• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I recently picked up an old collection from an ailing old man downsizing, and a few of these just break my heart to see them as they are. This pic shows the good, the bad, and the ugly all in 1 image. Let's dissect this, shall we?

1. 1853 Enfield, lock dated 1861...this one actually cleaned up great and is 100% ready to shoot. Looks so much better now than it did in this picture.

2. Philadelphia Conversion Musket; a War of 1812-era staple weapon, converted and repurposed for many things later down the line...this old gal is in rough shape and I'd be wary to shoot it. Could be probably brought back, but as is, is a wall hanger and a fantastic conversation piece of US militaria.

3. A bastard child between an 1841 Mississippi Rifle, Enfield (lock), and a heavy target barreled sporting gun. 100% firewood stock, unfortunately....and a parts gun to the core.

4. This is the one that broke my heart...an original US long rifle that goes back to the 1830s or so, and then slowly rotted into what we have here. You can see how gorgeous of a gun this one was at one point...but termites, mud daubers (the bore is concrete with mud), and time have turned this one into a real heartbreaker. The barrel is swamped and the crown is coned, shes old...and the wood grain is among the type of stuff you just don't see on modern day guns, it's truly a work of art. The lock is marked I.D. on the inside as a maker's mark...and so far I've come up empty on who made it...but I'd love to put this one back out in the field. I'm just fairly sure it's a lost cause and now only a wall hanger.

Cue sad music. What do you all say? I hate seeing old history rotting...but it's all too common with guns this old, now.

277945515_769524727305930_5596370025817592252_n.png

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I’m looking from a phone here but that one, you just painstakingly remove the detriment , preserve anything solid and splice in a repair section where necessary/ appropriate of near same species and figure.
    Not just a flop and chop process, more towards preservation.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Bobby Hoyt just across the PA line north of Frederick can probably salvage the barrel. Clearly the stock is in trouble. I'll see if I can find it, but apparently the rifle identified as David Crockett's first rifle (now in a museum in Knoxville, I think) was in similar shape in terms of stock damage. Somehow, it was restored to decent shape. But I don't know if the cost is worth it.

I'd be a little surprised if it went back as far as the Revolution. That stock, especially the deep curved butt, looks more early 19th century Southern. But regardless, it's a real shame.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I'd be a little surprised if it went back as far as the Revolution. That stock, especially the deep curved butt, looks more early 19th century Southern. But regardless, it's a real shame.

You're right...it's more of an 1830s style gun. I updated my original post. I had another person help me narrow it. Either way, it's a real shame it's how it is now.

I spent the day using a rod and tornado brush on a hand drill to get whatever detriment I could out of the long rifle...and it's unfortunately pretty bad. It's up on my wall at the shop as a decoration for the foreseeable future; at least it can have its glory there.

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    I'd try and repair the existing wood on #4 with epoxy resin. Leave the scars either clear (or add a color) and let the history live on, warts and all. Or refit new stock and preserve that one along side. Sounds like a fun project...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom