• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have a few questions about membership at AAF&G if any of you can shed some light on it.

1) How onerous is the application process? I read about it online ( http://aafg.org/membership.html ) but I'm curious if it's mostly a formality or is it quite difficult?

2) Is there a substantial waiting list right now?

3) Once a full member, are there work requirements?

4) How crowded are the ranges on weekends?

5) Any other major pros or cons?

I tried out IWLA Rockville with a friend of mine last week. It's pretty convenient, but I really didn't like the facility too much. I really DO like the rimfire range at AAF&G.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I thought "canuck" was involved there. Of course the forum software says he hasn't been on the forum since July.

Why not AGC?

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    Joppa, I'm the current Treasurer at AAF&G. To answer your questions:

1.) I wouldn't necessarily call the process onerous, but it is definitely involved. It is a minimum 6 month process from start to finish. PM me and we can talk through it in detail.

2.) We do not have a waiting list. You could apply today if you had a current member to sponsor you.

3.) There are no work requirements. There are times that volunteers are requested but not mandated.

4.) This is a question that's a bit hard to answer. We only have centerfire hours from 10 AM to 1 PM on Saturdays and no centerfire hours on Sundays unless it's one of the six sanctioned weekends of the year. The ranges are, on many weekends, occupied with organized events. We could discuss this more at length if you'd like.

5.) AAF&G is a great range. There are limitations due to our shooting hours on the weekend, but we make the most of it. We have a very active groups of people shooting bullseye, IDPA, Hi-power and trap events every weekend of the year. We also host an almost monthly occurrence of the Appleseed program. If you're into rimfire, Sundays are fairly quiet down at AAF&G and there is plenty of time to shoot rimfire (10 AM until dusk). We also just started a .22 action pistol match every month on the 4th Sunday. It's a cross between cowboy action (with no costumes) and Ruger steel challenge.

Please let me know if you're interested, and we can discuss any questions you have.

Jason

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Jason,

Thank you very much, that's an excellent and informative answer. I first fired at AAF&G at an Appleseed shoot and honestly I probably would shoot far more rimfire rifle than anything else. As soon as I can put together a list of intelligent questions, I'll shoot you a pm.

mikec, with all respect to AGC, the range just seemed very crowded to me the one time I was there. I really don't like to shoot on crowded ranges, it's why I let my Continental membership lapse a few years back.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    joppaj,

I'm not an AAF&G member, but I shoot there probably 6-10 times a year, mostly their IDPA, 3-Gun and other special/tactical matches/shoots. I was there all day today (9am-14:30ish), shooting their (IDPA like), 'movers' training event. They put out every moving target they had and even had a new one (for AAF&G) a whirlygig 5-arm star, kinda like this:

966358.jpg

One doesn't need to be an AAF&G member to shoot in their IDPA (and most other matches), but you do need to be an IDPA member, and subscribe to their listserve, and be a team player (i.e. work your ass off helping with set up /break down and during the match). Also as a non-member you are at the bottom of the pecking order to get into a match (unless you are an RSO; they are open and fair about the order of merit). Also, non members pay $20 a match, whereas members pay $10; RSO's get a break too.

A fellow shooter today asked a very recent AAF&G member the same question about how difficult is it to join. His response, as best I could hear over all the shooting was that it took him almost a year; he had to shoot in 3 matches, take a pistol course, pass an interview, have his name listed for a month so if any other members had an issue with the new prospect it could be addressed before letting them join. I think there are some other requirements, looks like you are already in touch with the right folks. If I didn't live so far away I would have went with AAF&G; but I belong to two other clubs already, and like that I can just sign up and get in on most of their events.

Todays 'movers' event was the best thing I've done there in the ~3 years I've been shooting with them. They said today was the first time they tried this format, I really enjoyed that there was very little formality, just normal safety and IDPA procedures, but no score or concern about time (although your time was available if you cared). We all got to shoot each stage more than once, sometimes variations several times. I shot about 3x more ammo than I typically shoot and had about 3x more fun. It did help that the weather was perfect and everyone was more relaxed and friendly than normal.

They are having a 'zombie shoot' next month, and they frequently have BUG matches and IDPA qualifications, as well as a couple/few 3-gun matches a year; it's a great club and you don't have to join to get in on the action.

AAF&G - 5 Stars.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Joppaj , I'm the current Treasurer at AAF&G. To answer your questions:

1.) I wouldn't necessarily call the process onerous, but it is definitely involved. It is a minimum 6 month process from start to finish. PM me and we can talk through it in detail.

2.) We do not have a waiting list. You could apply today if you had a current member to sponsor you.

3.) There are no work requirements. There are times that volunteers are requested but not mandated.

4.) This is a question that's a bit hard to answer. We only have centerfire hours from 10 AM to 1 PM on Saturdays and no centerfire hours on Sundays unless it's one of the six sanctioned weekends of the year. The ranges are, on many weekends, occupied with organized events. We could discuss this more at length if you'd like.

5.) AAF&G is a great range. There are limitations due to our shooting hours on the weekend, but we make the most of it. We have a very active groups of people shooting bullseye, IDPA, Hi-power and trap events every weekend of the year. We also host an almost monthly occurrence of the Appleseed program. If you're into rimfire, Sundays are fairly quiet down at AAF&G and there is plenty of time to shoot rimfire (10 AM until dusk). We also just started a .22 action pistol match every month on the 4th Sunday. It's a cross between cowboy action (with no costumes) and Ruger steel challenge.

Please let me know if you're interested, and we can discuss any questions you have.

Jason

Joppaj ,,,,,,
    Great job Jason....and, while I am not an officer, I am on the Board of Directors, and all I can say after all you have read is... (and the Bullseye Revolver Match may well be one of your "will do" matches...)

AAF&G..:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

R

Last edited:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    We could always use volunteers .... :innocent0

Jason pretty much summed it up. For me the location is good, and the venues cover most every type of shooting discipline. I shoot there on Fridays and some weekends when not doing family stuff. If you'd like to shoot, send me a PM.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It seems that people that belong there and shoot there really like it. Thanks for the input, that helps make it a bit easier to decide if it's worth my money.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Others have explained the process but I'll add my own perspective. I'm an AAF&G member and was there all day today. I shot the club championship Ernie Clarke match and had a chance to shoot the dropping targets in the action pistol range, along with all the other disciplines. What I love about the club is the fact that there are so many disciplines in which the members can participate. For example at the championship today, they had a rifle, shotgun, bullseye pistol, action pistol and archery event....all within a couple hundred yard walk. The reduced hours on weekends are an annoyance, but the club has responded by becoming more efficient in how it holds events and also looking for other activities that it can do within the limits of the restrictions, for example the new Rimfire Challenge event on the 4th Sunday.

You asked if the new member process is onerous. Over the past few years, it's certainly become more extensive, but my personal opinion is that it's all for the good. The intent is to make sure that each new member is appropriately trustworthy and safety-conscious and also to encourage new members to try more of the various shooting disciplines than perhaps the one that brought them to the club.

Another question you asked was about volunteer requirements. Like most clubs, they exist because of volunteer efforts. AAF&G is no exception. There is no hard requirement, but certainly any and all volunteerism is welcome. Since becoming a member, I've become involved in multiple committees and activities, at the same time becoming an NRA certified instructor in Rifle and also a certified Range Safety Officer.

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    Looking at this I am resurecting a old post, I am a new provisional member at AAF&G and would like to put feelers out for guys that woulnd't mind coming out and meeting to shoot or be there for a provisional member to shoot with. The process is fairly streamlined and all though a 6 month process is for sure for the better. There are things you have to do to show your commitment to safety and dedication to keeping the club values in tact. The ranges are very nice and as some one mentioned the variety is awesome. something for everyone. So if there are any members out there, it would be great to build contacts with other members. thanks in advanced.

jthoma24

Jul 25, 2012
    Arnold, MD
    Looking at this I am resurecting a old post, I am a new provisional member at AAF&G and would like to put feelers out for guys that woulnd't mind coming out and meeting to shoot or be there for a provisional member to shoot with. The process is fairly streamlined and all though a 6 month process is for sure for the better. There are things you have to do to show your commitment to safety and dedication to keeping the club values in tact. The ranges are very nice and as some one mentioned the variety is awesome. something for everyone. So if there are any members out there, it would be great to build contacts with other members. thanks in advanced.

I am interested in joining. I live right around the corner in Arnold.

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    First thing is to have a sponsor that is willing to sponsor you. some one that has to be able to vouch for you during the process of becoming a member. one of the ways to get one is to show up at some of the shooting events they have listed and get to know some of the members. They are some pretty laid back people. they have all kinds of events for all types of shooting. weekend sanctioned events are the best time, some times the gates are open for those types of events other than that they are controlled.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    We also have up to four different rifle matches each month - AR15, Vintage, Rimfire Sporter, and Very vintage.

Not to mention Bullseye pistol, IDPA, Cowboy Action shooting, Rimfire Challenge, and Trap.

It really is an amazingly diverse shooting club for such a small physical space, and so close to civilization. One of the aspects that you have to accept is that the members truly understand the unique nature of the club's location and work diligently to make sure that the it will be a going concern for decades to come. They (we) have no tolerance for ANY behavior which might put the club at risk.

JoeR

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    I've been a member since 2003.
    Great club, good people. Have also shot IDPA there as an RSO and SO. It's worth the application process and minimal probationary period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom