• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Recently picked up this pretty darn rare example of a Remington New Model Single-Action Belt Revolver (6.5" barrel) that is definitely of the scarce few factory .38RF conversions. Only 2500-3000 are known to have been made from 1863-1874, and this one was built on a double-action Remington-Rider frame indicative of a very early production gun (mentioned in Flayderman's pictured below). Apart from the missing front sight and a few peening marks from a likely game of cowboys and indians forever ago in some neighborhood lot or backyard...this one is sweet. It appears to be serial #131...a backwards C prefix as noted in a few books which could be a die-cracked 0, or speculated was stamped when factory converted to cartridge in 1873. The barrel legend also does not read "New Model" under the address, which is perplexing...but some of the early Rider DA guns didn't have it or had it so lightly it simply wore off, which either could have happened here...perhaps a low serial thing and it never had it. Locks up tight, and the bore is a solid 90%. Next step is to get some .38RF up and loaded to let this gal rip. I already cast the proper Eras Gone heel-based projectile and have plenty acorn blanks and powder...would just need some brass, which is coming from Canada not too far off! Firstly, this gal will make a trip to Lodgewood Mfg with David Stavlo for a once-over, a nice brass blade front sight resoldered on properly, and getting those peens sorted so brass will chamber properly in all 6 chambers. Big score here, and I couldn't be more stoked if I tried. One of the rarest Remington revolvers ever produced and here she is in the flesh.

1676339661775.png

1676339774999.png

1676339761330.png

1676339802362.jpeg

1676339735612.png

Last edited:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Really nice!

It was my pleasure dropping by your shop the other week. I'm sorry you're over an hour away from me, otherwise I'd have been in sooner, and likely more often. I still haven't tried making and loading paper cartridges using those Eras Gone By .36 cal. conicals I picked up from you. I hope I can get them started with the glue and paper in the way.

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    Awesome score! Congrats. Look forward to hearing a shooting report down the line a bit.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Really nice!

It was my pleasure dropping by your shop the other week. I'm sorry you're over an hour away from me, otherwise I'd have been in sooner, and likely more often. I still haven't tried making and loading paper cartridges using those Eras Gone By .36 cal. conicals I picked up from you. I hope I can get them started with the glue and paper in the way.

Pleasure is mine...glad I could help. This is more than a hobby for me, it's a passion. Paper cartridge is a lot of fun, but for the volume I do it's not timely.

Awesome score! Congrats. Look forward to hearing a shooting report down the line a bit.

It'll get a separate post with video when it's all sorted and ready to roar. It's been a long time since it's been fired...but it was well taken care of.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Well, the .38RF Short test ammo is loaded to prove the action and firing pin are good...loaded with .375 hand cast round balls and .22 acorn blanks with approx 13-14gr of American Pioneer 3Fg. Stay tuned for a pre-repair shooting clip later in the week!

1677637277603.png

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Well, good news and bad news. Good news is the gun WILL fire....but not with the modern .38RF cases without a little mod to the current firing pin dimension. It was striking the edge of the case, but the acorn blank is in a bit further...so while it is correct, it is not able to work with these current blanks until a slight modification (literally we're talking a millimeter or 2 here). So while my trial was technically a failure...this means the gun is capable! To be continued when repairs happen....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom