• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    My Dad has been buying 45 Colt ammo for a long time. I never knew how much it cost 'til I picked up a box of it while at his house... Jeez! I am going to start reloading for him.

He shoots whatever he can get has hands on, but I want to standardize on one load he can use for plinking and self defense. Thoughts?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    250gr Oregon trail cast over 8gr unique and WLP, clean, cheap, no leading, accurate, moderate "cowboy load" velocity and recoil. It's my "production" load, meaning I load this by the hundreds on a progressive, and it works well for most everything I do, costs about $9 a box to load. For fastdraw nerdery I use rubber X-bullets over a primer, fun to shoot in the house, cardboard will stop it, and you won't blow your foot off. The 250gr Oregon trail does well over 5gr of trailboss too for a powderpuff load that remains accurate. If I am looking for more power, I have loaded 230gr JFP and XTPs over 13gr of Blue Dot and it's hot for 45 colt, but not up to the full power "Ruger" loads, not much point to it though, I have faster calibers for that. Would go with Gold Dot factory ammo if he was considering using it for defense

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    255gr Lead round nose flat point, Herco, and LPPs. Good all around load, the bullets are big and heavy enough to penetrate and the meplat on the nose should do some damage on the way through. I buy mine in bulk from Bad Man Bullets in MO. 1000 bullets = free shipping. I use a mid-load from one of my manuals for Herco, it works great in my revolvers and rifles. Recoil is almost non-existent in the rifles, but you know you are shooting a .45 in a 4.5" revolver.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That begs the question of what you consider a suitable SD load for .45 Colt. On one hand, the traditional 250/255gr RNFP at traditional vels has been used with great sucuess for anything on 2 or 4 legs for 143 years. But by modern thinking it would have excessive penetration. If you/ he aren't concerned, then a duplication of standard ( non-cowboy) factory load would be an all around load. There are dozens of popular recipies, just one of which would be +/- 7.2gr of 231 .

Next option for all around load would be substitue generic 250/255gr machine cast swc at same vel ( generally using same powder charge. Most bulk commercial cast bullets will be similar $ for swc or rnfp.

Several makers offer 250gr JHP designed to perform at std .45 Colt vels, such as Gold Dot, XTP, and Nosler. Loaded to similar vels, the recoil and usually POI will be similar to the traditional factory loads. But they are pricey for plinking. You could provide him with lots of cast for plinking, and cpl boxes of JHP for social purposes.

If you already load for .45acp, look at various 230gr jhp. While they might exceed SAAMI oal, a Ruger cylinder is plenty long, for SAA length cylinders, you'll have to measure sor specific combination.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Question, most lead bullets with lube I have used produce a smoke when shot. Not as bad as black powder, but smokey nonetheless. Do you really want that for Self defense?
    I do cowboy loads with Trailboss for me and my dad for use with the pistol. But he uses regular 45LC for his rifle outdoors up to 50 yards. The cowboy loads were dropping too much and less accurate. I did not spend any time to try to deal with that. He just buys them.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I run my cast RNL 255 grain from a Lee mold over 6.6 grains of W231, very accurate out of my Ruger Blackhawk with a 4 3/4" barrel. I'm sure there are better choices by far but I wouldn't hesitate to use that load for SD if I had to, beats a 25ACP for SD hands down.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Question, most lead bullets with lube I have used produce a smoke when shot. Not as bad as black powder, but smokey nonetheless. Do you really want that for Self defense?
    I do cowboy loads with Trailboss for me and my dad for use with the pistol. But he uses regular 45LC for his rifle outdoors up to 50 yards. The cowboy loads were dropping too much and less accurate. I did not spend any time to try to deal with that. He just buys them.

I've shot cowboy action stages with Herco and lead bullets, have not had a smoky shot yet. And I don't shoot powder puff loads out of my .45 Colt rifles.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    250gr Oregon trail cast over 8gr unique and WLP, clean, cheap, no leading, accurate, moderate "cowboy load" velocity and recoil. It's my "production" load, meaning I load this by the hundreds on a progressive, and it works well for most everything I do, costs about $9 a box to load. For fastdraw nerdery I use rubber X-bullets over a primer, fun to shoot in the house, cardboard will stop it, and you won't blow your foot off. The 250gr Oregon trail does well over 5gr of trailboss too for a powderpuff load that remains accurate. If I am looking for more power, I have loaded 230gr JFP and XTPs over 13gr of Blue Dot and it's hot for 45 colt, but not up to the full power "Ruger" loads, not much point to it though, I have faster calibers for that. Would go with Gold Dot factory ammo if he was considering using it for defense

Very close to what I load also for an "all around" load. Good load, and LOTS to like about this cartridge generally!

Your Dad will be shooting 4 boxes with this load, for likely close to the cost of what he pays for one. There are certainly many other good "standard velocity" loads as well.

Maybe worth mentioning that your intended make and model of firearm is absolutely key to what .45 Colt load data you can safely utilize. You'll find data that runs the gamut from 140 year old factory replication loads, like 8 grains of Unique and the bullet mentioned, to barn burner loads intended only for specified revolvers, with most being the heavier built and stronger lockup Rugers.

As mentioned, even with standard velocity lead loads, penetration can be both a blessing and a curse with this cartridge, depending upon your intended application. That big old slug most definitely wants to keep on plugging along!

MifflinKid

Dec 30, 2010
    Howard County
    Not to be a downer but I suggest you think twice about supplying reloads for self defense. For plinking and target shooting OK. But self defense loads are too important to be left to our handmade rounds. A good box of JHP or hollow point semi-wadcutters from any of the large ammo manufacturers are likely to be more reliable than those we produce. Your father's life is worth more than $10 or $20 dollars saved on a box of ammunition.

There are good suggestions above about plinking loads. Any fast to medium powder and 225 to 260 grain lead bullet will work fine in almost all .45 Colt revolvers and lever actions. I use 250 grain RNFPs with 700-X mostly but have used Unique, Universal, HP-38/W-231, Trailboss and a few others. .45 Colt is very versatile going from mild to wild.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Not to be a downer but I suggest you think twice about supplying reloads for self defense. For plinking and target shooting OK. But self defense loads are too important to be left to our handmade rounds. A good box of JHP or hollow point semi-wadcutters from any of the large ammo manufacturers are likely to be more reliable than those we produce. Your father's life is worth more than $10 or $20 dollars saved on a box of ammunition.

There are good suggestions above about plinking loads. Any fast to medium powder and 225 to 260 grain lead bullet will work fine in almost all .45 Colt revolvers and lever actions. I use 250 grain RNFPs with 700-X mostly but have used Unique, Universal, HP-38/W-231, Trailboss and a few others. .45 Colt is very versatile going from mild to wild.
    I highlighted the operative word above, I don't see why you don't think a reloader can't load self defense rounds. Not to long ago I had 4 rounds out of a box of 20 from Hornady that had no flash hole, primer went off and melted the rim off where the extractor was holding the case. I'd "likely" put as much faith in my loads as factory rounds. YMMV

MifflinKid

Dec 30, 2010
    Howard County
    Buff7mm,

You're right. YMMV.

But for my mileage all of the guns I keep around for self defense are loaded only with ammunition from Federal, Remington or Winchester.

We all have to make decisions and trade offs with regard to firearms. This past weekend I was shooting with a friend, He had two failure to fires within his last 100 rounds. He is a very good reloader who has competed at a high level of shooting. Now, was the problem with his relatively new pistol? Bad primers? Primers not seated deep enough (my best guess)? A slightly short firing pin? I don't know. But his load is the same he has been shooting in competition for two years. He seems to have a lot of confidence in that road. But two did not go bang. For me, two clicks out of 100 are two too many.

I was giving an opinion. And yours is as valid as mine.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Buff7mm,

You're right. YMMV.

But for my mileage all of the guns I keep around for self defense are loaded only with ammunition from Federal, Remington or Winchester.

We all have to make decisions and trade offs with regard to firearms. This past weekend I was shooting with a friend, He had two failure to fires within his last 100 rounds. He is a very good reloader who has competed at a high level of shooting. Now, was the problem with his relatively new pistol? Bad primers? Primers not seated deep enough (my best guess)? A slightly short firing pin? I don't know. But his load is the same he has been shooting in competition for two years. He seems to have a lot of confidence in that road. But two did not go bang. For me, two clicks out of 100 are two too many.

I was giving an opinion. And yours is as valid as mine.

You're absoutely correct about opinions, I was mearly trying to point out that factory's can have problems also that slip past QC and come to the end user as defective without your knowledge until you need to use that ammo.:thumbsup:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

I disagree that handloads are less reliable than factory rounds. The only .45LC failures to fire I have ever had, in more than 40 years was from factory ammo. I have handloaded for the .45LC almost exclusively ever since and never had a failure to fire. Factories manufacture ammo on automated machines, as a handloader, you have control over the quality of each and every round. That is 40+ years of experience talking.
    The issue I see with handloads for self defense is the possibility that some lawyer may use it against you in court. "He specifically loaded ammunition that was extremely lethal with the intent..." comes to mind.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I disagree that handloads are less reliable than factory rounds. The only .45LC failures to fire I have ever had, in more than 40 years was from factory ammo. I have handloaded for the .45LC almost exclusively ever since and never had a failure to fire. Factories manufacture ammo on automated machines, as a handloader, you have control over the quality of each and every round. That is 40+ years of experience talking.
    The issue I see with handloads for self defense is the possibility that some lawyer may use it against you in court. "He specifically loaded ammunition that was extremely lethal with the intent..." comes to mind.

While I can see your point I would think that would be a non starter if you were using published load data from one of the bullet manufacturers load books, but I can definately see it being an issue for some dirt bagging lawyer to try to push.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Like what Uncle Duke mentioned you didn't say the firearm the load will be used in. my standard load of 10 grains of Unique under a 250 grain swc or 255 grain rnfp is too hot for the SAA and clones or S&W Mod. 25 but does just fine in my Blackhawk and Winchester.

I cast my .45 bullets and make my own lube, I figure it costs me around $0.06 a round to load. Hell....I pay more for .22 lr now.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I tesponded to the OP's specific inquiry, but the rest of the answer is to just get your Dad a box if factory loaded Gold Dot ( or other quality SD HP load, but I like the Gold Dot). I won't reopen the can of worms at this juncture, but there are several reasons to use factory ammo for delibert SD, not including any questions of quality.

Meanwhile : 1. In theory, any lead bullet will have some amount of smoke from the lube. Depending on bullet, lube, powder, etc. Sometimes noticable if you look for it, sometimes indistinguishable from powder. 2. None of them have been objectionable in actual use. I frequently use lead bulleted ammo for social purposes.

For comparison purposes, the standard loads are a bit heftier than .45acp 230gr hardball from full size 1911 .Cowboy loads are a bit lighter, but still comparable to hardball from an Officers length.

Which begs the observation that unless your dad is experienced with rapid shooting of things like "Ruger Only" .45, or full power .357 from medium frame or smaller guns, the 'Standard" .45LC ( 250 @ 850-875 fps) is a particularly sweet spot of power vs control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom