• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I was trying to get seating depth for my Mossberg 22-250. Placed shell with long seated depth bullet into gun closed bolt, then measured and got same measurement each time (12 total). Backed off seating depth by 0.005 (off the lands).

Then when checking OAL to Saami noticed the cartridge exceeded SAAMI OAL by 0.045 Am I good to go or should I reduce seating depth by another 0.045?

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    I'm at 2.470. Have no idea what max listed coal is. Gun likes it where it is.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Seating near the lands will often result in a cartridge that exceeds max saami spec. I seat a little further off in my bolt gun, but it works well, feeds fine and they fit the mag.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    OAL depends on the throat in the barrel, bullet ogive, and magazine length. Every rifle is a bit different with its own personality. It isn't unusual to be over SAAMI spec on OAL. Thats the big thing about reloading, you're loading for YOUR rifle

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    OAL depends on the throat in the barrel, bullet ogive, and magazine length. Every rifle is a bit different with its own personality. It isn't unusual to be over SAAMI spec on OAL. Thats the big thing about reloading, you're loading for YOUR rifle

yes this is what I thought and thanks

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I've reloaded for a few .22-250's and really like the cartridge. One thing I've found very helpful (with all my calibers) is the Hornaday OAL gage and Bullet comparators. When I first started using it, I too was a little freaked out about exceeding the SAMMI COL, but now I always use the Ogive as a point of reference and my COL is routinely above the SAMMI spec. In my most recent example, I loaded a 50 grain Barnes TSX to a COL of 2.390" which corresponded to an ogive measurement of 2.076". I kind of use .02" off the lands as a starting point because it seems to represent a good compromise between seating closer for accuracy but not getting too close and running the risk of increasing pressures. Not saying it's right or wrong just that it works for me. Also use the Hornaday OAL gage for my .243s, .25-06, .308, etc., and am happy with the results.

Best,

ST.243

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom