• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    I had a question about reloading 30-06. Does anyone know if the load books tell you what is the recommended loads for a M1 garand is? I know the new factory ammo has a higher pressure and not good for a WWII / Korean War Era M1 Garand Action. If the load books don't specify does anyone know a good load preferably with IMR 4064 Powder? or know of a website that talks about this issue?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The issue with Garand loading is not so much the absolute pressure, but to avoid heavy bullets and the very slow powders associated with them. This keeps the pressure down at the gas port and avoids over-stressing the op rod (prone to bending) and other parts.

IIRC, Sierra has a Garand section and I'll take a look for a 4064 load for you when I get home later.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Hodgden Powder and Winchester and IMR are all owned by the same people? WOW I know Dupont (IMR) made billions on Gunpowder and Slaves in the beginning of the countrys history.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Yup, they are all the same now. Check out hodgden's website, they have a get database for reloading data for all three powders.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I was wrong about the Sierra manual having a separate Garand section. It's actually the Hornady book. Check your PMs. :)

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Yes thank you very much but you did'nt have to go to that trouble. I'm just happy that someone spelled out M1 Garand so I shouldn't have any pressure issues with the garand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom