• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Wife ran the 556k today in carbine. She liked it so now shes wanting to get a silencer.

Open to suggestions the big thing is weight. However I would not sacrifice durability for weight. Prefer to keep it full auto rated. Going on a 5.56, either a 16" bcm or 10.3, so hopefully no barrel restrictions either.

Open to suggestions.

Theres are the YHM Turbo K, but its a few months out. We do have an R9 ordered but I doubt itll be as effective as a dedicated 556 can.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Congrats.
    I have heard a 30can is more effective then a dedicated 556 can.

Maybe some experts will chime in soon.

I believe the 556 cans are a tiny bit better, but it’s not worth it for the versatility a .30 Cal can gives you.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    30 cals are usually heavier though and longer? Only a few 30's that come in K versions arent there? I mean 30 is nice but she doesnt have anything 30, and if she gets something, just buy another can I guess lol. Weight is probably the most important thing, but if a 30 is just as light, may be a great idea. 30 will give her less gas in the face too right?

How about the AAC M42000? Or is that the old style mounts that are known to carbon lock and have issues with accuracy? Im still new to the NFA realm.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    30 cals are usually heavier though and longer? Only a few 30's that come in K versions arent there? I mean 30 is nice but she doesnt have anything 30, and if she gets something, just buy another can I guess lol. Weight is probably the most important thing, but if a 30 is just as light, may be a great idea. 30 will give her less gas in the face too right?

How about the AAC M42000? Or is that the old style mounts that are known to carbon lock and have issues with accuracy? Im still new to the NFA realm.

You aren’t necessarily saving weight with a 5.56 can. Plenty of light .30 cal cans. There would likely be less gas to the face. The OSS cans are probably the best for that.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    You aren’t necessarily saving weight with a 5.56 can. Plenty of light .30 cal cans. There would likely be less gas to the face. The OSS cans are probably the best for that.

Shes too cheap for an OSS lol. Actually got her attention with the price of the AAC 762-SD, and theres a promo on that model right now. That may be perfect for her 10.3. Its heavy as hell though.

I've been looking at the Rugged Radiant 7.62. Its modular so you can go K or full length.

Shes too cheap for that too lol. I like it though. I love that option to do that. Im really excited for the optimus for that reason.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Shes too cheap for an OSS lol. Actually got her attention with the price of the AAC 762-SD, and theres a promo on that model right now. That may be perfect for her 10.3. Its heavy as hell.

That’s what I have and use it on 556, 6.5 and .30 caliber guns. It’s heavy, but works. The OSS you can find in the $600 range of you look around.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    That’s what I have and use it on 556, 6.5 and .30 caliber guns. It’s heavy, but works. The OSS you can find in the $600 range of you look around.

I did see the (2020)older version for cheap, I want to say 750 including the FH. 600 is really cheap though for an OSS. New right?

Mind sharing a little about the AAC? The cost and theres a gift card that comes with it right now. Thats really appealing.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have a lot of cans. If you want a .30 cal can that’s dedicated to 5.56 for a good price, Rugged Razor. Or Griffin 30 SD-K (you need to look outside of SilencerShop for a good price). Otherwise I say go for a 5.56 specific can. Rex MG7 .224, Griffin Recce 5, Griffin Explorr, and honestly the Saker 5.56k.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I did see the (2020)older version for cheap, I want to say 750 including the FH. 600 is really cheap though for an OSS. New right?

Mind sharing a little about the AAC? The cost and theres a gift card that comes with it right now. Thats really appealing.

I got my AAC probably 6 years ago. It does a solid job suppressing. I paid $700. You can do a lot better these days. It’s built like a tank. It is heavy, but I’m a big studly guy, so no issue. I have it on a 10,5” barreled SBR. I’m happy with it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have a 556 socom and a yhm 762 can. I use the yhm on a couple of my 556 guns. Lighter and cools down faster and has zero poi shift. I'm a yhm fanboy.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I have a lot of cans. If you want a .30 cal can that’s dedicated to 5.56 for a good price, Rugged Razor. Or Griffin 30 SD-K (you need to look outside of SilencerShop for a good price). Otherwise I say go for a 5.56 specific can. Rex MG7 .224, Griffin Recce 5, Griffin Explorr, and honestly the Saker 5.56k.

We are down for 556 or 30, either one works.
    The Saker was another eye catcher. If it was in stock Id probably be going for that honestly.
    Do you happen to have a recce 5 and explorr? I do like the recce 5 from the looks of it and am seeing a lot of good things. I also like griffin a lot so far.

I got my AAC probably 6 years ago. It does a solid job suppressing. I paid $700. You can do a lot better these days. It’s built like a tank. It is heavy, but I’m a big studly guy, so no issue. I have it on a 10,5” barreled SBR. I’m happy with it.

Would you say its old tech now? I cant remember where I saw someone saying to tooth mounts are not that great? Sounds like it has worked well for you though. How would you say it is compared to an oss in volume and tone?

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I have a 556 socom and a yhm 762 can. I use the yhm on a couple of my 556 guns. Lighter and cools down faster and has zero poi shift. I'm a yhm fanboy.

One of of the fb groups there was a respected gentleman saying how he prefers the yhms over the sf's. I couldnt believe it.
    YHM would be the ticket for sure but there supposedly 6 months backed up roughly. Im looking for something sooner.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Would you say its old tech now? I cant remember where I saw someone saying to tooth mounts are not that great? Sounds like it has worked well for you though. How would you say it is compared to an oss in volume and tone?

I would say it’s old tech. The 51t QD Mount is “ok”. Might be a little better than an OSS, though I don’t own one and have heard them a handful of times

I’m going to build my own because my wish-list just isn’t manufactured. I want reflex, large volume (1-3/4 to 2” ID) direct-thread suppressors.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    If it was 2014, then get an AAC can. Their mount is old tech and their cans are heavy. Their alumni have done well elsewhere and took their good ideas with them.

You can't have light, quiet, and cheap. If your new can can be used on your existing mounting devices, you will be much happier. Same goes for a .30 cal can- you can use it on more devices and the weight difference is minmal compared to how much more you will use it.

I would definitely pay more for a better can. You will have it for a very long time and it will need to be worth the required wait. I only have 1 rifle can (a Rugged Razor) because I use it on most of my long guns and AR pistols.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have an Explorr 6.5 that I won on gunbroker from my NFA Dealer for $480. He thought it was less funny than I did. Anyway I am still waiting for the paperwork to clear but I shot a .30 cal version that I thought did a good job for its size.

I have shot with a Recce 5 and I think they are underrated. Good quality, durable, good warranty, balanced back pressure with good at muzzle performance. And Griffin has a really good variety of muzzle devices.

But seriously, just buy a Rugged Razor and be done with it. Unless you’re nesting the can under a rail because you like burning your hands.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    If it was 2014, then get an AAC can. Their mount is old tech and their cans are heavy. Their alumni have done well elsewhere and took their good ideas with them.

You can't have light, quiet, and cheap. If your new can can be used on your existing mounting devices, you will be much happier. Same goes for a .30 cal can- you can use it on more devices and the weight difference is minmal compared to how much more you will use it.

I would definitely pay more for a better can. You will have it for a very long time and it will need to be worth the required wait. I only have 1 rifle can (a Rugged Razor) because I use it on most of my long guns and AR pistols.

I guess I should clarify. Its only a 1-3 week wait roughly.
    Quiet is a relative term I think. Cheap as in dealer cost or demo pricing. Probably dealer cost unless its Griffin because they are in stock for some stuff and seem to be restocking somewhat quickly. Maybe the Recce 5 should be the key.

The aac caught my eye because of its cost, even though its big and heavy. Then theres a gift card on it to sweeten the deal lol.

I have an Explorr 6.5 that I won on gunbroker from my NFA Dealer for $480. He thought it was less funny than I did. Anyway I am still waiting for the paperwork to clear but I shot a .30 cal version that I thought did a good job for its size.

I have shot with a Recce 5 and I think they are underrated. Good quality, durable, good warranty, balanced back pressure with good at muzzle performance. And Griffin has a really good variety of muzzle devices.

But seriously, just buy a Rugged Razor and be done with it. Unless you’re nesting the can under a rail because you like burning your hands.

We are just getting started, to early to be done lol. Definitely wont be going under the rail. Both rifles have BCM rails.

Honestly the Rugged isnt a bad price at all. Need a different muzzle device but still not overall that bad. This seems like a very good option actually.

This or a Recce5.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I understand just getting started. I am up to 14 or 15 suppressors. You would need to buy a Rugged 5.56 muzzle device but they are relatively affordable if you shop around. Recce 5 comes with a nice 5.56 muzzle device. Either of those cans will make you happy.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I understand just getting started. I am up to 14 or 15 suppressors. You would need to buy a Rugged 5.56 muzzle device but they are relatively affordable if you shop around. Recce 5 comes with a nice 5.56 muzzle device. Either of those cans will make you happy.

Its all about making the woman happy in this situation lol. I guess oddly enough a can that appeals to a woman. Probably impossible to find anything in that category. This one isnt that difficult though.

Looks like the ruggeds are out of stock. I have a couple more places to look. Ill contact them tomorrow too actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom