• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    Case length is 1.515. Trim length is 1.505. I have factory loaded Sako cartridges @ 1.515 - can’t close bolt on them. Norma fits - measures at 1.505. What to do? Take bullets out of Sako, trim case and reload? Rifle is a Sako- odd they do not fit. Don’t want to force anything for all the usual reasons.

Attachments

• IMG_2195.jpeg
      IMG_2195.jpeg
      219.7 KB · Views: 28

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Case length is 1.515. Trim length is 1.505. I have factory loaded Sako cartridges @ 1.515 - can’t close bolt on them. Norma fits - measures at 1.505. What to do? Take bullets out of Sako, trim case and reload? Rifle is a Sako- odd they do not fit. Don’t want to force anything for all the usual reasons.
    I wouldn't guarantee that it is the case mouth hitting the chamber. Keep in mind that there have been a LOT of variances in "ppc" case and chamber dimensions. When I see any ppc chamber, it is a candidate for chamber casting unless I have VERY good knowledge of who chambered it and with what reamer.

To see if it is the case length without casting, coat the bullet and neck/shoulder area in Dykem. Or use a sharpie if you don't have dykem. Attempt to chamber the round. Extract and eject the round. Examine where the Dykem came off. There is a good possibility that the heads headspace dimension is different or that the projectile is seated out too far.

Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    Excellent info- thank you. And yes, the 22 ppc being a wildcat round does have a lot of variation as you call out.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Excellent info- thank you. And yes, the 22 ppc being a wildcat round does have a lot of variation as you call out.
    I've messed with wildcats, and a few non-SAMMI compliant reamers in "normal" chamberings and it's always a bit if fidgeting to get it "right". Part of the challenge.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I wouldn't be surprised if the issue is that you have a very tight chamber, rather than a length or purely headspace issue. The magic marker test should tell you. You might try to measure the diameter of the Sako vs. Norma rounds at several places. (Check and compare neck diameters as well, just in case.) The good news is that if this is indeed the issue, you may be able to resize the live rounds with a small base die (with NO neck bushing installed) or with a 6PPC small base die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom