• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Reliability, availability, meets FBI performance, cost. In that order, and whatever brand or preference you have afterwards. Personally I use 124 HSTs, 100% reliable in all my stuff, availabe in 20rd civvie packaging everywhere, and 50rd LEO packaging is easy to find, and is less expensive. All of their 9mm loads meet FBI specs, but the 124s are easiest to find, tend to perform as well as the +p, but without the added blast/noise in small pistols, and 147s while arguably better performing aren't as easy to find. I bought a case years ago, and just shoot cruddy carry ammo from time to time, and replace with fresh.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Outrider58 got it right…shot placement.

When the Marshall/Sanow studies were all the rage I was once criticized for using a round that was only 88% effective (one shot stops). I responded, “And if I shoot twice that’s 176% effective”. I realize it doesn’t work like that but two holes is way more destructive than one. Statistically, multiple shots are fired in a self defense scenario.

So back to outrider58…shot placement. Buy a credible defensive round that checks all your boxes, become proficient in your shot placement and sleep well.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I use 124gr HST in my CZ pistols, and carry the subcompact CZ Rami. The ammo has performed without flaw.

That said, there are few on this board who have used any sort of ammo in "social" situations, so determining suitability for purpose by querying MDS verges on the pointless.

Ultimately, you pays your money, and you takes your chances.

Every situation is different, and there are tradeoffs in every direction.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    For defensive HP I would carry roughly close to the same grain and velocity as your practice/IDPA/USPS ammo. I'd rather know exactly where the round going than gain 7% stopping power or whatever.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For defensive HP I would carry roughly close to the same grain and velocity as your practice/IDPA/USPS ammo. I'd rather know exactly where the round going than gain 7% stopping power or whatever.
    I agree.

I also believe people don't practice shooting fast and accurately at the same time. Accuracy is only half of the equation. 90% of self defensive shootings are rapid in nature, born out of immediate desperation. I'm not talking about controlled doubles, but 5-6 shot strings, aimed and fired fast.

Last edited:

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I went with 124 grain JHP years ago for home defense and now for carry simply because my understanding was that was the original bullet weight and a lot of sights are regulated for it. I try to get 124 grain practice ammo or 115 if it’s super cheap.

I tend to research’s and over think just about everything. But for defensive ammo, I just stick with Gold Dots or HSTs since they have both been around for a long time and seem to be used by a lot of LE agencies. I don’t feel the need for +P as a civilian but I could be wrong…

As mentioned above, both of those listed above are fairly easy to find in 50 round boxes which is a bonus.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    I agree.

I also believe people don't practice shooting fast and accurately at the same time. Accuracy is only half of the equation. 90% of self defensive shootings are rapid in nature, born out of immediate desperation. I'm not talking about controlled doubles, but 5-6 shot strings, aimed and fired fast.

Yep, a mag dump with 115g Remington UMC ball is going to be much faster and controlled than a mag dump with federal HST +p in 124 or 147. The UMC will give you false confidence in your control... especially if you are trying to track the dot in your window.

People like to crap on .40, but 1 thing that it had going for it was that the practice and defensive ammo were pretty much the same power and recoil impulse.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you are ever involved in a defensive shooting…keep shooting. I made a thread with videos of police involved shootings. Watch how many perps are still functional after being shot multiple times.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Or else have your practice/ IDPA/ USPS Ammo be reasonably close to your defensive ammo .

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    Or else have your practice/ IDPA/ USPS Ammo be reasonably close to your defensive ammo .

Winchester Active Duty 115 fmj flat nose clocks 1320 fps and has about the same poi and recoil of the +p 115 and 124 defensive stuff. Also the flat nose leaves a much better hole for those shots that are just touching that A zone perforation...

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I run 124gr HST1 for all my 9mm pistols some are rated at P others at +P, easier to keep it all the same.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Depends if it's 'rated' for +P and deals. Also cheaper than the smaller 'personal protection' boxes.

iu
    iu
    image-full-13723-59d86a5ebc11b7da851de497cb3e142e.jpg
    Federal-Ammo-9mm-Luger-Ammo-3546.jpg

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Some may think it is tempting fate, but I use 124 gr. jacketed hollow point handloads in all of my 9mm pistols for trips to the range and self defense. Charges are not excessive, but produce enough velocity to allow good projectile expansion and be reasonably accurate in all of my tools.

Every one of my tools will cycle and feed these rounds reliably and if ever needed in a defensive situation, the muscle memory developed firing thousands of them, might give me a small advantage.

Using a single stage press for all of my loading, I get the chance to check every step of the process before moving to the next, and usually check the charges twice before seating bullets. This results in ammo that I consider to be the best available for my needs.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Used to do the same thing when I was EDC'ing my M&P 45 - 185gr JHP or 200gr JHP - range or carry, was always my handloads. Knew the POI holds out to 250yds reliably, so that's what I carried.

I look at it this way - what you shoot and what rounds you carry, only matters if you survive an encounter and have to go to court. Dead men have no worries. :shrug:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I run 124gr HST1 for all my 9mm pistols some are rated at P others at +P, easier to keep it all the same.
    Thing is, for the added flash, recoil, and issues in some pistols, HST's +p is only 50FPS faster. About the same as the velocity difference between a 5 and 25 yard shot, and that is a best case, there will be even less difference in velocity in shorter barrels, and very little difference in terminal performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom