• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    I'm starting to reload for my 9 what are a few good loads for a starting point. Im looking for a good performing load with a nasty hollow point. My wife and i have 2 glock 17s. Thanks

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    We get all of our loads from data.hodgdon.com. Hasn't failed us yet. We have used win231 and titegroup in our glock 17 with no problems to report. Start on the lower end of the spectrum and work your way up for whatever load you choose.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Get many load books.

I use Lyman, Sierra, Hornady. Online info from Hodgdon and other powder companies.

NEVER use other peoples data. Always reduce the load and work up.

Normal recommendation is to NOT use handloads for HD/PP. Factory ammo for that. Use of handloads has been used against people in court cases.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Get many load books.

I use Lyman, Sierra, Hornady. Online info from Hodgdon and other powder companies.

NEVER use other peoples data. Always reduce the load and work up.

Normal recommendation is to NOT use handloads for HD/PP. Factory ammo for that. Use of handloads has been used against people in court cases.

Agreed with the books 100%.

The first part in bold is a safety thing, but also it is common sense. Unless you know the person extremely well, you should not trust any data that anybody gives you, to start loading.

The second part that is in bold must be taken as truth, but also with a grain of salt. While you will have the use of handloads used against you in court, because you used them in a SD/PP situation, you also have to take into account the average intelligence of the people that could/would/will serve on a jury. In WV there really wouldn't be an issue because a lot of people reload and there is a huge firearms/reloading culture in WV, but in MD you would be painted as a sociopathic, blood thirsty, psychopath, because you made handloads for SD/PP. You would probably not escape the charges leveled at you, but the use of handloads is not as damaging as it would seem on the surface. It all depends on the opinions, knowledge (or lack thereof), and expertise of the members of the jury that would decide your fate. Would you really trust a jury of your peers in this liberal hellhole to know that your handloads are less powerful than a factory load? I wouldn't trust them to be able to write their own name without somebody holding the pen for them. Buy factory ammo, it will eliminate most of the problems of ammo type should you ever have to goto court because of a SD/PP situation.

Check the Hodgdon site, Hornady book, Sierra book, Lyman's 49th, Speer, and any other book you can get your hands on. Be forewarned though, it is HIGHLY recommended that you use the load data from the manufacturer of the bullet(s) you choose to reload with. The bullet manufacturers do a lot of testing with their bullets and all the powders out there, so that their customers can pursue their hobby in a safe manner.

Not calling you out for anything Pinecone, just quoting your post to expand on some info for the OP.

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    I keep my defense gun loaded with factory ammo. I do have a loading back round with rifles. As far as bullet noses in handguns is kinda new to me, just digging to see what people are using. I'll be tweaking loads for accuracy when i get started. I figure on testing on a few groundhogs on farm. Round nose factory bullets dont work to well on them. Ive been looking at the 147s and 127s.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    To me, just not worth the risk or potential trouble. Too many good factory loads available.

I seem to remember a number of other cases that have been mentioned where it was used. Whether it makes a difference or not is hard to tell.

As for whether to use the bullet or powder manufacturer data or Lyman, they are all tested and based on the conditions in the manuals.

I have used load data from various published data without issue. But I always start low and work up.

And just because all the data shows a max load, that doesn't mean that load is safe or the maximum for YOUR firearm. And if you have two of the same firearm, the safe maximum may well be substantially different between them.

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    I understand all that and with in any given load for one gun may perform different in another thats what ive found out in rifle loads? Im thinking bullet noses in 127gr range from a ballistic stand point that seems to be the sweet spot. Im interested in seeing what guys are running in there 9s

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Good link, something to think about.

I shoot way more target ammo than HD ammo (yes, I know duh) but I keep factory hydra-shoks in my HD gun and shoot my reloads for target practice.

Yes, I know the theory "you should practice with your carry ammo" but I'm comfortable I can hit what I'm aiming at with both types of ammo.

That being said, dead home invaders make poor witnesses in court.

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    I too have recently in light of the 9mm ammo shortages have started loading my own. The main things that I have read is to be safe in doing what ever you are loading. There are many things to look at as compared to what set up to start with, eg; single stage or auto loaders. Lee, or RCBS, or dillon, powders, primers, types of brass to use and of course types of bullets. When you sit down and look at it all, it is like HOLY COW! that's a lot of stuff. I broke it down into smaller bits, mainly becuase I couldn't get it all at the same time. So i pieced it together and it is really a pretty simple concept with come minor complexities. Depends on how technical you want to get. I think what a lot have said and I agree, start low and work your way up on powder. each person gun and combo is different. Sounds like you have started doing your homework and thats a good start. I am a novice my self and like to learn and help where I can. Good luck and Happy Hunting for parts and pieces.

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    I have all the loading equipment i just need to fine noses an pick a powder. If things goes well i may up grade from a single stage loader (slow as hell) to a good dillon. From that thread it seems alot of people like tite-group powder.

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have been using Winchester 231 and have had no complaints what so ever with it. I have even gone against what everyone said about military brass. I am in no hurry and have lots of time soo my single stage press allows me to do mindless repetitive tasks that others hate doing :D deburring with a pocket reamer or a chamfer tool and the primers slide right in like butter.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I have been using Winchester 231 and have had no complaints what so ever with it. I have even gone against what everyone said about military brass. I am in no hurry and have lots of time soo my single stage press allows me to do mindless repetitive tasks that others hate doing :D deburring with a pocket reamer or a chamfer tool and the primers slide right in like butter.

You aren't the only one to do this with 9mm brass.

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    You aren't the only one to do this with 9mm brass.

Nah I am sure I am not the only one, but I don't mind doing the work is all I am saying... Most post I have read on any of the reloading forums, a lot of people try to steer clear of it. I kinda like it

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Nah I am sure I am not the only one, but I don't mind doing the work is all I am saying... Most post I have read on any of the reloading forums, a lot of people try to steer clear of it. I kinda like it

I too enjoy the simple work of preparing brass for loading. I've got a bunch of NATO 9mm and 45 in addition to 5.56. I use a Primer pocket reamer chucked into a power drill at low speed.....fingers get a little cramped, but its quicker than a chamfer/deburr tool by hand :)

Most people say that 9mm is so cheap its not worth the effort to load it, especially with military brass. Of course, thats not so true nowadays....

I cast my own 9mm bullets, so for me loading 9mm is cheaper than shooting .22 nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom