• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    So, yesterday, I got a “Disapproved” return email, saying “See attached document for reasoning.”

Only their was NO ATTACHED documents. Which I now know is protocol. So I shot off emails (Via the site.) only after I left a voice message on the woman’s machine, asking “Why was it denied?” Instead of calling back, she sent an email saying, “You did not attach a fingerprint card to your cover letter.”

Something that was COMPLETELY BOGUS! I sent the 2 Blue Fingerprint Cards, along with the Cover letter, in a Large envelope. Put six stamps on it (Just to be sure it was covered. Especially since the hard cards were in it, and the envelope was so big.) Then, I taped both ends, with clear packing tape (Incase of bad weather, the cards wouldn’t have a chance of falling out.), along with two sheets of copy paper, on either side of the prints, and cover letter.

She refused to call, saying “Refund is in bound.” Which tells me flat out. They/she lost, and misplaced my 2 fingerprint cards, and is laying the blame on me. I left a message for the supervisor, and her, saying “So you got the cover letter, but not the most important part of the envelope, the prints to ensure I’m not a criminal? So, was the cover letter in a large envelope, with six postage stamps on it? Was it closed? Opened, or no large envelope at all prior to getting to you? Wouldn’t that afford a call to ask, Sir, did you include your prints?”

Someone there F’d up, and now I’m being faulted for their mistake. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    I've never Form 1'd, so I can't give you any advice, but damn, that sucks! Sorry! Hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

Appreciate that. I’m not allowing it to happen without someone explaining to me where THEY went wrong. Because I know exactly what I sent.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Appreciate that. I’m not allowing it to happen without someone explaining to me where THEY went wrong. Because I know exactly what I sent.

Yeah, they probably misplaced it. Resubmit and use registered mail. Though they obviously got it before and misplaced it.

Demanding an answer isn’t going to do you any good. The answer is, they couldn’t find the fingerprint cards. They lost them or you didn’t include them. I am sure you did include them. So I think you know the answer. Demanding they tell you isn’t going to do you any good nor make them reappear. The best you might get is “yes it’s possible someone within the ATF lost them”. Not like they’d know one way or the other. Not sure how ATF handles forms from the public, but odds are fairly high the person processing your application wasn’t the one who opened your letter. Especially in that case no one is going to remember.

That still doesn’t resolve it for you nor makes fingerprint cards magically reappear.

You are on to resubmitting. Sucks. It is what it is.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I never studied Latin but MSP most def stands for “Mistakes We Don’t Make And Never Ever Expect Us To Admit We Were Wrong - Ever!

Among the damndest organizational cultures I’ve ever encountered ...

I’d also file a Letter of Concern for the Record documenting this whole fiasco chronologically with as many 2A friendly GA members that may exist (obviously it won’t be a long list :-/

Do it now and it will likely prevent a repeat. Wait and it will be meaningless. Again, see Latin dictionary for MSP :-/

Oh yeah, and enclose a xeroxed photo of everything you put in the envelope this time around, as well - maybe with a Post-It attached reading, “In case any confusion arises as to whether or not all required submissions are received by your Division ...”

Fun Fact: “Licensing Division” translated in Latin is loosely, “Focus not on completing the Division mission statement but rather annually lobbying for more and more staff to assist in only annually lobbying for more and more staff ...!

Pinnacle

Firearm Licensing (MD, FL, AZ)
    Aug 11, 2020
    So, yesterday, I got a “Disapproved” return email, saying “See attached document for reasoning.”

Only their was NO ATTACHED documents. Which I now know is protocol. So I shot off emails (Via the site.) only after I left a voice message on the woman’s machine, asking “Why was it denied?” Instead of calling back, she sent an email saying, “You did not attach a fingerprint card to your cover letter.”

Something that was COMPLETELY BOGUS! I sent the 2 Blue Fingerprint Cards, along with the Cover letter, in a Large envelope. Put six stamps on it (Just to be sure it was covered. Especially since the hard cards were in it, and the envelope was so big.) Then, I taped both ends, with clear packing tape (Incase of bad weather, the cards wouldn’t have a chance of falling out.), along with two sheets of copy paper, on either side of the prints, and cover letter.

She refused to call, saying “Refund is in bound.” Which tells me flat out. They/she lost, and misplaced my 2 fingerprint cards, and is laying the blame on me. I left a message for the supervisor, and her, saying “So you got the cover letter, but not the most important part of the envelope, the prints to ensure I’m not a criminal? So, was the cover letter in a large envelope, with six postage stamps on it? Was it closed? Opened, or no large envelope at all prior to getting to you? Wouldn’t that afford a call to ask, Sir, did you include your prints?”

Government bureaucracy at it's finest. :sad20:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    If they disapproved and refunded, you are better off just sucking it up and trying again.

My response would depend on whether I had been waiting several months before getting disapproved.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Should have said that you sent them in that envelope and apparently they were lost somewhere. Then ask if they would be willing to hold your app long enough for you to send them new prints. Sometimes they are understanding about these things, if you explain how you can quickly rectify the issue.

On the other hand, if you had the joy of dealing with Carol Ripley, you are flat fvcked on this one. She disapproved 3 of my Form 1's, even after I asked for help in how to correctly submit one with the correct information she wanted. She did not help me one bit, so I kept getting disapproved on them, due to her being a b!tch about the whole thing. We pay her salary and the least she can do is give a straight answer when asked a question, due to a honest mistake.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    At least you got your cover letter. I submitted my eForm 1 on 11 August and I have yet to receive my email with the cover letter. I have sent a few emails to the "Ask an Expert" (the ONLY way to correspond with anyone) and keep getting told "There have been significant processing delays with both ATF and FBI due to Covid" and they are currently at a 4 week delay on getting Pending Research to send out cover letters. Today was the 5th week.

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    Sounds like they are having some issues right now. Good luck. As others have said, just resubmit as there is nothing else you can do. Even though they lost the cards, there is no way they will proceed without fingerprints.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    At least you got your cover letter. I submitted my eForm 1 on 11 August and I have yet to receive my email with the cover letter. I have sent a few emails to the "Ask an Expert" (the ONLY way to correspond with anyone) and keep getting told "There have been significant processing delays with both ATF and FBI due to Covid" and they are currently at a 4 week delay on getting Pending Research to send out cover letters. Today was the 5th week.

In the same boat now - I called the help line and did get to speak to a rep and he said to go ahead and get the prints and send them in as soon as the cover letter comes. Unfortunately, as soon as I hung up, I realized I should have asked if there is an "expiration date" on prints. Anyone aware of how "fresh" the prints need to be?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    In the same boat now - I called the help line and did get to speak to a rep and he said to go ahead and get the prints and send them in as soon as the cover letter comes. Unfortunately, as soon as I hung up, I realized I should have asked if there is an "expiration date" on prints. Anyone aware of how "fresh" the prints need to be?
    I've used 6 month old prints with no issues.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Well they obviously reached their office. Hope your prints didn't get applied to someone else's Form 1 (is that even possible?)

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I haven't done one since 2013, but was debating doing the form 1 thing again. Tried to check the ATF site for electronic and it was down this morning. So..., now I have to go do more research. lol Gotta love .gov. I'm wondering if they're just swamped right now with the panic.

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    I haven't done one since 2013, but was debating doing the form 1 thing again. Tried to check the ATF site for electronic and it was down this morning. So..., now I have to go do more research. lol Gotta love .gov. I'm wondering if they're just swamped right now with the panic.

I think they are normally down on Wednesdays. At lease that is what I remember from the spring of this year.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

I think they are normally down on Wednesdays. At lease that is what I remember from the spring of this year.

the ATF eForms website is always down on Wednesdays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom