• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Supreme Court Docket
    Sep 12 2011 Response Requested . (Due October 12, 2011) [Court requesting the Solicitor General for the United States respond to Mr Lowery's cert petition]

The ruling below
    Lowery was convicted of possessing an registered handgun in Washington DC due to an incident in 2006 when his home was searched for officer safety as part of an eviction and the handgun was found under his mattress. The ruling below is from September 2010 and the court went through a lot of hand-wringing as to why Heller was not appropriate and the conviction should not be reconsidered. The dissent nails the majority and states Heller should apply and his case should be reexamined, citing Plummer v US (apparently a post-Heller case in DC with very similar circumstances, sounds like he was set free but I haven't read his case yet).

krucam

Ultimate Member
    I don't see this one gaining much traction.

SE DC, behind on rent, eviction proceedings, Sheriff's Office present for eviction, gun found during "safety search".

Whether the gun was found during a preliminary search (it was under his mattress) or was found when they're removing the mattress (remember, this is an eviction), the gun was going to be found one way or the other.

I don't see this being an ideal case for dealing with firearms registration schemes and/or FOIDs.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

SE DC, behind on rent, eviction proceedings, Sheriff's Office present for eviction, gun found during "safety search".

Whether the gun was found during a preliminary search (it was under his mattress) or was found when they're removing the mattress (remember, this is an eviction), the gun was going to be found one way or the other.

I don't see this being an ideal case for dealing with firearms registration schemes and/or FOIDs.

Actually, I think this has merit. The eviction, search has nothing to do the 2A issue.

Police conduct a search, in their search they turn up things. Was the suspect arrested for a kitchen knife, no! The suspect was arrested for having an unregistered firearm "in the Home" located in DC.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    This was "In The Home"! The police removed the gun from the home so he was not even in possesion of it or transporting it. The persecuter is the one who belongs in prison.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA

Huh, I didn't know DC had a Sheriff's Office.Learn something new every day.

Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    The petition for cert (found at CalGuns) is attached.

The question presented to the court:

Whether the “right to keep and bear arms” protected by the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution as enunciated in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. _____, 128 S..Ct. 2783, 171 L.Ed. 637 (2008) applies retroactively to a person who possessed a handgun in his own home without a registration certificate that was not obtainable at that time by ordinary, law-abiding citizens; and had not asserted his Second Amendment right at a trial held prior to Heller.

Attachments

• Lowery v US Cert Petition.pdf
      191.4 KB · Views: 192

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Interesting. I wonder if this sort of ties in with Williams and Masciandaro-criminal convictions getting overturned when either A) A license didn't exist at the time(Masciandaro), or B) A license exists but is next to impossible to obtain(Williams). This may indicate a step toward shall-issue with some teeth. States like MD would not help themselves by playing games and making people wait 6 months for permits, excessive fees,exc. if they know convictions will be tossed.

jrosenberger

Jan 19, 2011
    NH
    Not a very ambitious question, sounds like he's hoping to skip the drama and be GVR'ed.

Yeah, my non-lawyer, only knows about this stuff from following on forums opinion is that this either gets GVR'd or denied. It seems pretty unlikely that SCOTUS would take the case without the arguments being developed at the lower courts. I'd bet on a quick GVR.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    It is preferred to directly cite the decision or legal theory the GVR will instruct the lower court to use. GVR means the court below really screwed the pooch doing their homework and the Justices do not need to waste their time as its so obviously wrong.

Afield

Jul 3, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    It is preferred to directly cite the decision or legal theory the GVR will instruct the lower court to use. GVR means the court below really screwed the pooch doing their homework and the Justices do not need to waste their time as its so obviously wrong.

Implying they could GVR Williams...though it wouldn't have the usefulness of a well written opinion...?

jrosenberger

Jan 19, 2011
    NH

In this case it's not a screwed the pooch GVR, it's a the world changed GVR. That's what happened in Maloney (the NY nunchuku case). After McDonald, SCOTUS GVR'd it saying 'reconsider in light of McDonald'.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    jrosenberger,
    That was correct for Maloney as Heller was fresh jurisprudence at the time, Lowery came two years after Heller and two months after McDonald so they certainly had time to consider their implications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom