• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sep 28, 2023
    Darnestown, MD
    Hello Everyone!

Just to share some interesting results from an outing to my "home range", the Izaak Walton league at Damascus, with a fairly unknown (for the US) RF.

In Europe, DIANA is a brand associated MOSTLY with air-guns, but in Germany, it is known as the only other company that has produced Match quality RF's apart from the "Big Three" (Anschütz, Walther and, to a lesser degree, FWB).
    A few years ago, the DIANA brand, and its parent company, was bought by German Sport Guns, which is part of the "L&O Group" that also manufactures and sells firearms under a number of other brands: Sig-Sauer, Blaser, Rigby, Sauer & Sohn, Mauser, Swiss Arms, Minox, and others (I was just informed that Voere is not part of the group anymore, which is a pity....).
    SO, the groups profits from a centralization of things that all the companies in the group use (like barrels), and each company has some freedom to develop what best suits their market.

So, while there ARE several RF rifles in the group's companies' product lines, the rifle that now comes to the US under the wholesaler BLS Supply (Part of the Blue Line International Group), comes under the brand DIANA, having been developed by the engineers at Ense (Germany), originally, for BSA under the name "Exocet".

The rifle is a no-nonsense rifle that puts the money of the customer where it is of most use:
    Barrel is a cold hammer forged "thin" unit with a reasonably tight chamber. Barrel then gets wrapped and tensioned in a carbon fiber sleeve. Barrel is finished with a good crown and threaded for brakes, or other devices as/where legal.
    Stock is a synthetic, equipped with a picatinny section under the forearm's forward end. It is not adjustable, but fits pretty well most builds.
    Action is a dual, rear, locking lugs with short stroke firing pin. It feels fast.
    There is a Picatinny rail atop that is affixed with screws, so it should be possible to get a "compensated" rail if you ever want to shoot RF's out to 300 yards. As it is, it seems to me to have some compensation, but not as much as air-guns need.
    Trigger is crisp with no creep, nor backlash. I am somewhat of a trigger snob, but have found that I did not need to adjust anything in this trigger.
    PXL_20231011_132609608.jpg

10 shot magazines, that DO hold 10 shots and are somewhat inexpensive.
    Scope in picture is a Vortex Optics Diamondback Tactical 6-24X56, FFP, mRad. It has very good definition in the reticle and lots of aimpoints for drop and wind.

Sighting in at 30 yards with Aguila Super Extra Std Vel. was no problem starting from a mechanically centered scope:
    PXL_20231018_174058737.jpg
    The rig needed less than 2 mRads of "up" and 1.5 of "right" to get on target.
    And going out in range was very interesting, this is a group (shots 31 to 40) at 50 yards:
    PXL_20231018_181959266.jpg

Going out to 80 yards:
    PXL_20231018_182004720.jpg

The little rifle puts all 10 shots into less than 1.5"
    By then I had a pretty good idea of what the wind was doing and I was holding off for elevation and windage. DIFTA's rifle range is located in a ravine, so the winds, are pretty tricky, especially in the fall.

I was also shooting directly from the magazines and shooting fairly briskly (10 shots in less than 90 seconds), as the idea is to participate in the "Production" class (or the least sophisticated class) in PRS, or something like that.
    It may be possible, in some clubs, to shoot Extreme Field Target, which would also be interesting.

Not bad for an under $600 rig all in ($300 for the rifle, $300 for the scope). AND the rig likes inexpensive ammo (I paid 200 for over 3,000 cartridges a few months ago). I have to test with Aguila Target, to see if there is any difference in performance. I also need to stretch it out to 100 yards. But I need a calmer day for that I am not that good at reading the wind, especially when there are updrafts due to the layout of the range.

It is worthy of note that the barrel is new and it will settle in as it is run in with careful cleaning intervals..

DIANA has been making these rifles now for over 10 years, so the production is stable and the "bugs" have been worked out. If you are not a fan of CF barrels, there is a version with a solid barrel that does not cost any different.

If you are looking for an accurate, not too expensive, RF (it is also made in 22 RF Mag), do consider the DIANA RF 22.

Thanks for reading!

HM

Last edited:

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Good information Hector, thanks for the review and the background. I shoot a pretty good bit of 22RF - mostly through my pistols and revolvers.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Get a suppressor, it'll likely improve accuracy.

My 10/22 with Tactical solutions 16.1" threaded barrel on there runs about 1" groups with CCI standard at 50yds, but tightens up to around .7-.8" 10 shot groups with my Element 2 suppressor on the gun.

Sep 28, 2023
    Darnestown, MD
    Thanks fo reading!

I am not ready to go through the hassle$ of getting a suppressor. Perhaps in the future I will have the time to research what it would take to be able to legally build myself one. On the technical side I have no issues.

What I will try is a tunable muzzle weight/brake. Not that the SMALL RF needs any help with recoil taming, but the removal of the mushroom of hot gasses that tend to jump in FRONT of the bullet when it exits the muzzle, and with that, the removal of the turbulences through which the bullet must pass through to get to the target, do help most of the times.
    And tuning devices allow you to get the best out of whatever ammo the barrel seems to prefer.

Again, thanks for reading, keep well and shoot straight!

HM

Sep 28, 2023
    Darnestown, MD
    Hello Y'all!

I had planned on doing this earlier but, you know, life gets in the way.

I tested the gun and the Aguila Super-Extra Std. Velocity at 100 yards, and noticed that there was a vertical dispersion that I definitely did NOT care for. More than 3" vertically is a no-go in my book.

So... I procured a couple of boxes of "Competition" grade ammunition. Aguila, as well.
    And went to the range. These are typical 10 shot groups:
    at 50 yards:

O17IIk.jpg

Now, the ruler is just for scale, the group itself measures 0.9" vertical X 1.4" horizontal O-O.
    Why separate the vertical and the horizontal dispersions?
    Because part of the test was evaluating how much this loading drifts in the wind. All shots were hold to center POA.

Now, let's check the 80 yards group:
    MHFtss.jpg

This shows a 1.5" Vertical X 2.1" Horizontal
    Target was in a different location and the wind at this point has substantial vertical components (uphill when the wind is coming from the right). Again, all 10 shots were center POA.

The interesting one is the 100 yards group, first a picture of the whole target:
    RLSuyB.jpg

So that we can see that there are no other impacts. Just the 10 shots fired.
    And now a detail of the 2" bullseye:
    LFlX8s.jpg

The group measures 1.8" (1" w/o the lonely lower shot that could very well have been me) Vertical X 2" Horizontal.

Again, all shots held to center POA.

These targets give me a good idea of how the scope/gun/ammo system will perform under winds in the 6-10 MPH range, so they are useful information and, next time, if I can have a relatively calm day, I will take the precise drops for each range, then calculate MY BC, and then get a good range card.
    I generally feel well extrapolating to 150% of the max range shot, so a 200 yards group of test targets can give me reliable data out to 300 yards, but to reach out to 400, will require something else.
    As it is, with an 80 yards zero, I have to hold 1¼ mRads UNDER for 50 yds and ¾ mRad OVER at 100 yards.

I have, since then, purchased a case of the ammo (Aguila Competition) because it is not expensive and shoots real well in the small DIANA.

Since BOTH types of ammo shoot to the same POI at 50 and 80 yards, I may use one type for short range and reserve the "Competition grade" for longer targets.

I will have to look for another Club that offers longer ranges, as some of the Modern American Rimfire Series requires shooting out to 400 yards.

Any ideas for a Club that offers longer range within 90 mins driving distance from Germantown?

Keep well and shoot straight!

HM

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom