• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    .... I have a Ruger 77 Mk II in 30-06 and a Savage 110 in .308 but I do appreciate a gorgeous blued/figured wood rifle and have always dreamed of getting a Weatherby in a dangerous game configuration like .375 H&H or .416 Rigby just in case I end up in Alaska some day in the land of the bear.

I go to Alaska quite a bit, have a Ruger Model 77 S/S in .338 WinMag. By far my favorite rifle of any that I have ever owned, it seems to fit me like a glove.

Back to the OP, can't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned already, and .30-06 is a great caliber!

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I go to Alaska quite a bit, have a Ruger Model 77 S/S in .338 WinMag. By far my favorite rifle of any that I have ever owned, it seems to fit me like a glove.

Back to the OP, can't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned already, and .30-06 is a great caliber!

Funny you say that...the only reason I bought the 30-06 was because the .338WinMag I was trying to buy was not in stock and the $$$ was burning a proverbial hole in my pocket, i.e. I was too impatient to wait and justified the 30-06 to myself because of the plentiful ammo options. Here 20 years later, I still haven't got anything bigger than the 30-06 and the .308...which is why I have the Weatherby African Game bolt-action on my wish list.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Does it HAVE to be a bolt? I have several in 06 and like them all BUT dumbest move I ever made was selling my Browning BAR in 06. Probably the best shooting rifle I ever owned, I would like another. :sad20:

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Are you going to leave it alone and just shoot it, or will you tinker with it and swap barrels?

Least expensive is a Savage. Later you can have the receiver squared and put a very nice barrel on it or even change calibers with a simple barrel swap. It is nice having a .30-06, that can swap into a .25-06, .35 Whalen, or .308, all with a vice, barrel wrench and the correct go/no-go gauges.

For a little more money you could get one of the better Remington 700 long action receivers, like Bighorn, and have the swap barrel and aftermarket 700 accessories.

Save money for good glass.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If you like your Ruger American then why not consider a Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 ?

The Hawkeyes are an advanced improvement over the 77 Mk II action. The American line gets all the attention for its' price point and quality so the M77 Hawkeyes get overlooked when folks have money and are shopping for more gun.

Here's a pretty good review from Shooting Times

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/ruger-hawkeye-hunter-30-06-review/383329

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    A pre 64 Winchester would be great, but even and 80-90’s era Mod 70 with push feed would be superior to a lot of today’s offerings. I’m a little biased against so much use of plastics in today’s rifles.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What CStone touched upon . Are looking for raw material to further restock , rebarell , etc , or something to use in its oem configuration for the foreseeable future , if not indefinitely ?

If the latter, place heavy emphasis on stock fit, how it balances for you , and if the appearance aligns with your preferences and druthers .

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Don't forget to look at Kimber , I love my Mountain 308 and it's available in 30-06 , All those others will wear you out carrying it around all day , They have other models to . Just a really nice rifle for a fair price

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    I believe either the Mossberg Patriot, Ruger American, Savage 110, or pre 64 Winchester 70 are all great firearms. I have used the Mossberg 100 ATR for years, then bought the Patriot Revere model. I also own several Savage Axis rifles, all perform very well out to 500 yards. I use the Mossberg 100 ATR the most, reason being if it gets banged against rocks trees or ground it's not a 1000.00 loss. It has taken a beating over the years, but at the range, it stays on target plus,or minus a click or two. Hope this helps you out.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I ended up getting this circa 1994 Weatherby (Miroku Howa) Mark V. I added the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10X42 scope.
    [EDIT] Ok - I see conflicting info; not sure if the Mark V was made by Howa or Miroku.
    [EDIT2] DOM Apr 1994

Attachments

• IMG_0999.jpg
      IMG_0999.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 139
    Last edited:

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    If you are set on a bolt, be adventurous and try out a left handed model. They are a pain to find parts for, but some people find the reloading action suit their style more. For example, using a tripod to shoot, you can reload without removing trigger finger, might give a more consistent shot

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom