• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK,
    So I'm looking at the Lee Manual for 150g 7.62x54r and Varget.
    it shows .308 bullets in the table and starting at 47gr and max of 50.5g

If I use .310 bullet, does my starting grains go down? Is there a rule of thumb?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    OK,
    So I'm looking at the Lee Manual for 150g 7.62x54r and Varget.
    it shows .308 bullets in the table and starting at 47gr and max of 50.5g

If I use .310 bullet, does my starting grains go down? Is there a rule of thumb?

Diameter in not gonna matter. Check bullet length. Always load at low charge and work up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Diameter WILL matter.

Larger bullet with increase pressure. Maybe a little, maybe a LOT.

I would look for the proper data and use it. If you cannot find proper data, you are into the world of experimenting with loads, which can be dangerous.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    the .310 is longer than my 308 and Sierra 311. so i can't follow the book on OAL for that bullet without seating it too deep. I seated it about same as a surplus round at 3.000.
    I shot them yesterday and at 47gr and 47.5gr they were low and left of PPU 182g. I have surplus ammo that is the same type of bullet. I'd like to use that as my control round next time.
    I had shot the PPU 182g cause I wanted to make a comparison of group sizes of factory ammo vs my loads and take how we'll I was shooting that day into factor.

I do have hundreds of surplus ammo that uses the same .310 bullet I may use next time

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Well, I loaded 47gr of Varget with .311 bullets for the Mosin Sniper and the point of impact in the vertical plane was nearly identical to the Russian Wolf .310 bullets. My .311 reloads was an inch or so left @ 100yds. When I used .310 bullets with the same 47gr of Varget, it was about 4in lower @ 100yds. I don't know if that means anything or not, but it shot well. This reload was about 30% smaller group than the off the shelf Wolf stuff. I think I may just build up 20 more rounds of this load and keep shooting it to see how consistant I can keep the groups and how well the zero keeps. (why is there always that one round that spoils the group?)

Attachments

• 311varget47g.JPG
      311varget47g.JPG
      11.5 KB · Views: 77

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Slug the barrel and use the right bullet!

Then start low and work the load up. Using to big of a round can cause crazy pressure levels.
    better safe then sorry!

Logan

Feb 8, 2012
    I read you have to slug the barrel to get the correct diameter bullet to use. I've used 7.62X54R corrosive ammo that came in a can. I would think that if you've used these and they worked well for you in your rifle then you can measure the bullets on this ammo and get an indicator of the size bullet you can use.

:D

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yes, I already slugged it two weeks ago using the dowel/fishing lead weight method and it was .312
    All my Mosins slugged to .312
    I used the same calipers to verify the .311 bullets were .311 to make sure my Calipers were not off.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Yes, I already slugged it two weeks ago using the dowel/fishing lead weight method and it was .312
    All my Mosins slugged to .312
    I used the same calipers to verify the .311 bullets were .311 to make sure my Calipers were not off.

Grasshopper you are doing good things!:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom