortoxic

Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    It does look refinished. It appears a bit dished out around the screw holes and the nickel plating Colt did was awesome...but years and wear could make that look somewhat refinished. It could be the photography but the sides of the hammer looked blued...it would have been nickel plated originally if the gun was plated...same with the trigger. I'm thinking it was a blued gun that was nickeled later. Still...it looks to be a fine shooter.

It’s not the photo. The trigger is blued. So you are probably right that this was a blued version and it was refinished later in life. Maybe proof it was a service piece and was renickled for retirement? I’m tempted to do the Colt research service on it to find out who it was initially sold to.

BTW, it was FILTHY. I got around to cleaning up the internals last night. I used that Birchwood/Casey Lead Removal Cloth on the burn marks on the front of the magazine and inside the chamber. Holy moley that thing is like pure freaking magic. It’s is shiney like a new dime inside and out now.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A lot of people hate on the old Colt V-spring action using a variety of expletives...admittedly it's a bit on the complex side for the uninitiated and not for someone to tinker with if they have no experience in such things. It was designed in a time when labor was cheap and hand fitting was considered normal. A Colt V-spring action revolver is a delight to shoot if it's tuned by someone who knows what he's doing. A S&W is probably a bit more durable in the sense it will go longer without necessary tuneups...but I've heard it said that while the S&W is a Chevrolet that only needs mild upkeep to stay working a Colt revolver is like a Ferrari...capable of great performance but needs more regular maintenance. Back in the day most all gunsmiths and police armorers were well versed in both Colt and S&W actions and the maintenance on a Colt was considered less a headache and just normal maintenance. Today few understand the Colt action and are more likely to criticize it than maintain it.

I have a 1949 era Police Positive Special...bought it in the late '80s or early '90s for almost nothing...it was missing its stocks and had absolutely no finish left...but it was in fine mechanical shape. I replaced the deeply grooved trigger with a smooth one, had it re-blued, gave it some nice walnut stocks and a a Tyler T-grip and today it's still one of my favorite shooters. I restrict it to wadcutters and it shoots beautifully.

1949-PPS.jpg

Take care of that Police Positive Special and it will last you a long time...it's already over a hundred years old and can go far longer.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    So first off, I’m a revolver noob.

...Sorry for the noob questions but I want to make sure I get it right before I take this beauty for a spin.

Welcome aboard! No need to apologize for being a noob. Everyone here was a noob once. And don't be afraid to ask questions. As you found, there's a wealth of information in this forum. I learn something new and interesting every time I visit.

:party29:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    If you live near the Frederick area, visit Bob at Gunrunners. He is well versed in revolvers, especially Colts. Heck, his email address is two45colts, which says a lot.

I'm sure he would answer your questions and any others you had about the gun.

"Bob" in Frederick...who knows a lot about old Colts? :tap: He doesn't happen to seem like he was originally Mexican, does he?:innocent0

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I inherited my Father's Colt Police Positive Special. It dates from 1922. It's got a ton of honest wear on it, to say the least! But the buggest problem was one of his friends was goin to do him a favor and make him some custom grips for it. I know he menat well but he lost the original grips, the grips he ended up making looked horrible and he scratched the hell out of the frame.:sad20:

The only real value this gun has are the memories of my Father associated with it.I really don't want to have it refinished but I would like to figure out a way to do something with those scatches but I don't have a clue other than polishung them out but then I'd be stuck with rebluing. If anybody has any ideas on an unobtrusive way to repair the damage, I'm all ears

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpg
      IMG_0488.jpg
      62.6 KB · Views: 192
    • IMG_0489.jpg
      IMG_0489.jpg
      50.9 KB · Views: 202
    • IMG_0487.jpg
      IMG_0487.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 196
    • IMG_0486.jpg
      IMG_0486.jpg
      84.7 KB · Views: 204

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a Police Positive I think was dated '26-27' I just remember it was pre -depression which is what I was looking for.

If those are the original grips, be careful with them, they can crack. You can still get replacements but not so easy to find originals.

Shoot 6 and wait a while, barrel can heat up. I do only shoot my own lead reloads myself.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A lot of people hate on the old Colt V-spring action using a variety of expletives...admittedly it's a bit on the complex side for the uninitiated and not for someone to tinker with if they have no experience in such things. It was designed in a time when labor was cheap and hand fitting was considered normal. A Colt V-spring action revolver is a delight to shoot if it's tuned by someone who knows what he's doing. A S&W is probably a bit more durable in the sense it will go longer without necessary tuneups...but I've heard it said that while the S&W is a Chevrolet that only needs mild upkeep to stay working a Colt revolver is like a Ferrari...capable of great performance but needs more regular maintenance. Back in the day most all gunsmiths and police armorers were well versed in both Colt and S&W actions and the maintenance on a Colt was considered less a headache and just normal maintenance. Today few understand the Colt action and are more likely to criticize it than maintain it.

I have a 1949 era Police Positive Special...bought it in the late '80s or early '90s for almost nothing...it was missing its stocks and had absolutely no finish left...but it was in fine mechanical shape. I replaced the deeply grooved trigger with a smooth one, had it re-blued, gave it some nice walnut stocks and a a Tyler T-grip and today it's still one of my favorite shooters. I restrict it to wadcutters and it shoots beautifully.

1949-PPS.jpg

Take care of that Police Positive Special and it will last you a long time...it's already over a hundred years old and can go far longer.

Speaking of, new hand and rebound lever from Numerich just showed up for my Colt Official Police so I can get it timed properly again. Learned a lot about this gun. It’s a complicated as heck action. But I’ve done a valve job on a 1964 MGB GT. I am used to complicated things.

Torn it completely apart. Read the manuals. Tried to get it adjusted but the existing hand can’t be stretched enough and the rebound lever I am nervous will break if I get it properly back in shape as much as it needs adjusting. So time to start with new pieces and adjust from there.

Love the gun though.

Doctortoxic

Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    So the Colt Archives got back to me on the origin of my gun. Looks like she started off at Sears in Chicago in 1916. Pretty neat to find that out.

Attachments

• 5D35DC94-5807-4787-8A0A-0CEA554A89CD.jpg
      5D35DC94-5807-4787-8A0A-0CEA554A89CD.jpg
      40.4 KB · Views: 128

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Before firing any newly acquired but used revolver, it is a good idea to have it inspected by someone that knows revolvers. Lots of areas where problems can develop from wear or abuse like flipping the cylinder closed. Timing, lockup, play, etc...

Cool to know where it started out, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom