• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USCG_Dave

Aug 14, 2022
    Abingdon
    It’s been probably 10+ years since I bought a pistol but I am curious, can I file a 77r prior to buying or picking out a pistol to buy, so that when I do choose to buy, it’s already filed?

Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I keep a Post It stuck to the back of my HQL with at least one live app and PIN ready to go for the unexpected. Better to have and not need... ;)

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    It’s been probable 10+ years since I bought a pistol but I am curious, can I file a 77r prior to buying or picking out a pistol to buy, so that when I do choose to buy, it’s already filed?

Yes. The online 77R is independent of the gun you're buying. When you visit the FFL to do the transfer, they link them together.

With that said, the online 77R is cake and doesn't take very long to complete. You're not saving much time by filling it out in advance. In addition, once you have 1 done online, you can copy it to make the next one which saves even more time.

I do not know if an unused 77R expires eventually. I had mine sitting around for a few days before I secured a gun from gunbroker at the right price.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I keep a Post It stuck to the back of my HQL with at least one live app and PIN ready to go for the unexpected. Better to have and not need... ;)
    ^This is a great method. I do the same. One less thing to worry about if at the LGS and a good deal presents itself.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Yes. The online 77R is independent of the gun you're buying. When you visit the FFL to do the transfer, they link them together.

With that said, the online 77R is cake and doesn't take very long to complete. You're not saving much time by filling it out in advance. In addition, once you have 1 done online, you can copy it to make the next one which saves even more time.

I do not know if an unused 77R expires eventually. I had mine sitting around for a few days before I secured a gun from gunbroker at the right price.
    I used one I applied for in 2019 not long ago, I don’t think they expire.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Can someone explain what exactly the 77r is? If I still have to wait the 7 days?
    77r is the form that you have to submit for any "regulated firearm" purchase/transfer in MD. They're completed electronically on the MSP Licensing portal by the buyer (with additional detail added by the FFL once you make a purchase). On a normal buy from a LGS the approximate routing is: you start/submit a 77r (no need ot specify what you're buying), the FFL enters their info and info on the the item being purchased (they'll need the PIN # that you get back when you submit the 77r), you pay MSP $10, then wait 7 days for pickup. Depending on the type of purchase and your background, you may need a HQL.

https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MspBridgeClient/#/home

There is no way around the 7 day wait on a regulated firearm purchase.

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I used one I applied for in 2019 not long ago, I don’t think they expire.
    When you start the 77R it asks what type of sale, dealer, private party, etc. I wonder if that makes a difference? If you start one and pick dealer sale what happens if you use it for a private party sale??

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    When you start the 77R it asks what type of sale, dealer, private party, etc. I wonder if that makes a difference? If you start one and pick dealer sale what happens if you use it for a private party sale??
    I like to have a few sitting ready in my MSP dashboard in case I see something I like In a gun shop. I always start them as dealer sale. If I decided to buy something from a private party, I would probably just start another 77r to avoid any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom