• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, assuming the state doesn't make it illegal for me to bend an AK flat into a receiver for a pistol build (or they allow receiver transfers...), how hard exactly is it to do AK pistol builds compared to rifles?

I have a really decent workshop that I had built in the backyard this past year, and I had always wanted to try some AK builds in it. The damned state is going to make the rifles illegal, but if I could screw around with AK pistols, I think that would be fun, too.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Exact same amount of effort to put together as a rifle.

Cost-wise, if you want to do a true AKS-U build with no stock you'll pay pretty dearly for a parts kit ($900+). The next biggest issue is finding a dedicated shorty barrel. Original imports are incredibly expensive. Domestically, your only two options are from AK-Builder and a guy called BlueJack (on the various AK forums). Both are pretty high-quality, chromed AKS-U barrels. BlueJack said he's done his last run, and AK-Builder has been sold out for a while.

You could always start with a cheaper standard AK kit, chop down a full-size barrel and use a combined gas/front sight block. This would work fine for a 7.62 barrel, but the twist rate on shortened 5.45 barrels is faster to stabilize the bullet. Guys have also made some very interesting "guide rod" builds that really push the limits of what you can do with a standard AKM kit.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The biggest issue right now is finding a dedicated shorty barrel. Original imports are incredibly expensive. Domestically, your only two options are from AK-Builder and a guy called BlueJack (on the various AK forums). Both are pretty high-quality, chromed AKS-U barrels. BlueJack said he's done his last run, and AK-Builder has been sold out for a while.
    I don't really care about the barrels very much. If I was talking about building some sort of magnum opus AK pistol, yeah, sure, I'd use a good one, but I just want cheap lolz and a learning experience.

You could also chop down a full-size barrel and use a combined gas/front sight block. This would work fine for a 7.62 barrel, but the twist rate on shortened 5.45 barrels is faster to stabilize the bullet.
    That would probably be what I do. Maybe I'd even screw around with rear sight topcovers, etc.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Just curious, why would a AK pistol be different from building an AK rifle after SB281 goes into effect?

EDIT: Ok, I checked SB281 and an AK pistol is a regulated weapon, but doesn't necessarily fall under the copycat scope since it isn't a rifle.

It's interesting since I just completed my first AK build from a flat. If building an AK pistol from a flat will be ok, I might know my next project.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, the state is a little schizophrenic on how they treat receivers, and I suspect it may change after SB281 goes into effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom