• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I bought a Deadair Odessa-9 from silencer shop back in June. The can was on backorder when I bought it and has been in "awaiting assignment" since I bought it.

For a while I really thought it was made and just waiting. Now I think it hasn't been manufactured yet. I emailed silencer shop in June and they said it should take 2 weeks, but it never actually takes 2 weeks. There is nothing I can do but wait.

Has anyone else dealt with this before? I know the state of the industry, so I am not surprised this happened.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    yeah

I bought a Deadair Odessa-9 from silencer shop back in June. The can was on backorder when I bought it and has been in "awaiting assignment" since I bought it.

For a while I really thought it was made and just waiting. Now I think it hasn't been manufactured yet. I emailed silencer shop in June and they said it should take 2 weeks, but it never actually takes 2 weeks. There is nothing I can do but wait.

Has anyone else dealt with this before? I know the state of the industry, so I am not surprised this happened.

early 2019 after the Holiday deal where they did the BOGO. That plus the gubbmint shutdown. They were working around the clock supposedly due to the BOGO deal.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    Of course the day I post this I get an email saying the item I ordered is reserved. I’m assuming that means they are about to ship it it the ffl. But I’m not entirely sure. Just glad I heard something.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Silencer Shop is just a distributor, so they are stuck with manufacturer projected lead times. I want to say that they will let you back order as long as the manufacturer projects 4-6 weeks or less to fulfillment of an order. Basically Dead Air had projected availability to be within SS’ backorder window, but then their OEM (KG Made) probably experienced COVID related delays and didn’t meet the timeline.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Of course the day I post this I get an email saying the item I ordered is reserved. I’m assuming that means they are about to ship it it the ffl. But I’m not entirely sure. Just glad I heard something.
    Typically that means that the manufacturer has notified Silencer Shop which serial numbers of a specific type of can will be headed their way, or the initial form 3 process may have already started. Could be a couple weeks still, hopefully less.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I honestly felt bad for SilencerCo when all that went down. It seems as though they misunderstood market demand for their BOGO sale by an order of magnitude. I’m glad they got everyone squared away, but holy crap did it take a long time. I think there are still a few guys out there waiting for their stamps to clear from that.

If I were in need of a bunch of silencers and a company with a rep like SilencerCo’s did one, I would maybe do it, but go in with the understanding that it may be a 2-3 year process all said and done.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    It took 2-3 years?!?!?? Granted I know a year of that could have been ATF issues, but still 2 years for a suppressor is insane.
    For some. With delays in production, form 3s, and form 4s, it got pretty ridiculous. I doubt there will be another sale that crazy anytime soon though. Silencer sales are BRISK these days.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Does anyone know if this is a bad time to buy a suppressor? I wasn't looking before recently getting interested and don't want to buy when everything is at a premium. Are suppressors now priced significantly higher than they were before riots and COVID?

For instance, I'm avoiding buying ammo right now and am relying on my stash.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    If I do pick up a suppressor, planning to one day have one for 308 (and 300 blk), 5.56 (and 22lr, 22 WMR), and maybe 45 ACP, is it smarter to buy a $1200 multi-cal Griffin, or 2 or 3 individual lower-priced cans? Are there often deals like the one mentioned in this thread, where dealers sell a $900 larger-cal can plus a $300 smaller-cal can? Or was that a shocking rarity?

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Does anyone know if this is a bad time to buy a suppressor? I wasn't looking before recently getting interested and don't want to buy when everything is at a premium. Are suppressors now priced significantly higher than they were before riots and COVID?

For instance, I'm avoiding buying ammo right now and am relying on my stash.

SilencerShop prices look the same as they did pre pandemic, at least for the models I was looking at. With a 9+ month wait there probably hasn’t been much of a run on suppressors to cause prices to go up.

If I do pick up a suppressor, planning to one day have one for 308 (and 300 blk), 5.56 (and 22lr, 22 WMR), and maybe 45 ACP, is it smarter to buy a $1200 multi-cal Griffin, or 2 or 3 individual lower-priced cans? Are there often deals like the one mentioned in this thread, where dealers sell a $900 larger-cal can plus a $300 smaller-cal can? Or was that a shocking rarity?

SilencerShop occasionally has sales where you buy a .30 cal suppressor and can get a free tax stamp, or discounted .22LR suppressor for like $100. They have them multiple times throughout the year and the brands change often.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    IX-3: Nice. It's good to know I don't have to wait for prices to normalize to get that paperwork started. Thanks for the info.

SilencerShop prices look the same as they did pre pandemic, at least for the models I was looking at. With a 9+ month wait there probably hasn’t been much of a run on suppressors to cause prices to go up.

SilencerShop occasionally has sales where you buy a .30 cal suppressor and can get a free tax stamp, or discounted .22LR suppressor for like $100. They have them multiple times throughout the year and the brands change often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom