• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    Shooters, I need some help. I was given a 4x8 x 3/8 sheet of steel and have a couple of ideas. First, I want to make a backstop for my rifles, largest caliber being 300 win mag. If I set this on an angle (mount it to a set of wheels) to deflect bullets downward, will the 3/8 be enough from 200 - 630 yards? The reason I ask is that I want to use 1/2 the sheet for this and the other 1/2 for pistol targets.

Secondly, if I don't need to double up the steel for the rifle, I would like to make pistol targets. I presume that 3/8 is enough for most calibers although I don't know what grade of steel it is or its hardness.

Any advice to get started would be fantastic. Thank you.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I'd drill holes and weld two plates together myself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    i would think its ok for .22 but not 300 win mag...it would prob get tore up most likely with the higher calibers. depending on angle and distance

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    i would think its ok for .22 but not 300 win mag...it would prob get tore up most likely with the higher calibers. depending on angle and distance

With the 300 Win Mag, I'm not planning anything closer than 200 yards, but could make it longer.

I have a 15 foot platform from which to shoot out to 630 yards. I'd have to work the angle, and thinking about 45 deg would do.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    since you might double it up anyway, just shoot at it as-is and see what happens. if you put a hole thru it, just make that half the back half.

another thought though is to build a nice dirt berm at each distance and cut up the steel to use as rifle and pistol targets. nothing beats the show and tell of hitting steel.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You need a proper earthen berm in any case.

Steel used for targets, clangers, gongs, whatever must be the right grade of steel.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    There is a berm & I own another 800+ yards of woods behind it & 800 yards on each side of the target line.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    since you might double it up anyway, just shoot at it as-is and see what happens. if you put a hole thru it, just make that half the back half.

another thought though is to build a nice dirt berm at each distance and cut up the steel to use as rifle and pistol targets. nothing beats the show and tell of hitting steel.

Great idea. Right, no biggie if I poke a hole through it.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Its really got nothing to do with the thickness of the steel. Its the hardness of the steel that makes the difference. Personally I would skip the steel altogether with rifles and just build a proper berm and backstop behind the firing area. Dirt wont send bullets in weird directions.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    Don't use a tree...

_DSC0128-edited.jpg

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Its really got nothing to do with the thickness of the steel. Its the hardness of the steel that makes the difference. Personally I would skip the steel altogether with rifles and just build a proper berm and backstop behind the firing area. Dirt wont send bullets in weird directions.

+1

If you can easily cut it then a bullet will

A) punch a hole through it

B) crater your metal making a dangerous ricochet potential.

Armor plate AKA AR500 steel in that thickness will drive you crazy cutting it.

If you can easily cut it I would just make steel targets and have fun for starters

Just my 2 cents

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

:thumbsup:

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County

This. Mild steel will not hold up to rifle rounds. Every strike will gouge out a crater and weaken the sheet. It will not take long to start punching holes through the steel.

You really need steel with a Brinell hardness 500 or greater to withstand sustained rifle fire (less might perform adequately, depending on what/how you're shooting). Most mild steel runs in the 130-200 Brinell range (IIRC). You might try hanging the mild steel targets to help disapate the round's energy. A hanging target will swing when struck, and much of the round's energy is transfered into moving the target; rather than punching into/through it. You'll still get damage, but the target might last quite a long time.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Yep, mild steel plate of any thickness is a safety liability. Even a shallow crater can spit little lead balls back at you.

You need armor plate-grade steel, as described above I wouldn't even use the stuff you have for pistol work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom