• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nomade

Apr 26, 2014
    Anyone know anything about the Bergara rifles?

Lots of favorable feedback based on some reading.

I have the Bergara B14 hmr. Only shoot 20 rounds, I like it, but I can't give much information.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm going to have an opportunity next summer to do some 1000 yard shooting, probably the only time in my life I'll be able to do it. I just need to be able to bang some steel out there, not worrying about being better than anyone else and measuring groups.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I'm going to have an opportunity next summer to do some 1000 yard shooting, probably the only time in my life I'll be able to do it. I just need to be able to bang some steel out there, not worrying about being better than anyone else and measuring groups.

The Ruger Americans can do that.

What range are you going to? If you don’t mind me asking.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Ruger american predator. Switch the stock. Get a good scope and you're set.

Mine in .308 does 1-1.5 moa with hunting ammo. 0.75moa with fgmm.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    You can easily shoot out to 1,200 at Peacemaker in WV during their Frontier days. I think it’s $75, they have 25+ steel targets at ranges from 500-1,200 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s a place in central PA I’m a member at as well.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Ruger american predator. Switch the stock. Get a good scope and you're set.

Mine in .308 does 1-1.5 moa with hunting ammo. 0.75moa with fgmm.

I don’t mind the stock. It’s ugly as sin but it gets the job done. Needs a bit of filing inside to make it not touch the barrel though.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    My RAP in 6mm CM hasn’t gone past 100 yds yet, but it’s sub-MOA so far using Hornady ELD-M 108 gr. Agreed the stock is garbage, I spent all day one weekend sanding and Dremeling out the barrel channel to free-float it, only to determine that it’s simply too damn flimsy and still made contact with the barrel with even the slightest pressure on the bipod or bag. Even off-hand I could easily squeeze the stock into the barrel. I tossed it in favor of the Boyd’s AT-One thumbhole, which has been great so far. I’m a member at Peacemaker and plan to give the RAP some work out to 1,000 soon. Unfortunately the last time I was at PNTC I got in a fatal car accident on the way home near Libertytown, and I just got my truck back from the shop, and just got my body back from 2 months of physical therapy. I’m itching to get back to the long range shooting as soon as I can, and the RAP is gonna get tested.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    My RAP in 6mm CM hasn’t gone past 100 yds yet, but it’s sub-MOA so far using Hornady ELD-M 108 gr. Agreed the stock is garbage, I spent all day one weekend sanding and Dremeling out the barrel channel to free-float it, only to determine that it’s simply too damn flimsy and still made contact with the barrel with even the slightest pressure on the bipod or bag. Even off-hand I could easily squeeze the stock into the barrel. I tossed it in favor of the Boyd’s AT-One thumbhole, which has been great so far. I’m a member at Peacemaker and plan to give the RAP some work out to 1,000 soon. Unfortunately the last time I was at PNTC I got in a fatal car accident on the way home near Libertytown, and I just got my truck back from the shop, and just got my body back from 2 months of physical therapy. I’m itching to get back to the long range shooting as soon as I can, and the RAP is gonna get tested.

I just took a hacksaw to the inside, and also did some filing. Not a problem anymore. I would get an aftermarket stock, but they’re all so damn heavy.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I bought the Magpul hunter stock for the ruger. Seems like a huge improvement. Boyds are good enough as well, but the Magpul was a better deal at the time.

The .308 ruger predator has a short barrel, which I wouldn't buy again, but the 6.5 is 22". Not sure why they're different.

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    Another vote for the xbolt (hells canyon speed). First time I've spent that kind of money on a rifle, but boy is it nice...perfect weight, great trigger, and I think the nicest polymer stock out there. I'm a fan of the bang for your buck category too, but when you start handling nice stuff it is hard to put down. I'm not a benchrest shooter, so can't say exactly what it will do, but me on a bag just starting to get my scope settings....it was just over 1/2" with Hornady Precision Hunter. Certainly in a rest it would be less, and the handloaders would probably make one hole with it. Makes me want more of them unfortunately for my wallet.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I bought the Magpul hunter stock for the ruger. Seems like a huge improvement. Boyds are good enough as well, but the Magpul was a better deal at the time.

The .308 ruger predator has a short barrel, which I wouldn't buy again, but the 6.5 is 22". Not sure why they're different.
    I’d have gone that route as well, but the Magpul for the RAP hadn’t been introduced yet at the time I got the Boyd’s. I bought this rifle on a whim at the Bass Pro Bargain Cave for less than $400. Even though I dove fully into the long range game at that time, and 6mm CM was the hot cartridge of the time, I never intended this rifle to be a viable long range gun (had others more suited), so I didn’t want to spend a lot on upgrades, but that crap stock had to go. Boyd’s was only around $200, and it looked really cool TBH. I love a good thumbhole stock, and this one is seriously comfortable and fits me perfectly. I have one criticism of the Boyd’s AT-One, and it might prevent me from buying another, it’s so damn small. The LOP is miserably short, and even though it’s highly adjustable, the LOP adjusted all the way out to the max is only as long as a standard short OEM stock. It would be a great stock for a woman or child with those dimensions.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

I would get that Magpul stock but it adds a good few pounds to the rifle. I like to keep them light. If it's cheek weld you don't like about the OEM stock, you can buy and install a cheek riser.

I like shorter barrels. I wish they had more 18" 6.5CM on the market. The 22" is a damn pole vaulting stick when you add a suppressor on it.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Shhh keep it a secret ;)
    Got my membership application filled out and need to send it in. That’s a long way from Hampstead, but I’m pretty much exactly half-way between there and Peacemaker. Roughly a 2 hour to 2:15 drive to each of them. Got my long range training with Ghost Firearms Training, spring 2019 up there. Can’t wait to get back up there.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Got my membership application filled out and need to send it in. That’s a long way from Hampstead, but I’m pretty much exactly half-way between there and Peacemaker. Roughly a 2 hour to 2:15 drive to each of them. Got my long range training with Ghost Firearms Training, spring 2019 up there. Can’t wait to get back up there.

It's well worth the drive. Cheap motels or camping turn it into a 2 day weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom