• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Previous thread recommended a Ruger American. So now I am thinking of going beyond a Ruger American, since I have a promotion pending. I am now thinking Browning Xbolt, Weatherby Vangaurd 2, Tika T3X, and even a stainless steel Savage 110 Storm. Comments?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Myself I would look for a high condition pre 64 Model 70 Winchester, most common caliber and can be had for less than a grand.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Don’t have a high dollar , far from it, rifle 06 that is .But bought a Thomsan Center compass and that thing is on . Have a compensator and was just shocked at the performance of the rifle .bought for hunting figure I didn’t have to be so worried about it. Bolt ehhh not the tightest tolerances but damn it shoots. Love my 1903 Springfield . Have some other bolts but not in 06 a Savage and my paps ole rifle.Fan of Daniel Defense, want one of there’s but don’t believe they come in 06. Nice rifle if your not stuck on the 06.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Previous thread recommended a Ruger American. So now I am thinking of going beyond a Ruger American, since I have a promotion pending. I am now thinking Browning Xbolt, Weatherby Vangaurd 2, Tika T3X, and even a stainless steel Savage 110 Storm. Comments?

An older Remington 700 would be a good one also, I see them fairly often in shops locally. Suggest if you’re in the Baltimore area stop by The Gun Shop in Essex, they’ve always got some quality used bolt action .30-06.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I have a stainless savage in 300win mag that does this at 200 yds

Attachments

• 4879D3BB-03ED-4C6C-BE8C-2D5161FE9B00.jpeg
      4879D3BB-03ED-4C6C-BE8C-2D5161FE9B00.jpeg
      44.9 KB · Views: 478

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    Calicojack, they pretty much all shoot...some just more finicky than others. Decide on what features you want that are important; that's what you pay for. Weight, stock material/color, finish (blued, stainless, cerakote, etc...) barrel threaded or not, safety type/position, bolt config (90 vs 60), magazine type (detach vs blind or floor plate). Want to throw it in the truck and not worry, or do you want something pretty that you're afraid to scratch up in the woods...or something in between? Any gun you quote, you'll find people that like/don't like, and you can spend $300 or $3000 and get similar performance. Having bought many flavors, I've found it really comes down to deciding on what things matter to you, then find a mfr that makes it that way. I'm partial to tang safeties, and now 60deg bolt throws. That narrows things down for me....xbolts being my current fave.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    As an admitted sako/Tikka fan, I would say Tikka based on your list. Browning xbolt would be a close second as I have owned them and had good results.

If you want to open up to used, take Mexican Bob up on his offer and check out his WeatherBug mark v. Or find yourself a nice used sako.....

No matter which way you go, the 30-06 is a great round to work with. Easy to load for. Bullet choices are nearly unlimited.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    If you don't want used a new Winchester Model 70 Super Grade is a pretty nice rifle, they are available in 4 different wood choices, walnut, black walnut, French walnut and maple.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020358047

I'll second Augie's mention here. If you're looking for a new production rifle that features nice wood and polished blued steel, they're actually more than a bit of a challenge to find nowadays. And what you do find tends to come from overseas. But Winchester does a nice job with the Super Grade variations.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you don't want used a new Winchester Model 70 Super Grade is a pretty nice rifle, they are available in 4 different wood choices, walnut, black walnut, French walnut and maple.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020358047

They don't have the maple stock available. The stainless in black walnut is stunning and is available in 30-06.

[EDIT] Actually Grab A Gun has a maple one for $1277

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Don’t have a high dollar , far from it, rifle 06 that is .But bought a Thomsan Center compass and that thing is on . Have a compensator and was just shocked at the performance of the rifle .bought for hunting figure I didn’t have to be so worried about it. Bolt ehhh not the tightest tolerances but damn it shoots. Love my 1903 Springfield . Have some other bolts but not in 06 a Savage and my paps ole rifle.Fan of Daniel Defense, want one of there’s but don’t believe they come in 06. Nice rifle if your not stuck on the 06.

That's a great point on the Compass; I have a Thompson center Icon in 243 and that bad boy has a clover leaf pattern at 100 yards; rounds right on top of each other. Unfortunately they don't make the Icon any more and the Compass has a lesser stock, and looser tolerance as you say. Course I could always put on a better stock and still not spend a ton of money.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    The suggestions here already are good ones and depending on your budget, you can do very well indeed. Remington 700, Winchester Model 70 (especially if you can get a pre-'64), Browning, Weatherby, Tikka/Sako- all make great rifles. I am personally into the all-weather stainless/synthetic indestructible bolt guns that I don't feel I need to rub with a diaper when they get rained on all day long so I have a Ruger 77 Mk II in 30-06 and a Savage 110 in .308 but I do appreciate a gorgeous blued/figured wood rifle and have always dreamed of getting a Weatherby in a dangerous game configuration like .375 H&H or .416 Rigby just in case I end up in Alaska some day in the land of the bear.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    A lot of money but sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

Yep. Some of which the videos won't help you with, that isn't immediately obvious, until you get a rifle handed to you across the counter.

Wrap your hand around the forend on that rifle, and the first thought you'll have is that the checkering feels like it could cut your fingers.

That said, much depends upon what you do and don't want and value. It can rain all day on my Savage Weather Warrior, and I couldn't care less. That one is all about utility. And why I have it also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom