• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    So I happened on to what i feel was a pretty good deal on a very well kept Navy Arms 1851 Navy .36 reproduction with the octagonal extended barrel and steel frame. A little research yesterday tells me that with the GU script on the side and the serial numbers being 26XX(and no proof mark) this was one of the early Navy Arms revolvers they imported between 1958 and 62. Since Navy Arms is back in business Ive shot them an email to see if I can get the exact year from the serial number but would anyone know true estimated value range?

Also looking for an early Navy Arms revolver box to go along with it, anyone have an idea where i might find one? I had bought it to shoot as its my first foray in the BP revolvers but with what I now know I think this is going to just be a collector for me and i'll have to go find another one for shooting.

Last edited:

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    Actually no its the 1851 Navy Yank reproduction in .36....was imported under a deal with Gregorelli and Uberti(hence the GU script written on the side of it) before Uberti went on their own. Highest number i found so far on them im being told was 2715(mine is 2628) so it was one of the final 100 made for a civil war centennial collectible that Navy Arms had produced between 1958 and 1962. These have no italian proof marks so the only way i can get the exact year is waiting on the email i sent to the folks over at Navy Arms(who are back in business) but i suspect this is a 61 or 62 manufacturing year due to the high serial number.

https://bluebookofgunvalues.com/Bla...Y_ARMS_CO_REVOLVERS_PERCUSSION_1851_NAVY_YANK

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    I may just pay the few dollars for the blue book value but hoping someone on herem ight know a bit more about these specific firearms as they were brought in via Navy Arms in West Virginia.

Dec 31, 2012
    Back in business?
    According to their website they're not doing much but I'd be happy to see more.

Q: Is Navy Arms currently importing the Italian replica firearms?
    A: Not at this time. The current product line includes the Winchester made 1873 rifles only.

Do you have a link other than http://www.navyarms.com/index.html ?

It's been a PITA to find parts for their old lines.

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    Back in business?
    According to their website they're not doing much but I'd be happy to see more.

Q: Is Navy Arms currently importing the Italian replica firearms?
    A: Not at this time. The current product line includes the Winchester made 1873 rifles only.

Do you have a link other than http://www.navyarms.com/index.html ?

It's been a PITA to find parts for their old lines.

http://www.navyarms.com/1873_rifles.html

You can google search this new rifle they are making with Winchester($2500) but this is all they are making now.

I see parts here and there on ebay fairly often.

As for this model of pistol I just got an email back, it appears it was 1960 or early 61(the responder wasn't positive). The 1851 reproduction that Navy Arms made with the GU stamp was for the civil war centennial and was one of the first of the black powder reproductions made and brought into the US it appears. To think i paid $150 for this and it looks complete and rarely fired(i wonder if it ever was fired as there is no smell of powder or cleaning products to it). I had planned to make this my first shooter in the BP world but guess i may have found a needle in a haystack so now time to go hunting for a box made around that time frame and the powder flask and other items that would have come with it.

:party29:

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    Added some pictures....

Attachments

• 20140219_195828.jpg
      20140219_195828.jpg
      44.5 KB · Views: 1,067
    • 20140219_195810.jpg
      20140219_195810.jpg
      125.9 KB · Views: 1,093
    • 20140219_195838.jpg
      20140219_195838.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 1,080

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    actually from what im finding out the older ones were hand made in italy using the same molds that colt used. Could probably get newer parts but why would you want to on some of the early reproductions. I can see why AntiGun is looking for original parts from them as they are a bit different. Just got a message that the 1851 repros that GU made are interchangeable with the original Colts(supposedly).

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    actually from what im finding out the older ones were hand made in italy using the same molds that colt used. Could probably get newer parts but why would you want to on some of the early reproductions. I can see why AntiGun is looking for original parts from them as they are a bit different. Just got a message that the 1851 repros that GU made are interchangeable with the original Colts(supposedly).

Not true on the tooling. The Italians did not have original Colt tooling. Uberti repros are closest to the original Colts. They were so close that Colt chose to buy their forgings when they made the Gen 2 cap and ball revolvers (a re-release in the 70's I believe), to be finished at the Colt Hartford plant. For the Gen 3 revolvers, they simply bought finished Uberti revolvers with Colt trademarks on them and sold them under Colt Signature. You are correct that Uberti parts are supposed to be interchangeable with original Colts (plus hand fitting of course). They made them as close as possible and even with non-metric threads.

Well, if something is broken, then you would need newer parts. I've replaced broken parts on Armi San Marco and older Pietta revolvers with current production Pietta parts. They go in with a little hand fitting, nothing difficult. I believe Dixie and Taylor's Firearms Co both stock Uberti parts.

12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    FYI, Navy Arms was owned by Service Armament Inc of New Jersey. Owner was the late Val Forgett (fascinating guy, Google his bio). I worked for them back in 1962 cleaning tons of surplus military weapons while I was going to college in North Jersey. Forgett had traincars loaded with guns , many imported by Sam Cummins of Interarms in Va. Had everything from BSA 22 trainers to 57mm cannon for sale.

I have a 1961 Service Arms catalog that pictures the Navy Arms repros and even has a parts list and parts prices. Apparently this gun nsold for $89.95 back then--a very high price since catalog lists 1911a1sfor $24.95 and most milsurp rifles for around $10. back then I bought a moiisin nagant sniper rifle
    with NKVD markings---a Korean war battlefield pickup for around $12. Of course that included my $3 employee discount.

If you want, I can photocopy the pages of the catalog dealing with your gun and send to you. Send me either an email or PM with your name and address and I will send out next week.

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    Thanks for the info that everyone shared...gave me more to look into.

I actually found a company that reproduces old catalogs and one they had was the 1960 Service Armament catalog(with the Navy Arms section in it with this revolver) and ordered it a few hours ago just to have to go along with the piece. Thanks though for the offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom