• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    The only real way to tell is work up loads with a chrony, and see the velocity vs charge weight across different brass. I load a lot of 223, the majority is with 55gr Hornady FMJ. By my notes Lake city and Win mil brass tend to take a couple tenths more powder to reach peak accuracy, and tend to produce a few FPS higher velocity, the cases weigh less, and as a result they are my preffered cases. British Radway and Privi cases are the opposite, low charge weights, lower velocity, heavier cases. All the other brands I have mixed in, most other military and commercial fall in a range between. The differences aren't huge, but coupled with PPU crimping their primers in with a jackhammer, and the brass cracking before most others, I usually separate them and Radway from the others, and use them for practice or matches where I don't plan on picking up my brass. If I am loading for longer range accuracy with expensive bullets, or my varmint bolt gun, I stick with lake City, for "bulk" loading a couple thousand for practice and matches, I use a moderate load with most other headstamps mixed.

Great post! I have processed just over 2000 .223 cases so far which I separated by head stamp. One of the last batches I did, could have been PPU, PMC, or maybe FC, took remarkably more force to resize than all of the others. At the time I was thinking maybe thicker walls or harder brass but never bothered to look into it. I should get them back out and at least do a weight comparison.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Dude, you need to get some sleep before you post. :)

Same powder, same load, bigger case is LOWER pressure.

But in other posts you are saying that mil cases have a smaller volume. But you also say:

Which makes NO sense. If you are size the outside, you also size the inside, as the two are connected. :)

Check it. Check case volume of a fired case. Resize it, and recheck internal volume. It will go down.
    You're right I do need more sleep.

Damnit, it still has 3% antimony in it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom