• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    So I'm wanting a new 22 pistol. Trying to decide between these 2. This'll be a suppressor host as well, so I'm looking at models already threaded. I was leaning towards the ruger, but have seen some people rave about their buckmark so now I'm torn.

So what say ye o MDS braintrust?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Absolutely love my MkIV Target in SS.

I had to put a Volquartsen trigger to really make it shine though. It’s truly amazing now and is probably my favorite pistol.

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    Really like my Mark IV as well. Cleaning is a pleasure, compared to my Mark III. I’m cutting back on 9mm and .45 ammo and shooting .22 more now. fred55

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Buckmark seems like an orphan. Browning doesn't do much with it. Ruger has a lot of factory models and a ton of aftermarket options.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Buckmark seems like an orphan. Browning doesn't do much with it. Ruger has a lot of factory models and a ton of aftermarket options.
    At first, aftermarket options were a big consideration for me. Thinking through it though this will likely remain mostly stock so it wasn't as big of a deal, hence me being open to the buckmark

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Ruger Mk II. All the strengths of the Mk series for a lower cost than the IV. Reassembly is easy once you learn how. That's what separates the men from the boys.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Just got a Buckmark today so haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Look at some of the comparisons on YouTube. I'm glad I got the Buckmark instead of the Ruger.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Just got a Buckmark today so haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Look at some of the comparisons on YouTube. I'm glad I got the Buckmark instead of the Ruger.
    Mind sharing what made you get the buckmark of the ruger?

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    When I bought the Buckmark, the new Ruger version wasn't out yet. The Buckmark I consider my daughters gun. Basic cleaning no big deal, more in depth cleaning requires re- zeroing with the ultra cheap red-do on it. hmmm maybe I should be the Ruger now...

The Buckmark is the only un I have ever considered selling.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Interesting. I have a Buckmark, Wife has a Ruger 22/45
    Ruger is lighter
    buckmark is heavier but lasts longer between cleanings and easier to pull apart
    Ruger required mods

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Ruger changed thier rimfire pistol to be more like a Buckmark. It's still not a Buckmark. I own six, including a carbine. In spite of the first pistol I ever shot being a Ruger mk i
    Ruger does offer a lot more models but each of my Buckmarks are different. Almost all threaded and barrels from 10" to 4". The carbine is 16". It just takes more work to find what you want with a Buckmark

howard762

York Match Director
    Feb 2, 2012
    Stewartstown PA
    I vote for S&W Victory

Nothing wrong with the Ruger. I own one. I also have 3 Buckmarks that I like better than the Ruger, and they are more accurate for sure. There is a ton of aftermarket stuff available for the Buckmark, though not much needs to be done. The trigger is great right out of the box.

However, my latest darling 22lr pistol is a S&W Performance Center Victory. I don't think it can be beat for the money and all the mods are already done.

I also have an old High Standard (love it) and a S&W Model 41(the pinnacle of 22lr pistol perfection) a S&W K22 revolver (why not?) and a S&W 22S (not great but ok, and more accurate than it should have been for the price)

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I have both, shoot both suppressed. the mk4 ruger is much easier to maintain and clean. love the aftermarket parts available and how easy it is to customize.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Mind sharing what made you get the buckmark of the ruger?

To be honest the YouTube videos were what convinced me. Like I said, I haven't shot it yet so I can't say much about it. I've shot a couple of different Ruger Mark III's and liked them so nothing against Ruger. In fact, Ruger has always been my preferred brand of firearms. It's just that this Buckmark came along from a member of this forum at a good price and I've heard good things about the Buckmark so I researched it a bit and decided I'd get it instead of the Ruger. From what I've read both are great pistols so you can't go wrong either way. I'm going to the range this weekend so l may have a few comments later.

dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    I have the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite and the Mark IV 22/45 Target with a Red Dot. I prefer the 1911 style grip. I installed a Volquartsen trigger in one of the lowers. I enjoy shooting both, and tend to be more accurate with the heavier target model.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So here's my 2 cents. I own a buckmark standard, SW victory threaded and a mark IV tactical. If I could only have one and it had to remain stock forever it's the buckmark all day. Best factory trigger and it runs like a champ. That being said for a suppressor host you can not beat the mk IV with Volquartsen full kit to include bolt tune up kit. It runs everything even dirtier than a Baltimore street corner after hundreds of suppressed rounds. It comes apart easy and a quick wipe and lube and you're good to go. The victory is a decent shooter but the trigger is lacking in the "OMG I love it" department. Not bad but not great.

arts

Nov 14, 2014
    The buck marks look very nice. If you are just going to shoot and don't plan any upgrades either is fine. If you are going to buy extras or customize it then the ruger is by far the best. I have had a couple of the rugers. They are easy to strip down for deep cleaning. Remington 870, Ruger 10/22 and the Ruger Mark have more after market parts then you could ever need.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have a Buckmark hunter and 22/45 lite. The Buckmark is more accurate, a bit more refined, FAR better trigger out of the box(made better for free by flipping the sear spring) and serial# is on the frame, thefactory threaded models are 6" barrels. Only downside is that the rail has to come off to disassemble it, but being locking the bolt back opens the chamber area wide from both sides, you really don't need to. The 22/45 is decent, much easier to takedown, but actually needs to be taken down to clean as the chamber is only accessible by the much smaller ejection port. The barrel is serialized, so need an FFL to swap a barrel, similar grip shape and control layout, trigger sucks, VQ trigger kit is epic though, 4" barrels and lighter than comparable Buckmark models, ambi-safety. I like the shorter barrel, lighter weight, quieter action(bolt is more enclosed) and better balance of my 22/45 lite though when running suppressed. Not a fan of the standard Ruger MK series "luger-ish" grip angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom