• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    So this was given to me about 25 yrs ago. The person who gave it to me is no longer around to ask where they got it or what they knew about it. It wasn't into antiques, reproductions or black powder so I put it away and forgot about it. I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas on what it might be? No markings other than 425 under the barrel. The plunger is wood with maybe bone or ivory on the end, or maybe it's plastic. I'm thinking its a repro but still would like to know some info on it. I know we have some guys who are real good at identifying firearms, so any guesses?

eb97a46d-b8cd-4737-9bc1-a23cb1d60350_zps65034a56.jpg

1860e789-67e1-477f-8f9a-ade47767fcd9_zps8b65d886.jpg

20140131_230300_zpsl1w29mzl.jpg

c1533fdc-0c6a-4b7e-a90a-c2c9d9f51596_zpsefb2e1f6.jpg

20140131_230204_zpsxdrvqjhw.jpg

58552d0b-dce6-4537-ba5d-870515edb8f7_zps097b55db.jpg

6b1b26ba-a4f6-4843-859f-7af29aec4fee_zps911b4e11.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I'd guess it's a decorative wall-hanger reproduction of a very ornate flintlock pistol.

I'd bet it's made of pot metal, and I'm guessing the vent is not drilled. I would hope the barrel is blocked or only partly drilled, but the maker (Spain??? Japan???) might have considered an undrilled vent and a soft, non-sparking frizzen to be enough to prevent some damfool from trying to fire it.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Have you taken it apart to see if any markings are hidden? If European and made to fire their should be proof marks.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Has a fake look and feel from the pics....wall.ornament.

I've been wrong before. Will be again.

Thats my guess, definately not a firing piece. Look at the lock its all brass or brass paint coated you cant strike spark on brass.

Still neat for mornings you wake up and want to play pirate

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Looks like a indian repro

Is the flash hole drilled (Lift up the frizzen, to expose the flash pan)?

Attachments

• flintlock4a.jpg
      flintlock4a.jpg
      15.8 KB · Views: 410

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    The flash hole is drilled all the way, I blew compressed air through the flash hole and it escaped out of the barrel. It will throw a spark, not a shower of sparks but it does spark. The frizzen has a steel face. Pretty sure this would fire, but I'm not going to try. Might try and make smoke with it.

I took it apart and their are no proof marks, but all the metal pieces and the wood frame have the same 425 stamped on them, so I'm guessing that is the ID / serial number.

I been doing a little looking around on google and found similar markings/carvings on both the wood and metal searching Italian snaphaunce. Might try a muzzleloader forum and see if they have any idea.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If you want to try to fire the pistol. Use only a paper wad, with real black powder (not the modern substitutes).

At least, until you are confident the pistol will handle pressures to propel a ball.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Barrel smooth or rifled?

I would try the muzzleloading forum, you will likely have to set up an account to post.

Looks like it will be good to go on Talk like a Pirate day.

Karl

Mar 7, 2013
    It has every sign of a non firing repro but still it looks more well made than the usual suspects.
    Make me wonder if it is an actual functioning gun even though I wouldn't want to be the one trying it.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    Barrel smooth or rifled?

I would try the muzzleloading forum, you will likely have to set up an account to post.

Looks like it will be good to go on Talk like a Pirate day.

Barrel is smooth bore.

I was curious and 10 minutes of google and I found this:
    http://www.icollector.com/Italian-R...t-w-Carved-Wood-Stock-Accoutrements_i10062318

Lots of pictures, note the "made in italy" on the left side
    I can't tell 100% but looks pretty darn close.

That's it! Identical except the ramrod on mine is different. I was looking at that site, somehow I missed it. The Google is strong with you.

the second Pic in the OP has a "made in ____ " I can barely make out. but it looks pretty close to me as well.

I dont think I would be shooting it

You have good eyes. I didn't even notice that. It does say Made in Italy. Barely visible, I had to get my phone cam out and zoom in and then I was able to make it out.

Another mystery solved by MDS. No lost treasure but I'll hang on to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom