• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Last week I took a poll to see if MDSF thought the AMD-65 looked better with or without the front grip.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=81255

This issue outside of aesthetics was the handguard will get hot after just a few rounds, its obviously air cooled with the holes in the handguard.

I've decided I like the look of the AMD better without the front grip. It was an easy to remove, maybe took 10 minutes from field strip to removal. I like it much better!!! The finish on the receiver is HORRIBLE....lightly spray painted on and easily chips off so don't expect much if you grab one.

Here are pics of the AMD-65 out of the box.

Attachments

• AMD65 Before 002.JPG
      AMD65 Before 002.JPG
      49.5 KB · Views: 276
    • AMD65 Before 003.JPG
      AMD65 Before 003.JPG
      49.3 KB · Views: 267
    • AMD65 Before 004.JPG
      AMD65 Before 004.JPG
      46.2 KB · Views: 253

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    After removing the handguard, I wanted to make this a tactical AKM project. What I did was take a picatinny rail and used the existing holes in the receiver to attach the rail. I then put a flashlight on the rail.

Its EXCELLENT!!!! Its easy to access the light by rotating the AK counter clock wise and then turning on the light. To turn off the light all I need to do is slide my hand down the rail and hit the switch. Its very quick with practice.

I put a green AK sling on the rifle just to contrast the black rifle...not sure if i want to use a black sling but it works well both with folded and extended stock. See pics and LMK what you think?

I am using 30 rd mags....its easy to changes mags which is usually a problem with the front grip on.

The rifle is surpisingly very very light!!! its makes a great tactical AK. The project is almost done....I haven't decided if i want to refinish the receiver or does the scratches give the rifle character. Its really a crappy spray paint job.

I think you'll be impressed when its done.....
    WHat do you think so far??? more than likely the Hungarian grip will have to go.

Attachments

• AMD65 Project 002.JPG
      AMD65 Project 002.JPG
      54.7 KB · Views: 263
    • AMD65 Project 004.JPG
      AMD65 Project 004.JPG
      50 KB · Views: 265
    Last edited:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I just changed out the pistol grip and painted the front post. I like the contrast

Attachments

• AMD65 Project 001.JPG
      AMD65 Project 001.JPG
      50.8 KB · Views: 268
    • AMD65 Project 006.JPG
      AMD65 Project 006.JPG
      48.2 KB · Views: 259
    • AMD65 Project 007.JPG
      AMD65 Project 007.JPG
      50.9 KB · Views: 259
    • AMD65 Project 009.JPG
      AMD65 Project 009.JPG
      42.1 KB · Views: 255

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Looking good! I see that your AMD has the one-piece larger muzzle brake versus the barrel extension/muzzle brake. Is yours a TGI or CAI build? My TGI build also has the crappy thin paint job. Its like they didn't wipe down or degrease the reciever before it went to paint.

BTW, nice toe!

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Looking good! I see that your AMD has the one-piece larger muzzle brake versus the barrel extension/muzzle brake. Is yours a TGI or CAI build? My TGI build also has the crappy thin paint job. Its like they didn't wipe down or degrease the reciever before it went to paint.

BTW, nice toe!

Thx....The receiver is marked TGI....so far it looks like a good build

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    i would think you would burn the crap out of your hands on that metal handguard???

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    Nice job on the grips. That's gotta feel more natural. I've seen a magpul afg on one that looked like a pretty good solution for the front end. And, the wire stock add-ons like the ones from amd65 tech are fairly awful to look at but do help with converting the chin weld to a cheek weld. Never know until you handle one, though.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Looks awesome! I like the way the hand guard looks without the grip. With the added light it looks like a great go to type of gun.:thumbsup:

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I have to admit, that looks VERY cool. The AK looks much more modern like that. I'll just keep mine with the front grips though. The unique look is the whole point in the variant IMO.

Sirex