• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zeusorion

MDS Supporter
    Feb 7, 2024
    Maryland
    I’m cleaning and lubricating my new dan Wesson 1911 for the first time and was wondering what everyone else uses ?

So far I see clp 4 as high rated lubricant/cleaner all in one combo.

Thoughts on using militec1 for the inside of the barrel, ever so slightly ?
    And grease on the outside of the barrel instead of oil ?
    Rails either oil or grease.

Curious because I saw a post about increased barrel pressure when there’s oil in the barrel, and Dan wessons are very tight so will very light grease be a problem if added on the outside of the barrel as well ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Grease the slides. Oil anything that rotates. Don't oil the interior of the barrel, unless you're storing it.

Last edited:

radarman

Feb 6, 2023
    Washington DC
    Bought a Wesson 1911 Kodiak last month. Have fired less than 20 rounds and saw wear marks on the exposed portion of the barrel. Called the factory, they said that was normal wear.

"This is normal for these pistols, the finish begins to wear where the slide moves around the barrel".

I'd be curious if you get the same thing.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.JPG
      IMG_0032.JPG
      292.2 KB · Views: 37

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Bought a Wesson 1911 Kodiak last month. Have fired less than 20 rounds and saw wear marks on the exposed portion of the barrel. Called the factory, they said that was normal wear.

"This is normal for these pistols, the finish begins to wear where the slide moves around the barrel".

That's normal wear and tear. :thumbsup:

Zeusorion

MDS Supporter
    Feb 7, 2024
    Maryland

Oh wow, I would email them the picture so they can see that it.
    Mine is new, manufactured in 2017 so hopefully older ones don’t do that

tomcatfan

Jan 27, 2024
    St. Marys
    I use some light grease on the slide rails and a little anywhere there are wear marks. The marks shown by radarman, yea just a light coat of grease won't hurt anything.

Zeusorion

MDS Supporter
    Feb 7, 2024
    Maryland
    You can toss some oil on the top to help reduce wear, I do also throw some oil on the locking lugs. 1911s LOVE to be lubed (rails, lugs, pretty much everywhere tbh) I did switch from ye old CLP which is an old classic to Breakthrough BattleBorn HP Pro Oil (Synthetic) https://www.breakthroughclean.com/b...tant-2oz-bottle-w-needle-tip-applicator-clear
    I’ll give this one a try ! I read a review saying they did a 1000 round test with multiple different brands and this one did the best

Zeusorion

MDS Supporter
    Feb 7, 2024
    Maryland

Does your barrel have paint on it ? Mine is stainless steel but even just doing the first clean I can see a bunch of scratches developed because of how extremely tight it is. Is grease on there not recommended ? I’m going to the range soon and may use a thick oil instead

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    my Dan Wessons came with little bottles of FP10 and recommendations to run them wet.
    I use Weapon Shield and FP10 mostly.
    I do use grease on loose guns.

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    1911's love lubrication in the right amount and in the right place. IMHO, a combination cleaner/lubricant is the wrong approach- cleaners clean, and lubricants lubricate. Clean your pistol well, the lubricate. Combination products do neither very well.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I'm sure there is but it may cost more than it did 8 years ago.
    George sold the patent (just as he did FP10) and I haven't found another source.
    That said... FP10 is still good stuff.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Lately, the past year or so, I’ve been using Lucas extreme gun oil and grease, cleaning (wiping off carbon) with odorless mineral spirits on patches. Every now and then I hit the bore with Wipe-Out. I like that Lucas oil stays wet/visible for a long time for guns that like to be run wet or I don’t shoot often.

As for oiling the bore, I always run a wet patch through and leave it damp for a gun that won’t see use for awhile. Then I just run a dry patch through before going to the range. For the bore on a gun that is in a carry or home defense role, I’ll run a wet patch followed by a dry patch or two. That will leave some oil behind but it shouldn’t be visible or run. Consult your manual.

It sounds like you are nervous about marks and scratches on your new firearm. I get it, been there as well. Just know that it will pick up wear and marks from use. I don’t abuse my guns but it happens. Also, if you haven’t taken it apart yet, take heed of the videos about not leaving an ‘idiot mark’ on a 1911 when reinstalling the slide stop. That is preventable and will cause you to say bad words lol.

I like the way this gentleman explains things. If you go to about 18:40, he talks about how to reinsert the slide stop. You can ignore all the other stuff about disassembly beyond a field strip.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom