• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    Took the plunge and am getting an 8 twist Bartlein barrel screwed on to a Rem action I have. I plan on shooting 140s. My question is: has anyone used R17 and if so, is it temp sensitive? Seems like guys are getting better speeds with it, but there is a split as to whether it is temp sensitive or not. Any verified info would be greatly appreciated

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    Not really saying that. If R17 is just as "insensitive" as H4350 and I can get 100 extra fps with possibly the same sized groups, why not. I just don't want to go down that road if it is like R15. I didn't have good luck using that powder with the 308

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Not really saying that. If R17 is just as "insensitive" as H4350 and I can get 100 extra fps with possibly the same sized groups, why not. I just don't want to go down that road if it is like R15. I didn't have good luck using that powder with the 308

I've done some reading and seems some people say it's insensitive and some say it's sensitive, gotta love the internet lol.

I would say go with H4350 as we know that isn't sensitive to Temps. Easy to account for 100fps in elevation vs not getting repeatability in groups.

140 Berger or Eld? I havent had time to work up a load for mine yet but went with eld

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    I'm going with the hornady 140 hpbt. Got a pretty good deal on 500 so I hope they shoot. If not, I'll have a couple hundred I'll be giving away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom