• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Hey Guys,

I’m pretty into the idea of getting either a Beryl 5.56, WBP Jack 5.56, or Zastava M90. The thing is that it seems the the whole 5.56 AK mag sourcing issue in MD might be difficult ( and they all like different mags ).

Any recommendations on these?

K

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I vote Beryl. The fit and finish is excellent and has options for easy "modernization". Arms of America offes a pinning service for the mag that comes with the rifle and any additional mags. The pin is easily removable if you go over state lines.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Klayco47 uses the M90. But those other two have good reviews. Also Zastavas have adjustable gas blocks and thicker stamped receivers/frame(like RPKs 1.5mm)

Checkout the klayco47 channel. He has lots of reviews.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I like the M90, shot that and a Beryl, both are very nice, but the M90 has adjustable gas, and the one I shot was suppressed, basically just needed a 14x1L muzzle adapter. There is also the Galil ace andFM 102 that uses 5.56 AK mags and their bufferless DI uppers. They are pretty cool, function well, and cheaper/easier to build.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    The zastava is really heavy but nice. I like that it's blued instead of painted. The beryl is probably the highest quality of the 3 but like the zastava, doesn't take standard akm furniture. The WBP is close to a standard AKM in 556 but I've seen some bad reviews in the accuracy department. The zastava gives the most mag options. I'm not sure about mag fit on the WBP but the beryl has a tight magwell so it may he limited to wbp and beryl mags unless you do some modding.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    The zastava is really heavy but nice. I like that it's blued instead of painted. The beryl is probably the highest quality of the 3 but like the zastava, doesn't take standard akm furniture. The WBP is close to a standard AKM in 556 but I've seen some bad reviews in the accuracy department. The zastava gives the most mag options. I'm not sure about mag fit on the WBP but the beryl has a tight magwell so it may he limited to wbp and beryl mags unless you do some modding.
    Cool - which mags work for you in the M90? Were you able to find mags at gun shows ?

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    The cheapest range mags would be the ac unity mags at around $12 but only see them online at arms of america.

Any of the military ak74 mags will fit (bakelite/slabsides) but you'll need to find conversion followers. I bought mine from a guy on easy that 3d prints them for cheap. I think they were around $5/piece.

Bulgarian waffle mags, beryl mags work. Haven't tried wbp but I believe they're close to beryl so they should fit. Of course zastava steel and polymer mags work great. With a little weld and file on the rear tab I've used galil mags also.

Haven't seen alot of mags at gunshows but you can sometimes find some if you look.

Beware of people trying to pass off galil mags as zastava. They look kinda alike.

If you don't have an out of state friend to get them mailed to, I'd suggest talking to some out of state gunshops to see if they can order you some.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Anyone here own the Norinco Type 84? They're a 5.56 AK that is still legal to own here, but I've heard that they're really finicky about mags. (Since they're no longer imported, they're also insanely expensive.)

Sirex