• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I'm researching the supplies needed to reload a new to me caliber: 50 AE. the Lee reloading manual identifies 2 weights of bullet: 300 GR and 325 GR. Hodgdon lists load data for 325 grain only.

When I go to Berry's bullets it lists pistol .500 bullets in 300 gr and 350 gr. (I assume the 350 is for 500 S&W). Is there a difference between pistol bullets listed as .50/300 gr and .500/300 gr? or do I need to find a bullet listed as .50 to ensure I get the appropriate projectile for a 50 AE cartridge? I understand the pistol bullets are the same diameter, just looking to determine whether they are interchangeable assuming I have load data for that bullet weight.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Also, when I go to find a set of Lee reloading dies, there are only 3 in the set and they are non carbide. Would it be possible to use the roll crimp die from 500 S&W to crimp a 50 ARE cartridge?

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Update: Berrys website lists bullets .500 caliber. When I select the product and click on the tab for loading tips It pops up COL for both 500 S&W 50 AE. I have ordered a supply of Berry's at 300 grains.

I haven't been able to find a Lee factory crimp die in 50 AE. The Lee set I purchased only has 3 dies. Also, Lee does not list such a die on their website. The Lee bullet seating die includes a tapered crimp. All the previous LEE die sets I have purchased included a separate FCD. I looked at RCBS and they do indeed list a crimp die. However, when I read the description it is apparently the same thing as the Lee bullet seating die, combination bullet seating and tapered crimp. Is this because the 50 AE headspaces on the case mouth and a separate roll crimp is not necessary? All the cartridges I currently reload are for autoloaders ( except .44 MAG) and they all have a separate crimp die.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Update: Berrys website lists bullets .500 caliber. When I select the product and click on the tab for loading tips It pops up COL for both 500 S&W 50 AE. I have ordered a supply of Berry's at 300 grains.

I haven't been able to find a Lee factory crimp die in 50 AE. The Lee set I purchased only has 3 dies. Also, Lee does not list such a die on their website. The Lee bullet seating die includes a tapered crimp. All the previous LEE die sets I have purchased included a separate FCD. I looked at RCBS and they do indeed list a crimp die. However, when I read the description it is apparently the same thing as the Lee bullet seating die, combination bullet seating and tapered crimp. Is this because the 50 AE headspaces on the case mouth and a separate roll crimp is not necessary? All the cartridges I currently reload are for autoloaders ( except .44 MAG) and they all have a separate crimp die.
    As far as a crimp you will need a taper crimp die.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. Check actual advertised bullet diameter .
    50AE and .500 S&W are .500/ .501 , but other "real".50 cal are .510/ .511 .

2. 3 Dies are " Normal " for handgun ctgs. .

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I ordered the Berrys bullets, they have been delivered. They mic out and .500. Thanks for the data check, i didn't realize there were 2 diameters of .50cal bullets.

I know the 50AE was originally planned to be .510, but it was reduced to .500 when the Federal Govt stayed that anything over.500 was considered a destructive device unless black powder. What cartridges use a .510 bullet?

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I ordered the Berrys bullets, they have been delivered. They mic out and .500. Thanks for the data check, i didn't realize there were 2 diameters of .50cal bullets.

I know the 50AE was originally planned to be .510, but it was reduced to .500 when the Federal Govt stayed that anything over.500 was considered a destructive device unless black powder. What cartridges use a .510 bullet?
    Berry's has been my go too for my .500 S&W bullets.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Every .50 caliber ctg before the introduction of .50AE , and some new wildcats and proprieties since .

Nominal " Caliber " is traditionally named by the * Bore * size . Projectiles are usually spec'ed by the * Groove * diameter .

Example - " .30 Caliber " = Bore size 0.300 , with Groove Diameter of 0.308 ( or 0.311 if you're British ).

ATF Didn't force Magnum Research to reduce bore size . Magnum Research themselves decided to err on the side of double caution ( or else their inhouse lawyer was stupid ) .

But once the .50AE ( actually a .49 ) was a hit in the marketplace , multiple bullet makers tooled up for .500 bullets , and many subsequent ctg developers went with that because of the ( comparitively) large variety of component bullets . A chicken & egg thing as it were .

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    ok, thanks for the history lesson. I was just going by the cartridge description on the Hornady reloading manual.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    sooo.. I've loaded up about 150 cartridges of 50 AE. The new Deagle has been less than reliable. It seems to run a bit better with factory chrome plated (steel?) cased ammo than my reloads. Every third round or so of my reloads the slide needs to be tapped to return fully to battery. Using new brass starline cases and the aforementioned Berrys 500 bullets. We are running it quite wet until the parts mate together a bit. (lube at the range, then clean and store lubed lightly just like all other handguns)

I have heard a few things about new Deagles and reliability in cycling and want to be sure I eliminate the ammo portion of the potential problems.

I am using a Lee 4 hole turret press and the lee 3 die reloading set. Neither Lee nor any other reloading die manufacturer i have checked offers a factory crimp die in 50 AE.

I tested my reloads using the barrel ( remove from the firearm) as a cartridge gage and about one third needed to be pushed slightly to be fully seated into the chamber. One was so tight I had to tap the nose with a cleaning rod to get it to fall out.

1. Is there another manufacturer of reloading dies that will thread into the lee turret disk and offers a factory crimp?
    2. If the answer to 1 is no, can I purchase a second Lee bullet seating die, remove the bullet seating plug and use it as a factory crimp die?
    3. I have also been unsuccessful locating a cartridge gage for 50 AE. Is anyone aware of a manufacturer that offers a cartridge gage in 50 AE or will i need to continue using the barrel?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom